uniqs
share rss forum feed

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 edit

[IPv6] or IPv4, choose one or both?

I now have an ipv6 address and connection properties says internet on both ipv4 and ipv6. Do I need to disable ipv4 for the Kame page to work? Do I need to dump Open DNS? Or both? Or what?
--
Iphone. Helping computer illiteracy become popular since 2007

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA

Re: ipv6

I guess I shouldn't worry. All the other IPV6 test sites acknowledge IPV6.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to PeeWee
said by PeeWee:

I now have an ipv6 address and connection properties says internet on both ipv4 and ipv6. Do I need to disable ipv4 for the Kame page to work? Do I need to dump Open DNS? Or both? Or what?

Is »www.kame.net/ the site you can't access?

I can access the site using Comcast's DNS, and both Comcast and OpenDNS are supplying the same AAAA record results:

C:\>dig -t aaaa www.kame.net @75.75.75.75

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> -t aaaa www.kame.net @75.75.75.75
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 42542
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.kame.net.                  IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.kame.net.           86400   IN      CNAME   orange.kame.net.
orange.kame.net.        86400   IN      AAAA    2001:200:dff:fff1:216:3eff:feb1:44d7

;; Query time: 499 msec
;; SERVER: 75.75.75.75#53(75.75.75.75)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 23 03:09:51 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 90

C:\>dig -t aaaa www.kame.net @208.67.222.222

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> -t aaaa www.kame.net @208.67.222.222
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 61758
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 8192
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.kame.net.                  IN      AAAA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.kame.net.           41147   IN      CNAME   orange.kame.net.
orange.kame.net.        41147   IN      AAAA    2001:200:dff:fff1:216:3eff:feb1:44d7

;; Query time: 78 msec
;; SERVER: 208.67.222.222#53(208.67.222.222)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 23 03:10:10 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 90

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
When accessing this site »www.kame.net/kame-mosaic.html what I see is the mosaic dancing turtle. Which I guess means no ipv6. But all the other test sites say I have it and is the priority in the dual stack. I did however have to dump Open DNS as ipv4 server.

I am going back to check on keeping the ipv4 dns.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by PeeWee:

When accessing this site »www.kame.net/kame-mosaic.html what I see is the mosaic dancing turtle. Which I guess means no ipv6. But all the other test sites say I have it and is the priority in the dual stack. I did however have to dump Open DNS as ipv4 server.

I am going back to check on keeping the ipv4 dns.

I tried the site using a Mozilla based browser on Windows, and with KDE's browser on OpenSuSE. I only saw the turtle image, and I know that I have full IPv6 on both of the boxes I used. I say that the test on that site is just borked (their home page does say that the KAME Project was terminated in March 2006).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

PeeWee
Premium
Madera, CA
Thanks.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to PeeWee
said by PeeWee:

When accessing this site »www.kame.net/kame-mosaic.html what I see is the mosaic dancing turtle. Which I guess means no ipv6.

If you access www.kame.net (i.e., the home page) and the turtle is dancing, then you are accessing www.kame.net via IPv6.

If you access www.kame.net (i.e., the home page) and the turtle is not dancing, then you are accessing www.kame.net via IPv4.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

I tried the site using a Mozilla based browser on Windows, and with KDE's browser on OpenSuSE. I only saw the turtle image, and I know that I have full IPv6 on both of the boxes I used. I say that the test on that site is just borked (their home page does say that the KAME Project was terminated in March 2006).

The site still works fine for me. I am running FireFox 19.02 on Windows 7-64bit. I use he.net for a IPv6 tunnel.

Try putting the IPv6 address of the site in your address bar:

»[2001:200:dff:fff1:216:3eff:feb1:44d7]/

and see what happens.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by camper:

If you access www.kame.net (i.e., the home page) and the turtle is dancing, then you are accessing www.kame.net via IPv6.

If you access www.kame.net (i.e., the home page) and the turtle is not dancing, then you are accessing www.kame.net via IPv4.

said by camper:

said by NetFixer:

The site still works fine for me. I am running FireFox 19.02 on Windows 7-64bit. I use he.net for a IPv6 tunnel.

Try putting the IPv6 address of the site in your address bar:

»[2001:200:dff:fff1:216:3eff:feb1:44d7]/

and see what happens.

Actually, I saw the animated turtle no matter how I accessed the site. I guess that something just got lost (for me) in the Kanji to English translation, because I interpreted the text that accompanied the graphic animation as saying that there was supposed to be a different animation if you accessed the site via IPv6 (and I think the OP made the same mistranslation).

And thanks for clarifying how to interpret the test results.
--

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Go here and the turtle does not dance »203.178.141.194

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by graysonf:

Go here and the turtle does not dance »203.178.141.194

Actually, I just got through going to »www.kame.net/ from an IPv4 only connection, and the turtle was indeed comatose if not dead.

I mean seriously, how hard would it have been for the site coder(s) to just say "If the turtle is dead, you are using IPv4; if the turtle is swimming, you are using IPv6"?

Update:
There actually seem to be three turtle images on that site.

There is the in focus swimming turtle that indicates IPv6.

There is the blurry swimming turtle that supposedly indicates IPv4 (but if you use the »www.kame.net/kame-mosaic.html link that was supplied by the OP, you can also see it from an IPv6 connection).

There is the in focus stationary turtle that indicates IPv4.

--

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
Cool now I have a new site for me to give users to test..