spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jimfuquay
join:2013-03-23
Arlington, TX

jimfuquay

Wireless receivers performance

Moving to Uverse from DirecTV and have signed up for wired receivers. I asked for wired because I have never had a wireless video connection I thought was anywhere near as good as wired. But I assume wireless is a neater install, meaning fewer cables, which is appealing. I only have two HDTVs, so it's not like it will be a big expense for wireless. So, how good are the wireless receivers when it comes to picture quality, my No. 1 priority, and reliability? I really don't want to be rebooting regularly. Thanks.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by jimfuquay:

Moving to Uverse from DirecTV and have signed up for wired receivers. I asked for wired because I have never had a wireless video connection I thought was anywhere near as good as wired. But I assume wireless is a neater install, meaning fewer cables, which is appealing. I only have two HDTVs, so it's not like it will be a big expense for wireless. So, how good are the wireless receivers when it comes to picture quality, my No. 1 priority, and reliability? I really don't want to be rebooting regularly. Thanks.

When I had Uverse I had two wireless STB's. I prefer them over wired! They were fast, more responsive and cleaner. I'm not sure if anything has changed, but I was only able to pair two wireless boxes up with the access point they provided. Picture quality was just as good as the wired boxes.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to jimfuquay

MVM,

to jimfuquay
I have 2 wireless receivers and they work quite well. They give you an access point for every 2 wireless receivers. Rumor is that the next gen gateway will include the capability to support the Wireless receivers right on box. Anyway, I have not tested much for distance on the wireless video. My receivers are only about 30 to 50 feet max from the AP on the same floor but they are behind at least one to 2 walls. One of the receivers floats around with a spare TV amongst my kids rooms. It has worked flawlessly around 50 feet through at least 3 walls.

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007 to jimfuquay

Premium Member

to jimfuquay
Its all about how big your house is and how many floors. Typically a 2-story house with a basement will need the wireless AP on the main floor and will give good coverage to the basement and 2nd flr. If the AP is in the basement then you wont have very good coverage on the 2nd flr.

The best are apts where we dont have access to the coax due to being locked by the cable company and can only use the existing telephone wiring, so instead of having to run a new cable and staple it up and down walls just to get signal to another room slap a wireless box in and your good

I've only had a few times when I had to move the AP for a customer due to wireless issues and they were both in very LARGE house >3000 sq ft

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by Tech007:

Its all about how big your house is and how many floors. Typically a 2-story house with a basement will need the wireless AP on the main floor and will give good coverage to the basement and 2nd flr. If the AP is in the basement then you wont have very good coverage on the 2nd flr.

The best are apts where we dont have access to the coax due to being locked by the cable company and can only use the existing telephone wiring, so instead of having to run a new cable and staple it up and down walls just to get signal to another room slap a wireless box in and your good

I've only had a few times when I had to move the AP for a customer due to wireless issues and they were both in very LARGE house >3000 sq ft

The WiFi boxes can have issues in apts too - if there are too many close by WiFi N networks, there will be interference, as the WiFi STBes & the Cisco Access Point use WiFi N.

I have done just a few apartment repairs where I had to pull out the WiFi box and wire a box instead, because the WiFi performance was so spotty. No troubles at all after wiring in a wired box

I have and do use them in apartments, but I have a strong preferance for wired in apartments/condos/duplexes/townhouses/MDUs
Drewg5
join:2012-09-29
Florissant, MO

Drewg5 to jimfuquay

to jimfuquay
My experience with the wireless receiver has been a good one over all, knowing where dead spots are in your home/apt make a huge difference along with the amount of other 5Ghz networks in range.

It helps that in my case even with many 2Wire gateways in range the only 5Ghz is the Cisco AP. At some point I may reconfigure my router as an AP for the N900 and, gigabit switch.
jimfuquay
Arlington, TX

jimfuquay

I appreciate all the input. I plan to change my order to wireless and give it a go.

anon3
@att.net

anon3

Anon

I also use my wireless receiver's WAP as my WiFi for my iPads

Tech007
Premium Member
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL

Tech007

Premium Member

that is one of those unsupported things, but yes their is a wpa2 passcode on the bottom of the wireless stb access point that you can use for wireless
jimfuquay
Arlington, TX

jimfuquay

FYI, here's the verdict. Picture quality - OK, maybe 90 percent as good as DirecTV. DVR interface - 50 percent as good as DTV; wireless performance - fine, some pixelation occasionally, not an issue. cleaner install - true, much less cables running around. wi-fi - disappointing, not even as good as my 2-year-old Netgear WPN824N, which is an entry-level home wireless router. i may repurpose the Netgear as an extenderf. customer service - terrible. one call to installer, unreturned; three calls for wi-fi help - 2 dropped before i could give a call-back number, the third tech suggested rebooting and wouldn't go farther because I wasn't sitting in front of the AT*T router. lame. I'll probably stick with it, but they really need to step up their game.

old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech to jimfuquay

Premium Member

to jimfuquay
There is no problem with using the wireless STB's with a ethernet connection. That is how I hooked up the two that we just got last week, and sent the WAP back, since I did not want it getting lost, just laying around by the networking equipment downstairs (ie get tossed for trash, or taken to Habitat by mistake.).

anon3
@att.net

anon3 to jimfuquay

Anon

to jimfuquay
Jim,
I'm surprised at your observations. I came from Dish and I think the ATT DVR is similar in features as Dish (which is where I came from). I'm curious as to why you would rate it 1/2 as good as Direct.
Many folks say picture quality isn't as good but frankly on a 42" LCD my side by side comparisons with dish, I couldn't tell the difference.
My wireless receivers work great and I also have my Roku box ethernet wired to the wireless box and they work good.
I'm on the 12Mbps and speed net shows me at 10-11 with WiFi.