spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bsdaiwa
join:2004-06-04
Fullerton, CA

bsdaiwa

Testing a Unmanaged Switch

Can anyone tell me how I might test a switch that is unmanaged, to determine if it is functioning properly? I have a Linksys SD208 switch on my home network and one of the ports has failed and I am not sure if the others are working properly so I would like to test it. They seem to be functioning but I am not sure. I have done a continuous ping to each of the devices attached to the switch and after 5 minutes there was no loss. The lights for each of the ports seem to cycle on every once in a while as if I have restarted the switch. Does anyone know if I can do any additional tests?
Thanks
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

One way would be to place a large file (a movie perhaps?) on a shared folder of one of the systems (Let's call it "A") on the net. Then copy the file to another system (Let's call it "B". After each copy from A to B, move the patch cable for B to a different port and copy the file again. If the port resets mid-copy, it's likely that Windows copy will fail.

Then again, for around $25 you could replace the switch with a new 8-port Gigabit switch.
bsdaiwa
Fullerton, CA

bsdaiwa

said by HarryH3:

One way would be to place a large file (a movie perhaps?) on a shared folder of one of the systems (Let's call it "A") on the net. Then copy the file to another system (Let's call it "B". After each copy from A to B, move the patch cable for B to a different port and copy the file again. If the port resets mid-copy, it's likely that Windows copy will fail.

Then again, for around $25 you could replace the switch with a new 8-port Gigabit switch.

Thanks, I will give that a try. Would you have a suggestion for a switch, I need to make sure the switch can handle WOL.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

This one is decent: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 1&cm_sp= and Newegg runs special deals on it for $23 or less pretty often. I nabbed one for $18 on Black Friday, but haven't seen it drop that low again since.

I can't think of a reason that any basic switch wouldn't pass a WOL packet, but that doesn't mean that some don't.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to bsdaiwa

MVM

to bsdaiwa
I'd add throughput testing software, but given the price of a 4 or 8 port GigE switch these days, if you're not
sure about it, buy a new one.

Regards

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to bsdaiwa

Premium Member

to bsdaiwa
After copying the large file, do a MD5 or SHA1 checksum on it to make sure the data didn't get corrupted! I've had a dying switch corrupt packets on me...

/M
bsdaiwa
Fullerton, CA

bsdaiwa to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
Could you suggest a throughput testing software? Also, the network is setup at my home in Southern Brazil and access to a good reasonably priced switch is out of the question. I will have to wait until I return to USA in May to pick up one. That's why I need to test, otherwise I would just replace.
Thanks
bsdaiwa

bsdaiwa to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

After copying the large file, do a MD5 or SHA1 checksum on it to make sure the data didn't get corrupted! I've had a dying switch corrupt packets on me...

Ran the large file transfer and the checksum and they were correct.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to bsdaiwa

MVM

to bsdaiwa
IPERF, or it's Windows-specific version, xjperf

Regards

captylor
@bellsouth.net

captylor

Anon

old school dos command window program to use is.
Netcps »www.netchain.com/netcps/

Even makes it nice to test the trough put of NIC settings.