Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

Electric Tire Pump

Hello,

The other day the low tire pressure icon came on my dash. Because of the weather, I let it go a day to see if the icon would go away, but it didn't, so last night I stopped at a BP station and checked the tire pressure. All the tires were about 30PSI (recommended 33PIS according to the the label on the door panel), except for the driver rear, which read about 20 PSI (it was hard to read on that old gauge).

I filled the tires up to 33PSI, and the icon went away. I checked this morning and still no icon -- I would think if I had a leak it would have shown by now -- but I'll monitor it.

All of this brings me to my two set of questions:

1. I want to buy a pressure gauge. At first I thought of an electric one, but I'm thinking of going with a manual one so I never have to worry about battery life. I am thinking about this one: »amzn.to/Yl7Yq1

2. I also want to purchase an electric tire pump. I looked on Amazon and there's so many kinds, and different prices. I want something under a reasonable price ($40-$70). I was thinking of one that plugs into an AC outlet, but now I think I should get one that plugs into the cigarette outlet so I can use it when I'm not near one.

Are there any recommends for both items I am looking for? Some of the tire pumps have built in gauges -- I assume that shows me the PSI as it's pumping air into the tire?

I'd like one that has a case so I can leave it in my car and not have to worry about it.

Thanks,

Rob
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
kudos:1

I carry the Black and Decker on the bike and in the car. It will fill a tire from flat to 40psi without a jack (on the cheaper ones you have to unload the tire to get it too fill in a reasonable amount of time)

40 bucks at the Depot.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

Thanks. Is it this one?

»www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER···Xl1dfZ8E

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to Rob

that be the one!

skipon11
Premium
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Rob

It is not uncommon to lose 1 to 3 lbs of air in a week. Tire pressure should be checked weekly.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Rob

I prefer this type of pressure guage:
»www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/89555/10002/-1

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

reply to skipon11

said by skipon11:

It is not uncommon to lose 1 to 3 lbs of air in a week if the tire or wheel has a leak. Tire pressure should be checked weekly.

Corrected.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
reply to Rob

»www.target.com/p/black-decker-ai···10541453
This one works with electric plug or 12Volt. I've had one for years. It takes a while, but will go a 100psi tire from zero on the motorhome.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to skipon11

said by skipon11:

It is not uncommon to lose 1 to 3 lbs of air in a week. Tire pressure should be checked weekly.

Don't forget also cold plays into it as well.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Rob

Just slightly above your price range, but this bad boy inflates tires so much faster than the typical plug-into-the-lighter-socket compressors that I think it's well worth the extra money: »www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-10···4&sr=8-1

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN
reply to Rob

You probably have a small leak in that tire - maybe caused by a screw or a nail or a loose valve in the stem. It's been my experience that leaks like this lose a few pounds per day, so it could take another day or two before your TPM registers it as a problem. Tires will leak down under normal circumstances, of course, but unless there is a problem somewhere, generally all the tires on a vehicle will do this at roughly the same rate, assuming that they were all at roughly the same pressure to begin with.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
reply to Rob

Colder temps can cause that. Keep an eye on it but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

JJV
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA
reply to Rob

I went with this one for my work truck.
The tires require 80 psi and most pay gas station pumps wont do that.

»www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai···pt=C0337

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to Rob

Those dial gauges are great UNTIL you drop one, then they're toast. Brookstone has replaced two for me already from their lifetime warranty... still it's a PITA bringing it in for that. A simple pencil type is cheaper, accurate (as long as you buy a decent one) and can be used with one hand:

»www.amazon.com/Camel-Tru-Flate-P···00WJ91I6

You didn't mention make, model or year of vehicle. Do you REALLY need to carry a compressor in your car? TPMS will report a low pressure reading, a concern but rarely an emergency. Keep a reliable gauge in your car and if you need air find a place that has a free tire inflator. IIRC Hess gasoline retailers all have no charge air compressors, and you should have one nearby in FL.
--
I turned on my computer for this?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

I have never found a pencil guage to be accurate at all - no matter the price. One of the things I like about the one I linked to is that it is tested and accurate to +- 1 pound.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
reply to Rob

I have both kinds of pumps, A/C powered version that I use when at home and do tire pressure checks and find a tire deviating from what it should be. I also have the "cigarette lighter" powered version in my emergency kit in one of the vehicles.

Both vehicles have TPMs on them. If the loss of pressure continues, take it to a tire place that knows how to handle TPMs. When I got new tires for the Tahoe, I had the TPM maintenance added which included new valve stems, etc. One of the valves on my Tahoe was leaking and that cured the leak.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Rob

From my experience if your pressures were that far off you have a leak and you might as well have it repaired now. Correct or not it was explained to me that these dont actually monitor for a flat tire. They monitor for a ununiformed pressure across the 4. Since yours went to a 10 pound difference i believe you have a flat. Might be really slow but i think you will be making a trip to the tire store. My guess would be sometime this week it goes back on. Because it uses the other three for reference there isnt many false positives.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Irun Man

I have a 2011 Nissan Rogue. I don't attend to keep it the entire time in the back of my car, but something I can throw back there if I am going on a long trip (or down to the everglades). But one that will work in the car and with AC.

I saw the pencil ones, and I use to have one, but I wasn't sure how accurate those are?
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob

TPMS typically detects a 10% PSI loss. Filling the tire to the door sticker value should make the indicator go away.
An inexpensive tire gauge is typically accurate to 1% so the determination should be close enough to the sticker value assuming the tire is checked when cold.
A gauge on the pump is convenient but not really accurate due to the heat added to the tire by hot air added by the pump.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

Correct or not it was explained to me that these dont actually monitor for a flat tire. They monitor for a ununiformed pressure across the 4.

This was only true on early versions of tire pressure monitoring systems that used the ABS system to monitor wheel rotation speed.

Most all current and recent systems use an actual pressure sensor. These DO monitor tire pressure directly.

--
The talented hawk speaks French.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob

I vote for having 2 compressors. A 12 volt one to carry with you and a nice compressor that plugs into home power. I carry a 12 volter in the pickup and it has saved me time on the road many times, where it would have been difficult and inconvenient to find air somewhere else. Others have posted great units to consider. Mine is in a compartment behind the rear seat, with chains, tow strap, jumper cables and other crap.

It may take a little longer to inflate, but that is cheaper than ruining a tire [I often tow trailers at their weight capacity or the pickup is loaded at or beyond max payload]. Others have given some good examples of 12 volters. Plus it can be used it to inflate inner tubes, air mattresses and such, if into camping or outdoor activities. Most come with the proper nozzles to do that stuff.

For the A/C home one, get as much compressor that you can as to capacity and volume output. If you are like me, once I had one [given to me by a friend], I found all kinds of uses around the house, yard and outbuildings. Staplers, nailers and such. I have 125 feet of hose attached to mine, so I can set the unit up just about anywhere. Do not cheap out, but get one that will cycle off and on when set pressure is met, and has the means to "set" the pressure output.

For my carry with me, have one I picked up at Harbor Freight for around $20 - 25 with the many 20% off coupons that they publish. It and another one I picked up somewhere have done me well over the last 30 years. Once in an emergency, even used a hand pump. do not recommend that as an alternative.

As to your leak, I am going to assume you do not have steel wheels, but alloy or aluminum composite of some sort. Over time I have had several vehicles develop slow leaks at the sidewall where the sidewall of the tire meets the wheel. Understand that this can be a common occurrence. Usually takes dismount and then buffing and other tricks to clean the surface. A good tire shop or mechanic with right tire tools will have seen that in the past and be able to fix it quickly.

hth

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to HarryH3

said by HarryH3:

Just slightly above your price range, but this bad boy inflates tires so much faster than the typical plug-into-the-lighter-socket compressors that I think it's well worth the extra money: »www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-10···4&sr=8-1

Yep that's a good unit I've heard nothing but good things about it and I will be picking one up over the summer.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rob

Click for full size
Click for full size
A friend gave me this.

Can I use this? It's missing a hose, so I would need to buy a hose and the tire inflator part (not sure what that's called).

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Rob

yeah you can use that and get the tire chuck so you will be able to inflate, It's best to get one that has a psi reading on it, I like the milton air gauges but they can be a little spendy.