Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702

Premium Member

Re: [NV] Cox Fiber - Not Getting Correct Speeds

Click for full size
Alcatel-Lucent 7210 SAS-M
said by cooldude9919:

said by lilstone87:

So what kind of equipment does cox have at your place, providing that supposed 500/500Mb connection?

Depends on if they do a sonet build or not. We have a few fiber connections with them, here is one on a sonet ring.

man they gave you alot of stuff they just gave me a Alcatel-Lucent 7210 SAS-M and a Backup battery
dalekinder
join:2009-01-17
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

I dont mean to be to nosy, but what does cox charge for that a month? I dont see pricing for it. Also what kinda game servers you hosting. Thinking about getting a fiber connection like this soon, and from cox.

SteveLV702
Premium Member
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702

Premium Member

said by dalekinder:

I dont mean to be to nosy, but what does cox charge for that a month? I dont see pricing for it. Also what kinda game servers you hosting. Thinking about getting a fiber connection like this soon, and from cox.

just the fiber connection its a little over $5,000/mo but then after all my IPs which is another additional $2,500/mo I am paying a little over $8,000/mo

Regarding game servers everything from Counter-Strike, Minecraft, all the Counter-Strikes, on..... then I have teamspeak servers, webservers, exchange servers..... All where hosted elsewhere me paying over $20,000/mo me bringing in-house...
dalekinder
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder

Thats understandable. I currently host 5bf3 servers, 5 web, 5 CSGO servers and 10 Minecraft. All over 2 t3 lines.

SteveLV702
Premium Member
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702 to dalekinder

Premium Member

to dalekinder
said by dalekinder:

well to think about it though now my contract though for the $8,000/mo showed /20 IP Allocation which I guess Corporation denied until I fill out a IP Allocation form so as of right now I only have /23 and /30 so as of right now I am not even sure what I am paying
dalekinder
Jacksonville, AR

dalekinder to SteveLV702

to SteveLV702
And they are just about maxed out. And At&t refuses to give me more bandwith.
dalekinder

dalekinder to SteveLV702

to SteveLV702
Correction in my post not t3 lines 2 T2 lines*** and they are charging me about 3800/month.
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx to SteveLV702

to SteveLV702
That's crazy man. I had 3 cabinets at PhoenixNAP and 2 gig e lines with HE.net and I was spending $4800/mo.. It was that much because 1 cabinet has 2 30amp power drops, that alone was 2k.

I retired a bunch of old machines, spend a decent amount on new hardware and now 3 cabinets are down to 1 with everything but database servers running in vmware.

$2500/month in IPs? Why not go directly to ARIN?

SteveLV702
Premium Member
Las Vegas, NV

SteveLV702

Premium Member

said by nickphx:

That's crazy man. I had 3 cabinets at PhoenixNAP and 2 gig e lines with HE.net and I was spending $4800/mo.. It was that much because 1 cabinet has 2 30amp power drops, that alone was 2k. $2500/month in IPs? Why not go directly to ARIN?

I tried to go directly to ARIN as I am currently using 3970 IP with current provider who charges me $1 per month per IP and Cox charges a $5 per month ARIN is like $0.20 per year so hell ya I wanna go through ARIN but they require that you have to have atleast a /20 SWIFT through your UPSTREAM Provider. Well my current provider isn't SWIFTing them to me and wont let me keep them... So currently I don't meet their guidelines...
nickphx
join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ

nickphx

For that price they should SWIP them to you. Even a non-portable, provider owned block of space.

I have a few /25's that my colo SWIPd to me and several /27's from HE.net. I even have my own ASN and announce some other space.. I just never had the need for more IPs to run the gauntlet with ARIN.
cookiesowns
join:2010-08-31
Irvine, CA

cookiesowns to SteveLV702

to SteveLV702
said by SteveLV702:

said by dalekinder:

just the fiber connection its a little over $5,000/mo but then after all my IPs which is another additional $2,500/mo I am paying a little over $8,000/mo

Regarding game servers everything from Counter-Strike, Minecraft, all the Counter-Strikes, on..... then I have teamspeak servers, webservers, exchange servers..... All where hosted elsewhere me paying over $20,000/mo me bringing in-house...

5K / month? That's $10/mbit. Is there a specific reason on why you want to single home cox for $10/mbit? I'm sure there are plenty of good DC's in Las Vegas that can backhaul off to Dallas or LA for additional carriers?

Hell I'm sure you can negotiate sub $2/mbit with nLayer, TiNet, or even cogent on a 1G @ 10G 95th burstable.

I guess you're hosting these inhouse ?

As for a good switch, I would suggest 3560X, 3750X, or Juniper EX3300 or EX4200.

There are some brocade options as well such as the new ICX series.
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

cooldude9919 to SteveLV702

to SteveLV702
said by SteveLV702:

said by cooldude9919:

said by lilstone87:

So what kind of equipment does cox have at your place, providing that supposed 500/500Mb connection?

Depends on if they do a sonet build or not. We have a few fiber connections with them, here is one on a sonet ring.

man they gave you alot of stuff they just gave me a Alcatel-Lucent 7210 SAS-M and a Backup battery

Looks like you are on sonet as well. At least for me we had 20mbit, and they wouldnt overprovision to overcome the sonet overhead of around ~4%. At 20mbit its not a huge number, but at 500mb you will only be able to get ~480mbit. Now maybe for you they overprovisioned, not sure. Obviously thats not your main issue, but still something to keep in mind. Obviously you just need more horsepower to drive that connection, and as had already been said a layer3 switch may fit the bill.

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to dalekinder

to dalekinder
said by dalekinder:

Optical service pricing is always on a per-contract basis, as there is almost always a construction build out requirement that has to been included into the contract which is extremely variable. We also offer Optical service at practically any bandwidth level you'd care to pay for, so it's not something that can be easily pre-packaged.
CoxVegas

CoxVegas to SteveLV702

to SteveLV702
said by SteveLV702:

I tried to go directly to ARIN as I am currently using 3970 IP with current provider who charges me $1 per month per IP and Cox charges a $5 per month ARIN is like $0.20 per year so hell ya I wanna go through ARIN but they require that you have to have atleast a /20 SWIFT through your UPSTREAM Provider. Well my current provider isn't SWIFTing them to me and wont let me keep them... So currently I don't meet their guidelines...

IPv4 address space is getting extremely scarce - getting a contiguous /20 is Not Easy. (I know, it doesn't seem that way to a lot of end users, but trust me, the ISPs are feeling the massive pinch, and ARIN and the various registries are being a LOT more stingy with IP allocations).

That being said, the SWIP requirement should only be if you're trying to get a multihomed block. At /20, you qualify for getting a straight out end-user allocation, although you'll need a good bit of documentation showing either current utilization or immediately planned utilization for the space - again, ARIN is being tight-fisted with space.
CoxVegas

CoxVegas to cookiesowns

to cookiesowns
said by cookiesowns:

As for a good switch, I would suggest 3560X, 3750X, or Juniper EX3300 or EX4200.

There are some brocade options as well such as the new ICX series.

Ah yes, I forgot about the Xs - those came out after I got out of the day-to-day top-of-rack switches. (I suppose the 3750-Es would also work, but those were priced silly back when I was doing it, the Xs were better and cheaper).

Anyway, I can't OFFICIALLY recommend any one piece of hardware, so don't take any of this as an official Cox blessing - your requirements are unknown (routing? NATting? Crazy ACLs? Policing? Etc.) and you'll need to do some of your own research with your needs in mind to determine the best route to take.
cookiesowns
join:2010-08-31
Irvine, CA

cookiesowns

They are a fair good bit of kit, however we ended up on EX4200 due to our requirement of netflow / jflow, in which the "X's" needed the 10G netflow module which added onto the BOM.

The new 3850's from cisco seem to be very, very nice however!