spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Leviathan
join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

[IN] Curious about MediaCom Cable Internet Service in Northern I

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience with MediaCom in Northern Indiana. Currently with CenturyLink but their bandwidth exhaustion for the past 18 months have been ridiculous. So switching over to MediaCom and just trying to figure out what to expect from them. any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You for you time.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Re: [IN] Curious about MediaCom Cable Internet Service in Northe

If you send me your address, I can check the modems of the local area and see what signals/utilization/etc. you should expect from the local CMTS and node.

Lazy Senior
join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL

Lazy Senior to Leviathan

to Leviathan
said by Leviathan:

Was wondering if anyone can tell me about their experience with MediaCom in .........

Just about every Mediacom Customer has a Hate/love relationship with Mediacom. The best advice is to just try the service and decide for yourself. They have a 90 day moneyback guarantee so there is no lo$$ if they do not meet your expectations.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

That is correct as well. Mediacom does have a 90 day guarantee.
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

Thanks for the response. Think it's safe to say customers have that for any ISP. Just some ISPs tend to be worse off than others. Getting their up to 30mb service and to be honest, won't bother me if we only get 15-20 out of it as long as I don't have to deal with the ping we get with CenturyLink (ie 500-1300ms between 3pm-1am). We've had their cable tv service ever since it came to the area and only had 3 counts that i can recall of issues, first 2 boxes just needed replaced, last issue just needed to replace the original cable line to the house. Looking forward to switching phone/internet to MediaCom.
tdawg
join:2012-01-09
Des Moines, IA

tdawg

Just to let you know we were having the same issues with CenturyLink so we switched to Mediacom and we LOVE!!!! it we were promised 12 down and we get between 28 and 35 down. YOU WILL LOVE IT
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

Nice. Think one of our largest concerns is the fact we currently have 2 tvs connected to cable boxes + 6 additional tvs connected via cable. So worried about signal strength in that regard. And since we are getting phone and internet added, unsure how stable everything will be. But like I said, and I'm sure you can agree, can't get worse than already is with CenturyLink.

OldCableGuy
@communications.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

The internet / phone modem should be installed before any of the TVs so the signal to that should be fine, but you might need an amp for some of the TVs off the 6/8 way depending on how you have it set up.
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

If I remember correctly, we have the main line split into 2 running 1 to each end of the house, from there, each line is split off to run to each of the tvs. Will they provide an amp if it is needed? If so, any idea if there is an extra charge for it?

BAINCH
MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH

MVM

Yes they should provide an amp if needed. No there shouldn't be any additional cost for that.
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

That's a relief. Thank you for the response. And thank you to everyone who has responded. Greatly appreciate it. Can't wait till the 2nd and see how everything turns out.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

You are welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions or issues!
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

Will definitely be contacting you once everything is hooked up to get the port forwarding info and what not, Although now that I think about it. With my concern of having so many TVs hooked to cable, having phone service as well, assuming we wouldn't be able to have a separate line run just for internet without paying extra.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

It is possible. If you need a dedicated line for signal the technician can run that for you.
tdawg
join:2012-01-09
Des Moines, IA

tdawg to Leviathan

to Leviathan
You might want to buy your own moodem because your in a 2 year contract for internet which you will pay 5 bucks a month wich turns out to be 120 bucks. when you can get the Surfboard Sb5150 which is the same modem mediacom gives you for $60 at best buy or walmart
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

or just buy a d3 modem.
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan to tdawg

to tdawg
I'll keep that in mind. If MediaCom replaces bad/broken modems at no charge, may just stick with the one they provide given my track record in the past. Thank you for the suggestion. Will be sure to look into it.
Leviathan

Leviathan

Installation is now complete. Went smoothly and didn't take long at all. Phone works great as well as the internet. »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6568.png Only thing I was not so thrilled about was not getting the DVR today. According to the installer, they were currently out and will call to schedule a time to bring the DVR over when they get more. Seemed odd to me but no biggy. Just glad the internet/phone is working great.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

there out because someone is an inventory moron. The other problem is the new tivo boxes that should have been available months ago are still no ready.

BAINCH
MVM
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH to Leviathan

MVM

to Leviathan
said by Leviathan:

Installation is now complete. Went smoothly and didn't take long at all. Phone works great as well as the internet. »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6568.png Only thing I was not so thrilled about was not getting the DVR today. According to the installer, they were currently out and will call to schedule a time to bring the DVR over when they get more. Seemed odd to me but no biggy. Just glad the internet/phone is working great.

Please let me know if you don't get a call on the DVR within a few days.

Thanks.
BAINCH

BAINCH to GLIMMER

MVM

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

there out because someone is an inventory moron. The other problem is the new tivo boxes that should have been available months ago are still no ready.

The Tivo solution is on schedule. I'm not sure where you got the information that it should have been available months ago but that is inaccurate.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by BAINCH:

said by GLIMMER:

The Tivo solution is on schedule. I'm not sure where you got the information that it should have been available months ago but that is inaccurate.

I was told they should have been out in Q1 ok months ago was a bit but still... It should not take 6 months to bring an existing product to market. The tivo mini is been out since January. Mediacom needs to do something to get out of consumer reports bottom feeder area. I am sorry but your losing subs because you have been lazy deploying nex gen equipment. Directv has had a whole home dvr for 4 years now.
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan to BAINCH

to BAINCH
Actually. Got a call a few hours after I posted. Someone will be here tomorrow between noon and 3pm EST to install the DVR.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

That's great news Leviathan. If you need anything feel free to message me on here.

BAINCH
MVM
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH to GLIMMER

MVM

to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

said by BAINCH:

said by GLIMMER:

I was told they should have been out in Q1 ok months ago was a bit but still... It should not take 6 months to bring an existing product to market. The tivo mini is been out since January. Mediacom needs to do something to get out of consumer reports bottom feeder area. I am sorry but your losing subs because you have been lazy deploying nex gen equipment. Directv has had a whole home dvr for 4 years now.

Mediacom has had a whole home DVR for 3 years. The Tivo solution is not an existing product in so far as the product we will offer supports functions like VOD that the commercial Tivo does not.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

your pace dvr solution is not a true whole home solution....

BAINCH
MVM
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH

MVM

said by GLIMMER:

Ok, I'll bite. What is missing from the Pace DVR solution that separates it from your definition of a true whole home solution?
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by BAINCH:

said by GLIMMER:

Ok, I'll bite. What is missing from the Pace DVR solution that separates it from your definition of a true whole home solution?

last I looked you charge for each DVR Dtv charges just once for a DVR. And do you have a box that can record 5 shows while watching 1? My DTV setup a hr34 or genie, 1 hr24 dvr, 3 h24 hd boxes. With mediacom you would charge me 2 dvr fee's. And when I had the pace box the software was clunky. I am supprised since pace makes dtv boxes you could not get a whole home solution like theres. Just my .02

BAINCH
MVM
Blooming Grove, NY

BAINCH

MVM

said by GLIMMER:

said by BAINCH:

said by GLIMMER:

last I looked you charge for each DVR Dtv charges just once for a DVR. And do you have a box that can record 5 shows while watching 1? My DTV setup a hr34 or genie, 1 hr24 dvr, 3 h24 hd boxes. With mediacom you would charge me 2 dvr fee's. And when I had the pace box the software was clunky. I am supprised since pace makes dtv boxes you could not get a whole home solution like theres. Just my .02

The Pace solution provided six tuners, so you could record six shows simultaneously or record five and watch one etc. There was only one multi-room DVR fee but there was an additional per-box rental fee. I believe DTV is similar unless you buy the box although I haven't reviewed their pricing in detail recently. I would agree that Rovi iGuide (which is on the Pace solution now) is less elegant than the Tivo UI although I suppose that is a my subjective opinion.
Leviathan
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

So as I said earlier, we did get a call shortly after install was complete about someone coming by today, scheduled between 3pm-5pmEST, had made a mistake in time in previous post, regardless, so far, no one has called or shown up yet. Not sure if there was a scheduling mishap or what not. Just thought I'd post an update about it.