how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

seoj

join:2013-03-23
Lake Oswego, OR

1 edit

[FiOS] Comcast or FiOS near Tigard, OR: Suggestions?

I have been reading through several threads on this forum about Frontier around the Portland metro area and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or input.

I am trying to choose between Comcast and Frontier FiOS. I currently have Comcast 30Mbps and have been a Comcast customer for 4-5 years. Never been very happy with their customer service or pricing but didn't have much choice up until now. Frontier recently came into my area for service and their new offer seems pretty tempting. Is the FiOS really more consistent than Comcast's copper cable? Is it worth the switch?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Re: [FiOS] [Comcast or FiOS near Tigard, OR: Suggestions?

said by seoj:

Is it worth the switch?

What are you hoping to get out of the switch?

Never been very happy with their customer service or pricing

Not sure that Frontier customer is any better. Re: pricing, guess it depends on the what you have now

I've had Verizon then Frontier FiOS (currently), Comcast cable (ages ago), Verizon DSL (even longer ago), and GTE ISDN (longest ago). Customer service was best with GTE, TV and Internet performance has been best with FiOS.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

seoj

Lake Oswego, OR
Thanks for the reply. Comcast has been really expensive for me and, even though they have offered a lower price, I just hate bargaining for lower prices like every six months. Frontier FiOS is having a promotion right now so I am thinking about switching...

I've been reading quite a few complaints about QoS and latency problems with FiOS. Is that persistent or fixed? Does FiOS generally deliver speeds that are more similar to what they advertise/claim? I know cable is really lousy with that.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
For my uses (remote video and audio streaming, telecommuting, etc), latency and QoS haven't been an issue for me. I'm on an old 25mbs/25mbs plan and easily saturate my download speed nightly and generally get 20+mbs uploads at test sites that can handle that speed for upload testing.

When it comes to Internet, I would say that generally, FiOS > Comcast.
--

seoj

Lake Oswego, OR
Hhhhmmmm... Would it be accurate to say that 30Mbps service on Comcast would be equivalent to 25Mbps or lower service on FiOS in terms of real-life speed?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
I don't know, I've never had 30mb/s from Comcast. With FiOS, I've never had issues with saturating my download from sites that can push out the data fast enough to keep up.
--

seoj

Lake Oswego, OR
FiOS has more future than cable internet, right? Cable is pretty much old technology (but Comcast has the money to sustain its old infrastructure). In the long run, fiber optic is more "future-proof".

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to seoj

Re: [FiOS] Comcast or FiOS near Tigard, OR: Suggestions?

I have frontiers 3mbps down/768k dsl service,i got installed 2 weeks ago,3 mbps is the highest i can get and,and i get a constient 2.3-2.5 mbps down and .6 up,latency is around 50-60 ms (Because im am on the end of the loop) I would go for frontiers fios,you can always cancel before 30 days if your not happy with there service.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to seoj

Re: [FiOS] [Comcast or FiOS near Tigard, OR: Suggestions?

said by seoj:

FiOS has more future than cable internet, right? Cable is pretty much old technology (but Comcast has the money to sustain its old infrastructure). In the long run, fiber optic is more "future-proof".

Who cares what the future holds. The future doesn't affect service now. For at least the near future, both cable and fiber are capable of competing with similar offerings. If you had to hedge your bets long term, like signing a extremely long term lease, then yes fiber would be more "future proof". But 6-month to 2-year commitments likely being the limit, if after that commitment one technology looks better than the other, then switch.

I've had both Comcast and Frontier separately in the last several years . I didn't have a Docsis 3 cable modem, but I generally didn't have much problem with speeds anytime during the day. There was occasional slow downs, but you have that no matter what type of ISP connection you have...and sometimes it's not even due to your ISP's network.

I'm currently with Frontier now as their speeds were faster than what Comcast offered at a similar price point. I got a 35mbit symmetrical connection for what Comcast would give me a 20mbit connection. It looks like that's increased form 20, but the upload speeds are still not even close.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to seoj

Re: [FiOS] Comcast or FiOS near Tigard, OR: Suggestions?

Some news re: Comcast speeds

Here's what's changing now on each of Comcast's three main Internet plans:

* "Performance": Downloads up to 20 Mbps, up from 15 Mbps, with uploads up to 4 Mbps. The service costs $52 a month as part of a service bundle (with phone or cable TV), or $65 by itself.
* "Blast": Downloads up to 50 Mbps, up from 25 Mbps, with uploads up to 10 Mbps. $62 a month in a bundle, $75 standalone.
* "Extreme": Downloads up to 105 Mbps, up from 50 Mbps, with uploads up to 20 Mbps. $100 a month in a bundle, $115 standalone.

»www.oregonlive.com/silicon-fores···eds.html
--