how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dunninger

join:2000-10-12
Arlington, VA

[FiOS Phone] I hear voices (Arlington/Falls Church VA)--solved

Aside from the voices in my head, I have been hearing other voices bleeding onto my phone line for the last few months. The voices usually in Spanish were sometimes accompanied by music. We hypothesized that this might be a radio station. After going back and forth with phone support, we determined that there was no problem at the ONT, but was somehow an issue with inside wiring.

Tech came out today. When I mentioned the problem, he instantly knew the solution and applied a filter at the ONT which solved the problem. Apparently this was a known problem with an area AM Christian radio station that is picked up when the inside wiring decides to act like an antenna. He said it was a particular problem in this part of Arlington and Falls Church. Just posting in case anyone else is struggling with the same problem.

We have the Digital Voice product but I imagine the same problem would exist with the regular voice service.

LostInSpace

@verizon.net

Re: [FiOS Phone] I hear voices (Arlington/Falls Church VA)--solv

Receiving AM stations on copper phone wiring has been going on ever since they started broadcasting amplitude modulation. If a slightly corroded place usually where the wire is connected to a terminal exists the RF can be rectified by the poor connection and you get free 24/7 radio on your phone. In the old days adding a capacitor to shunt off the small modulated signal was provided by the phone company. Rectification and detection of the radio station would usually only happen if you were in close proximity the transmitter or it the signal was very strong in your location. I did not know that good old Verizon would actually fix something like that for free especially since they charge a bounty to customers who believe that their internal phone wiring might suddenly disintegrate and melt in front of their eyes. The wiring protection plan is a good way to bilk old ladies out of $5 or so a month for nothing. In your case adding a 10 cent capacitor was all that was required.

Light Guy

join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ

said by LostInSpace :

I did not know that good old Verizon would actually fix something like that for free especially since they charge a bounty to customers who believe that their internal phone wiring might suddenly disintegrate and melt in front of their eyes. The wiring protection plan is a good way to bilk old ladies out of $5 or so a month for nothing.

The reason there is no charge is because it is not inside wire or customer provided equipment that is causing the trouble. These radio interference issues can be heard right at the Nid or Ont with the inside wiring disconnected.

With Fios, the Optional Wiring Maintenance Plan also covers coax, splitters, barrels and ends The only exception is that Verizon provided amplifiers are covered without the plan.

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to dunninger

I use to get CB radio interference on my computer speakers, weird part was it was really loud when the speaker volume was turned all the way down!
--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

During the cold war and the good ol days of Over the Horizon Radar the Russians had such a large and powerful radar it would interfere with telco signals all over the world. They had to make special filters just for it.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker

jjam

@verizon.net

Believe it or not, a dsl filter will fix this problem also.