share rss forum feed

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

Squirrels and bird feeder

How do I keep squirrels from eating bird seed out of my bird feeder?

It is a rather large bird feeder suspended from an oak branch attached with rope.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

Here is what I've tried over the years:

1. attach the feeder to a narrow pole in the middle of nowhere with no trees over it - failed.

2. squirrel proof feeders that close (shift down) when the weight of the squirrel hangs on it - failed.

3. Bag type metal netted "squirrel proof" feeders - failed.

4. Give up and feed the squirrels and birds - success.

About the only thing I have not tried is the spinning bird feeders ... because 50 bucks is a bit extreme... but I have enjoyed watching the youtube videos of them... most owners note that eventually the squirrels get used to the spin and continue to eat.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9H-HtBJ2fw

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
They also have one that delivers a shock to the squirrel via a 9 volt battery but does nothing to the birds.

»squirrel-free.com/ - don't know what prices are like though.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to exocet_cm
About the only way you'll thwart the ingenious creature is to put the feeder on a pole in the middle of a pond. Squirrels aren't good swimmers.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to exocet_cm
I think short of killing all the squirrels, the best you will be able to do is get one with a cage around the feeder that is large enough for birds to get in or stick their heads in but small enough to keep the squirrels out. Even our cardinals and wood peckers have adapted and can get seeds out of our feeder now.

Although I did have a chipmunk fall asleep in the tray one time the Duncraft selective works pretty well
»www.duncraft.com/Duncraft-Metal-···e-Feeder

Fat City
Premium
join:2003-03-10
Freedonia

5 recommendations

reply to exocet_cm
So you have a problem with squirrels in your bird feeder? That's adorable.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

It is a rather large bird feeder suspended from an oak branch attached with rope.

You don't. The best you can ever do is put them off....for an hour or two at most.

Not even worth worrying about. They will out think and out manoeuvre you every time.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,504 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

mattrixx

join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL
reply to exocet_cm
I have had "some" success with a large clear plastic round shroud which tapers around and more than covers the periphery of the top of my bird feeder.
The feeder itself hangs down from a hook set in the middle of a large tree branch. The hook goes through the shroud to the top of the feeder.

The "secret" is to first use a good car wax on the shroud, buffed and polished to make it as slippery as possible. This is key to success! However with time and weather,
you will have to repeat the waxing pretty much as you would a car!

Fun to watch as they climb down the hook from the branch and as soon as they hit the shroud, slip right off, around the feeder, and down to the ground... at least until the buffed
wax sheen lasts.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to exocet_cm
First, get rid of the rope, it's a squirrel highway. get a metal pole to hang your feeder at least 10 feet from the tip of all over hanging branches so they can't jump to the pole.

Use this baffle:
»wildbirdhabitatstore.com/http-//···575.html

It's too big to scale, and the internal collar allows it to wobble, further discouraging them. I've never had a squirrel get past one of these.
--
The curse and blessing of the human brain is whatever we can conceive, will be done, regardless of the consequences.

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to exocet_cm
I've taken a WD-40 type spray and put it on the poles that the squirrels used to climb up. Now they get up about a foot and then slide down. Their claws just don't grip.
Just have to reapply the spray every once-n-awhile.
--
»www.caryontech.com

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to exocet_cm
Using safflower seeds will keep them from bothering the feeder that has this type of seed in it once they realize what it is.
And the birds still like it.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to exocet_cm
I have a similar feeder to that Yankee one. On mine you can take off the ring and just leave perches. Makes it harder for the squirrel to grab. You can also adjust how much weight the feeder will take before openings for seed close. 5 House Finches will close it.

I've watched squirrels at the local Nature Center trying to get into the other type of squirrel proof. The one that looks like a normal feeder with a bar for the birds to perch on. The center has it on a plain pole away from the building. If the squirrel tries to jump to it, he just slides off or closes it by hanging on the bar. They've had it for years and it must work.

I have the feeders on long poles attached to the porch railing.
Everything is out of the damn deers' reach. I've got the heated birdbath up where the deer can't get to it. Bambi can get lost.

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
reply to exocet_cm
Induce a pair of red-shouldered hawks to take up residence.

No squirrels.

No mice, moles, voles, chipmunks, or large bugs.

After three years and the fledging of eight juveniles, it took another three years for the population to recover. We now have a new pair in the process of building a nest.

Deer, that's another matter.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Robotics
said by Robotics:

Using safflower seeds will keep them from bothering the feeder that has this type of seed in it once they realize what it is.
And the birds still like it.

I forgot about that - my mom used safflower seeds in her feeders.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

KA0OUV
Premium
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Fat City
I showed my family your picture. My son got creative. He made a meme.

»www.quickmeme.com/meme/3ti7om/

Fat City: You are famous!

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

Cayenne pepper on the branch at the trunk.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

DSL987

join:2000-03-22
Helotes, TX
reply to exocet_cm
Pellet gun?

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX

1 edit
reply to exocet_cm
Electric fence

intok

join:2012-03-15

1 recommendation

reply to exocet_cm
You need one of these for hours of enjoyment:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL7tbPymrc0

If they figure that out then you need one of these:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=L58rg_w1ZB0

If that still doesn't work get one of these and problem solved:
»www.drozdmax.com/bb-machine-guns···ird.html

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to exocet_cm
Good luck they are clever little beings.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2a5AA30RTY

--

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to exocet_cm
Feed the squirrels. Away from the house.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
reply to exocet_cm
Target practice!

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to exocet_cm
Get another feeder and make a small sign for it that says "Squirrels Only"....problem solved..:+)
--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.