spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Gib4500
join:2003-12-08
Sardis, OH

Gib4500

[Fixed] air fiber tech...

my isp uses air fiber tech. So far i'v had the service for over a week and it has been a great connection. It is amazing how low of pings i get through the service. Does anyone have much info about this tech. I believe it is something new that just came out recently. I'v gotten pings as low as 8ms!!!!

My isp is wvhotspot.

davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

»www.ubnt.com/airfiber
Interesting use of some very high frequencies that are unregulated.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

I think the OP is mistaken. I can't imagine any ISP using Airfiber for last mile.
Gib4500
Sardis, OH

Gib4500

no im not mistaken that is what i was told they are using. Also my internet has been great with very low pings. I'm curious why you think i'm mistaken.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

Well, just because you were told "air fiber" doesn't necessarily mean that is the product they are using. They could simply be stealing the term and calling their service by that name because it sounds good.

If they are using that specific product, it would only be for backhaul between towers. The links are very expensive and they would need to install on at the tower for every single customer if they were using it for the "last mile".
Gib4500
Sardis, OH

Gib4500

yea i'm not sure how their setup is. You seem to know about this stuff. All i know is they have a dish antenna thing installed at my residence pointing at their gear. One of my friends was talking to them and they have some kind of mesh network with dr setup. After doing some research that's probably what they have is the product between towers. I'm wondering what equipment they have then reaching their customers around here? I think they have about 6 customers in my small town and with the product it had to be line of site. Also i'm able to get as low as 8ms ping times. Thanks for the input.
Gib4500

Gib4500 to jcremin

to jcremin
actually the antenna installed at my residence looks like this nanobridge m5 on this page... »www.ubnt.com/airmax#nanobridgem this is under their air max technology from that company. Maybe this is what their using?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

That AirMax Nano would be the more common equipment installed, but AirFiber is sure cool technology if you could get it, if you needed it.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin to Gib4500

to Gib4500
Yeah, the nanobridge M5 at under $100 would be pretty common. 5ghz needs pretty clear line of sight, although it can penetrate some branches here and there. 2.4 ghz still won't go through a lot, but can be non-line of sight assuming the obstructions are fairly limited.

The AirFiber is around $3000 for a link. Just think how bad one tree would be on 24ghz.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to Gib4500

to Gib4500
Airbridge 2 and 5 look very similar too... anybody's guess what the OP has
Gib4500
Sardis, OH

Gib4500

i'm just really thrilled to actually have good internet. I think it's sad that the fastest at&t offers here is 3mb download speed and the cable internet is horrible here. So i'm thrilled to have this option. The guy actually has his gear across the river from where i live in ohio. His gear is in wv. I think that's so ccol i can just bypass all the wires over here. I also didn't realise the pings could be so low on wireless. I'm very impressed so far. It's way better than the competition is here.