Premium Member

Got my DirecTV installed on Friday

Click for full size
Genie is huge, 27
Click for full size
Cleaned up some of the wiring.
Click for full size
DirecTV dish (reused)
I had DirecTV from 2006 to 2010 and I took an offer from Comcast (big mistake) so I got DirecTV back with an offer for home phone through Verizon. We reused the old dish but the LNB had to be replaced with one of their new SWM LNBs. He also ran new wire from the dish to the house.

We put the power inserter in the basement between the splitter and the Genie. The genie is huge. Picture is so much better. My installer worked for a contractor. They now activate through handhelds. The cinema connection kit is hooked up to the genie via Ethernet cable.

The installer cleaned up the wiring as well, the landlord has been recently demanding that cable/satellite installers do their work in a professional workmanship like manner and not the so-called "hack job".

I'm keeping Comcast for Internet only.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

Do I see a hughesnet or exede cable in the middle picture of to the right? If so you should'nv never picked them.. Internet satellite is a very last resort even after dial up. If you had DSL before then you just stepped in somethin you don't want part of.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by diablo18926:

Do I see a hughesnet or exede cable in the middle picture of to the right? If so you should'nv never picked them.. Internet satellite is a very last resort even after dial up. If you had DSL before then you just stepped in somethin you don't want part of.

That dual wire dates back to the dual (A/B) cable system before Comcast rebuilt the system. It is real handy as you can feed DirecTV on one line and the cable modem on the other. When I had Comcast for TV, the second line fed the cable box so I could minimize the splitters. That line you mention goes from the basement to the second bedroom. The unit only had CATV wiring going to the family room and the master bedroom and I occupy the second bedroom so I paid Comcast to install an outlet in the second bedroom and at the time they used dual coax as they had the old A/B cable system.

Comcast now uses one wire and DirecTV now uses a single wire with their SWM technology. DirecTV used to be a PITA to install as each tuner required its own line to the dish. When I had DirecTV from 2006 to 2010, I had to set up a truck roll each time I wanted to add a receiver or upgrade to a DVR as it required additional wiring.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

ah alright.. Just makin sure, don't want the wrong people getting scammed.