uniqs

uhh
@videotron.ca

uhh to TypeS

Anon

to TypeS

Re: VMedia fights mandatory channel carriage

said by TypeS:

No number of bones thrown at them will satisfy them all, there's always going to be one person who wants more.

Um. He isn't asking for more. He's actually asking for less. You may want to re-read what he said, and maybe this time try to understand it.

The guy isn't wrong. I find myself in agreement with what he stated.

It's not for me, but I guess maybe it's a choice for others who want to have to pay for nothing. As long as they pay for nothing and it's less than Rogers or Bell. That is all that matters to some (or most) people.

Anyhow, it's a choice. Better than no choice.
GeorgeBurger
join:2011-12-30

GeorgeBurger

Lol, thanks Uhhhh! I'll take what I can get. Good morale boost after being in the office all day today, and more tomorrow, and of course there will be lots left undone. You definitely can't satisfy everyone, but whether it is good business or just that we are a bunch of nice guys who want to make things better, we will keep trying. Just have patience with us as we move forward.

Have a great weekend everyone!

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to uhh

to uhh
said by uhh :

said by TypeS:

No number of bones thrown at them will satisfy them all, there's always going to be one person who wants more.

Um. He isn't asking for more. He's actually asking for less. You may want to re-read what he said, and maybe this time try to understand it.

It's not for me, but I guess maybe it's a choice for others who want to have to pay for nothing. As long as they pay for nothing and it's less than Rogers or Bell. That is all that matters to some (or most) people.

Anyhow, it's a choice. Better than no choice.

No I believe you need to learn the English language a bit better before you go criticizing what someone said.

Since you can't understand what I said, I'll have to spell it out. When I said "more", I mean they expect more from the company despite the company continually trying to improve their product or service. It does not mean he wanted "more" channels. And BTW, that was directed at not just him a but a lot of people that gripe at all the alternative media providers and IISPs about every little detail and disregard everything else these companies have tried to do for Canadian consumers.

Not sure where you going with this "pay for nothing" thing, but if you could, find me a TV service provider a true a la carte offering where you pick channel by channel what you want and you don't pay for any channel you'd never watch.

uhh
@videotron.ca

uhh to GeorgeBurger

Anon

to GeorgeBurger
said by GeorgeBurger:

Lol, thanks Uhhhh!

lol, I don't mean anything bad by it. I imagine it's going to be a good deal. Just... like maybe one day when the fights to even get access have cooled down (Loved the words you brought to the CRTC) and others stop playing stupid with you by not even quoting you, or trying to force your (and our) costs to increase, then maybe once all that has settled there could be room to look at what the guy above stated. In the end, it's just another option (or choice) to give people. Choices are good. Just saying... I think offering something like this would be an advantage over others. I see positive in it and maybe something to work towards offering.

Keep in mind, a heck of a lot of DSL users jump ship for a lousy 1$ savings (as sad as that is). I like to see you succeed. As far as I know the only other alternative ISP + IPTV provider would be Acanac. And I'm not sure they are even fully deployed yet. Still in Beta I think.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing the new website and prices when it launches.
uhh

uhh to TypeS

Anon

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

Not sure where you going with this "pay for nothing" thing, but if you could, find me a TV service provider a true a la carte offering where you pick channel by channel what you want and you don't pay for any channel you'd never watch.

En Enfer already answered this question.
said by En Enfer:

As I previously gave as an example, Vidéotron's basic service is the strict basic, and they do offer à la carte since the beginning of their digital tv service in 1998, as well as "popular english" and "popular french" and thematic packages. They are not forced to distribute MuchMusic or any Cat A specialties on basic and still manage to respect the braodcaster's penetration minimum in a bilingual market. Consequently, I don't see the point of forcing Cat A specialties on basic.

Maybe you don't have this in Ontario? Dunno.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

We don't, Rogers basic goes up to channel 42 or something like that. I forget now. Don't about Cogeco. Though even skinny basic still isnt full blown a la carte, there some channels in any carrier's basic line up that I don't care for, but they're going to be there regardless.

I care more for the price I am paying, if its reasonable (ie, Rogers price for basic is outrageous before you get into digital packages to get just 1 or 2 channels you do like), I don't mind bundling. Traditional TV service's (be it cable, iptv or satellite) days are numbered though IMHO. The Nort American day is much more than 9-5 now, pretty much 18-24/7, so many store chains dont close at all anymore, people's schedules are fitting less and less into what they used to be. We've become a pretty busy society in North America. I think on-demand services like NetFlix are going to gain popularity. Watch what you want to when you want. Of course there will always be the news, sporting events and other live events. Put stuff like prime time viewing will probably shift to on demand.

uhh
@videotron.ca

uhh

Anon

said by TypeS:

I care more for the price I am paying,

You basically just qualified everything I said, yet previously you ragged on it. You even ragged on En Enfer, yet you also qualify his statements.
said by uhh :

Basically you are ok with paying for nothing as long as it's less than Bell or Rogers. heh

Why pay for channels you don't even want and will never look at? Why is Vmedia even making the basic offer like this?

Makes zero sense to me. But, hey, if that is what the Ontario market asks for (just be less than Rogers and we're happy, which is basically what you said) then so be it.

Will await their launch.