uniqs

Dsm1995
join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA

1 edit

Dsm1995

Solid or Stranded under house?

hope I put this in right section...
im going replace my ethernet cable that's under the house that I put in a hurry cause my dad was tiling the inside of the house and I left it a mess by using patch cords everywhere. As long as one or the other is ul rated, would it be ok ?

I figure it be good time to redo my network at same time. I cant run cable thro walls so that leaves me with surface jacks. solid seems only sold per 1000ft witch is a lot for what I need and lowest price is 80$ on amazon that's ul rated&cca. I did some measurments and for 2 jacks per room + extra for"screwups lol, 500ft is most I would need.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

In my area you can buy solid CAT5E from Lowes and Home Deport by the foot.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Dsm1995

Premium Member

to Dsm1995
said by Dsm1995:

hope I put this in right section...
im going replace my ethernet cable that's under the house that I put in a hurry cause my dad was tiling the inside of the house and I left it a mess by using patch cords everywhere. As long as one or the other is ul rated, would it be ok ?

I figure it be good time to redo my network at same time. I cant run cable thro walls so that leaves me with surface jacks. solid seems only sold per 1000ft witch is a lot for what I need and lowest price is 80$ on amazon that's ul rated&cca. I did some measurments and for 2 jacks per room + extra for"screwups lol, 500ft is most I would need.

I have found that a good rule of thumb is to use solid wire for distribution cables, and stranded wire for patch cables. The reason is because of the nature of the connection. Solid wire works better than stranded wire for the punch down or screw terminal type jacks. Stranded wire is more flexible and also makes a more reliable connection inside the RJ45 connectors that can stand up to the frequent twisting and jerking that can occur in patch cables.

A distributor I have used for several decades is Dalco. If you go to »www.dalco.com/c-1031-cat ··· tor.aspx you can find some 500 ft cat5e options. However, cat6 (if you need that), is only available from them in 1000 ft spools.

Another distributor I have used is TigerDirect. If you go to »www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· &Recs=10 you will also see some 500 ft spools of cat5e cable.

Dsm1995
San Diego, CA

Dsm1995

ok thanks for the lnik to dalco... I just have to make sure I get keystones for solid wire...

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Dsm1995:

ok thanks for the lnik to dalco... I just have to make sure I get keystones for solid wire...

Every RJxx style keystone jack that I have ever used has had "110" style punch down blocks, and that by default means that they are designed for solid wire. Of course that does not mean that other types might not be available, but I have never encountered any other type.

You are probably thinking about the different styles of insulation displacement RJxx plugs that mount on patch cables. Those do come in stranded wire and solid wire styles. The plugs designed for solid wire nick the outer surface of the wire (just like a punch down panel), but the plugs designed for stranded wire push into the center of the strands.

Samir
join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL

Samir to Dsm1995

to Dsm1995
All I'd say is try to get the best wire you can as you don't want to be back up under there again anytime soon to diagnose an intermittent connection issue.

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

cablegeek01

On this note...Put in conduit if you can (1/2" is fine), along with a pull string. That way you can add an additional cable if needed, or switch to better cable or fiber as the years go on. The extra $50 spent on conduit and boxes will not be wasted.

Samir
Madison, AL

Samir

Yes! Very good point! Conduits rule! Just be sure to use smooth bends and multiple strings in case one gets hung up or broken.

Dsm1995
San Diego, CA

Dsm1995

ok thanks, ill see how much it would be to get conduit I need.. im gathering the supplies and once I have everything, ill do it all at once witch shd be in may or june.. I work part time after all lol

Samir
Madison, AL

Samir

Cool. If you've got some lead-time, you may be able to find conduit and stuff on craigslist as construction companies sometimes dump their extras from projects online.

Also, a bit off the subject, but what type of DSM you have? I can kinda see it in your avatar if that's it. That's my Corvette in mine, but I actually have 9 cars, lol.

Dsm1995
San Diego, CA

Dsm1995

its the Lancer WRC 03 I believe....»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi ··· ncer_WRC same body as the 02-03 base model but with a awd drivetrain and 4g63t... but mitsu since pulld out from wrc competition for some time ( I own a 03 oz rally ). im tring to find a dsm, but finding one that hasn't been destroyed/noobed is another issue...

back on topic, got cat6 jacks, surface boxes, patch panel... next pay im ordering cable cause my cc bill is due in 4 days lol

Samir
Madison, AL

Samir

I hear you on finding an unmolested DSM, especially now. Most of them have gone through all sorts of carnage. It's hard to find one that's just lived a normal life since they're so old now. I have a 96 Galant with the 4g64 that I did the Baer big brake upgrade from the Eclipse of the same generation. It's amazing how many of the parts between the two were the same. I have my pick of performance parts--if I can find them.

Think about geting shielded connectors too. I don't think they cost that much more, but it's just some extra security for a trouble-free network.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

said by Samir:

Think about geting shielded connectors too. I don't think they cost that much more, but it's just some extra security for a trouble-free network.

If shielded cable is not being used, shielded connectors are an unnecessary expense. If not installed properly, they can actually create more problems than they have the potential of preventing.

Standard UTP cable is designed so that most noise sources do not interfere with the signals traveling over the cable. It is more than adequate for use in most environments.