Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bernster

join:2004-07-31
Fort Lauderdale, FL

[Connectivity] These speeds are crazy after upgrade

»www.speedtest.net/result/2594711114.png

107 up and 21 down. Yippee. Did not know upgrade was coming until I got an email. Am on 50 mgps tier. Now I guess its 100 mgps. Wow.

Only question I have is what do I do with all of this speed. Torrents are not faster. Maybe better for Netflix?

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

Congratulations! What a surprising number of people don't seem to realize is that there are two sides to every file transfer. It's great that you can receive files faster, but if the sender is throttling or unable to send faster, it doesn't do any good.

Speeds above 25Mbps help when you have multiple people or apps downloading at the same time, but aren't going to help any single app. Also, if you are saturating your uplink with torrents or other transfers, that can interfere with acks and other data that manages the download side, which can slow things down there.

The other bottleneck that starts to become a factor is the quality of your router. Some of the cheaper ones don't perform well at higher speeds. You can test this by plugging your computer straight into the cable modem and run a few tests.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

said by travelguy:

Also, if you are saturating your uplink with torrents or other transfers, that can interfere with acks and other data that manages the download side, which can slow things down there.

Solvable by prioritizing TCP ACKs.