Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheBiggyChee

@comcast.net
reply to Johkal

Re: [CDV] No More Free Batteries

said by Johkal:

So, everything that CDV touts about not sharing bandwidth with the HSI portion of your connection is false? Explain! That's contrary to the FAQ about it and what so many understood.

Here a simple Wikipedia: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comcast_Digital_Voice

"Xfinity Voice is similar to VoIP, but differs in that it operates on a dedicated server and assigns priority to the information sent over the Xfinity Voice network, and also means that the information is not transmitted over the public Internet."

Although Comcast does not route calls over the public Internet, it does share use of their own network with Internet traffic. For example, whenever I was downloading large files, phone calls were garbled and Comcast could only solve the problem by installing a second modem because their voice modem does not implement QOS properly. I now use Vonage and although it shares use of the Internet, I do not have the same problem I had with Comcast.

Comcast recently raised my rates to $52/month including modem which is a lot more then Verizon POTS so I went with Vonage Basic Talk $9.95/month (not a teaser rate!). Better service and more than 80% savings!

TheBigChee

@comcast.net
reply to EG

said by EG:

said by C_Chipperson:

really? I've read the exact opposite on these forums in the past, that CDV doesn't take away from HSI bandwidth

It doesn't.

My experience is that it does. I had garbled phone calls whenever I was downloading large files and Comcast could not solve the problem so they installed a second modem!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

said by TheBigChee :

said by EG:

said by C_Chipperson:

really? I've read the exact opposite on these forums in the past, that CDV doesn't take away from HSI bandwidth

It doesn't.

My experience is that it does. I had garbled phone calls whenever I was downloading large files and Comcast could not solve the problem so they installed a second modem!

That could be an underpowered eMTA not being able to processes high Internet data rates and phone calls simultaneously.

egeek84
Premium
join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TheBigChee

said by TheBigChee :

said by EG:

said by C_Chipperson:

It doesn't.

That is so not true. We've had CDV since last year and it's been crystal clear EVEN during intense HSI usage. In fact I have tested this myself and have had like 10 downloads going on Steam and streaming a movie on Netflix and the voice quality is perfect.

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to owlyn

I think I read the CDV battery is good for 5hrs standby, 3+ hrs talk. That's for the "standard" (1/2 size) one. If you get an extended one (fully occupies the slot), I think it might be close to 9 hrs.

I'm guessing in event of an AC outage, some portion of the cable modem portion of the modem shut's done, maximizing power for the phone line. If so, then the internal battery would provide longer uptime than an external UPS.

I got new triple play server Feb 20, and had at least 4 different phone calls saying that since my service started prior to the Feb 26 policy change, I should have had the right to get a battery. Took FOREVER, but finally I got a nice agent who put in my request, and actually called to follow up that I received it.

The 1/2 size battery I got was pretty chincy for the $40+ you'd ordinarily pay. I'd hope that if I bought it outright (ebay), I could get either the full size one for the same price, or the 1/2 size one for cheaper.

I loved the way the bill made it sound like battery backup for phone service when the AC power was out was now an option that you could pay for (battery).

Does anyone know what their monitoring service is? I guess technically it wouldn't be that hard to have an automated system send an email to your Comcast email acct if it detects the battery is low.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TheBigChee

said by TheBigChee :

said by EG:

said by C_Chipperson:

It doesn't.

Then you have an eMTA problem, as a second modem would do nothing in terms of expanding bandwidth. Not questioning your experience with it, just the conclusion.

I have never had any problem with multiple devices running, video streaming, interfering with phone calls.

I too however installed a second modem...but for a different reason. That way when I'm rebooting the modem and such, I'm not knocking my wife off the phone...good for domestic tranquility!
--
Deeds, not words