Search similar:

uniqs
zAmb0ni
I Give Good Ice
join:2001-07-21
Sun City, AZ

zAmb0ni

[Price] Please help me save money!

This may be long and convoluted, but our triple play promotion has ended and the wife and I are trying to develop a strategy for the long haul, and hopefully reduce our bill.

Current situation:
We have the Comcast HD Preferred XF triple play package. Two HD boxes and one SD box.
We also are currently with Sprint with two cell phones. The cell phones are plain jane phones and we have a pretty cheap sharing plan. The wife wants a smart phone and we are in our upgrade window so we will be changing things on the phone side.

Here is my optimal plan:
1) Upgrade phones, but keep one of the old phones. Port the Comcast phone # to the old phone. Use that phone as our "land line", connected to a link-2-cell wireless handset system (probably using google voice. (all the cell phones would be using a shared plan from Sprint)

2) Downgrade to some sort of HD Double play package. Since we would no longer need an EMTA, we could buy a Docsis 3.0 cable modem (currently have a non D3.0 modem from Comcast) and avoid the $7 monthly fee.

Our current bill (out of promotion) is $165 for the package + $20 for extra outlets + $7 for modem lease = $192

Its hard to find information on the non promotional prices for the Preferred XF Double Play, but I did find this:
Preferred XF Double Play ranges from $117.15 to $130.90
So lets take $130 as a worst case scenario, wouldn't the price be in my optimal plan be like: $130 + $10 HD Tech Fee + $20 for extra outlets = $160?

If I can get a receptive customer rep on the phone I may get a promotional price on that to knock it down quite a bit more.

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I go through all of this. I'm going to have to coordinate any type of changes with both Comcast and Sprint. What the wife and I DO NOT want to do is be trapped into the whole cycle thing of reupping with Comcast with respect to the triple play over and over again, and are getting tired of paying the rental fees for the modem etc. If I can convince the wife to just do without the "land line" we may just port the Comcast number to google voice and do without the third phone.

Do my numbers look right above with respect to the theoretical non promotion price of the Double Play?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

On that SD box, if you don't really need access to OnDemand or Preferred channels, you could downgrade to a DTA and save about $8 ($1.99 vs $9.95).

I have Preferred video, HD + DVR (just one box), DTA, Preferred HSI (my modem), and it's about $158 before taxes.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to zAmb0ni

to zAmb0ni
Comcast is expensive. My family just went out of promotion and their prices went to $273 per month. So I called and got them down to $180 per month. They lost sports package, showtime, and cinemax and still $180.
Wanted $230 for old package. Lady said she couldn't give me a better deal for my family.
Package is anyroom dvr with 2 digital boxes, 3 dtas, hbo, starz, blast! internet, digital preferred, and home phone.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

best way to cut your cable bill is to cancel cable and go with antenna.

SoJoSteve
@comcast.net

SoJoSteve

Anon

Or you could get a job at Comcast and get the whole thing for free.
mahermusic
TRUMP LOST LOL
join:2001-07-06

mahermusic to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Comcast is expensive.

...It WILL be if you choose to add on:
said by mikedz4:

anyroom dvr with 2 digital boxes, 3 dtas, hbo, starz, blast! internet, digital preferred, and home phone.