... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to spectrumhead

Premium Member

to spectrumhead

Re: SFP module for 100km

I am helping some high school classmates who are installing fiber all over the city where I was born. They are buying similar SFP modules from China for $500 max. So $1250 seems a bit high. But USA/Canada distributors have more overhead cost and you are also getting some assurance that they won't substitute a sub-par clone.

BTW my friends borrow Fluke test set from the local engineering university to measure the loss of the fiber length before and after install and to check the SFPs against spec. They learned the test process using Fluke's excellent instruction videos. Maybe you can do the same and determine exact losses for yourself.
spectrumhead
join:2009-05-03

spectrumhead

Is there any link for those Chinese SFPs that I can check ? There is a big difference in price between $500 and $1250.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by spectrumhead:

Is there any link for those Chinese SFPs that I can check ? There is a big difference in price between $500 and $1250.

Beware of seconds, they may match the specs on paper, but once in service and aging they may not turn out to be such a good deal long term and if you do not have a light meter, you will not a have a benchmark to work from if and when the link fails.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to spectrumhead

Premium Member

to spectrumhead
said by spectrumhead:

They are Huawei "compatible" SFPs made in many different factories.

This is first link in my Google search but beware of such online stores.
»www.pc-wholesale.com/tra ··· sfp.html