join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

[IPv6] Changes to the IPv6 Test site

Click for full size
Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know of some changes that have been made to the following site

»www.test-ipv6.com/

See the new screen picture above. Items that I don't remember seeing before are circled in GREEN. It appears that the test site is now able to tell you who your ISP is, or maybe who owns your IP. For me, it comes up with "Comcast Cable Communications, Inc." which would be correct, as I have Comcast as my ISP!

Also, is the item circled in RED something I need to worry about? It is also new, and I'm wondering what it means.

As far as changes on my end, I upgraded the version of pfsense that I'm running.

Old Version that I was running
• pfSense-2.1_FreeBSD_Firewall_Beta built on 02-13-2013

New Version that I am now running
• pfSense-2.1_FreeBSD_Firewall_Beta built on 03-22-2013.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

Re: Changes to the IPv6 Test site

I don't get that error. I'm dual stacking with a Cisco 881 at the moment.

What does the "more info" link say?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Ok this is odd....

Sometimes when I run that test, I don't get that message. Other times that I run the test, I do. For some reason, it does not come up every time, which seems odd to me.

I've posted a picture of what comes up if you click the "More Info" link, when it actually does show up.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL
reply to Clever_Proxy
It just happened to me too. If i keep refreshing the site, it randomly show up. Here's what that more info page says:

What is a tunnel?

A tunnel is a technique often used to transport one protocol over another one. For example, it is used by ADSL to transport PPP over ATM (a common technique for several Internet residential subscribers).

In the realm of IPv6, tunnels are used to transport:

IPv6 packets over IPv4 network: then IPv4-only Internet users can reach the IPv6 Internet;
IPv4 packets over IPv6 network: then IPv6-only Internet users can reach the IPv4 Internet.
What is a managed tunnel?

A managed tunnel is a tunnel whose two endpoints (i.e. the node transforming IPv6 packets into IPv4 ones and the other side transforming IPv4 packets into IPv6 packets) are managed by a single organization, which is often your own ISP.

A unmanaged tunnel is a tunnel whose two endpoints (i.e. the node transforming IPv6 packets into IPv4 ones and the other side transforming IPv4 packets into IPv6 packets) are managed by two distincts organizations:

your own ISP;
a tunnel broker.
How did the test detect a non-managed tunnel?

For the technical-oriented readers, here is the explanation how we detect that you are probably using a tunnel. As the test collects your IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, it also collects (thanks to »www.team-cymru.org/Services/ip-to-asn.html) your Autonomous System Numbers (ASN) for IPv4 and IPv6. If your ISP is dual stack, then your IPv4 ASN and your IPv6 ASN should be identical as your IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity are provided by the same ISP. But, if you use non-managed tunnels, then your IPv4 ASN will be different than your IPv6 ASN.

I've also noticed that the error shows up when the ASN is resolved. I guess the tool isn't liking the fact that the two different IPs are on different ASNs.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL
I guess my next question is why Comcast's v4 vs v6 are on two different Autonomous Systems?

madbavarian

join:2013-03-05
Fremont, CA

1 recommendation

The IPv4 and IPv6 clouds are different autonomous systems. Giving them different ASN's helps drive that point home and prevents mixups. The IPv6 test site should probably retire the managed/unmanaged bit. It confuses people and makes them think there is an error of sorts.

The other bit that isn't clear is how they are arriving at the conclusion that one is on a tunnel at all. Does the path through Comcast sometimes have the path MTU lowered indicating that there was a tunnel someplace in the path?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

3 edits
reply to plencnerb

Re: [IPv6] Changes to the IPv6 Test site

Actually the IPv6 tunnel warning has always been a part of that site's test reporting (unlike the similar test on the Comcast IPv6 site). If you are now seeing that warning, that means that something has changed with your IPv6 connection.

This is what I used to see at that site when I was using the SMCD3G-CCR and had to use a tunnel:

This is what I see today from a dual NIC server using a Motorola SB6121, a D-Link EBR2310 for IPv4, a D-Link DIR655 for IPv6, and Comcast's native dual stack:

This is what I see today from a Windows XP PC using a Motorola SB6121 and a D-Link DIR655 (no dual NIC here), and Comcast's native dual stack:

said by plencnerb:

Ok this is odd....

Sometimes when I run that test, I don't get that message. Other times that I run the test, I do. For some reason, it does not come up every time, which seems odd to me.

Perhaps the oddity is because you are using a beta test pfsense router?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
said by NetFixer:

Perhaps the oddity is because you are using a beta test pfsense router?

That is probably the reason it is doing it. If I open 6 tabs in my browser, and have all 6 be the IPv6 test page, the odd number tabs (1,3,5) will show that tunnel message, while the even number tabs (2,4,6) will not.

I'm not going to worry about it, until the beta version of PFSense (2.1) comes out of beta and becomes production. If it still does it at that point, then I'll worry about it. Ahh the joys of running beta software!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA

1 edit
Hum, this is interesting. I'm running pfSense ...

2.1-BETA1 (amd64)
built on Thu Mar 21 17:04:35 EDT 2013
FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p6

... and see the "non managed tunnel" result every couple of test runs. In the last week, there have been many changes to pfsense's IPv6 driven by the problems I reported on my thread here: »forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topi···6.0.html

I still lean more towards issues with detection on the test site. But, need more folks to run multiple tests and see the results.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to plencnerb
I just ran the test twice. First time I got same results as you, second time, I didn't get the "tunnel" message.

I think it may have to do with the route taken. Perhaps one of the steps along the way isn't supporting IPv6 natively. Just a guess.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to voiptalk
said by voiptalk:

Hum, this is interesting. I'm running pfSense ...

2.1-BETA1 (amd64)
built on Thu Mar 21 17:04:35 EDT 2013
FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p6

... and see the "non managed tunnel" result every couple of test runs. In the last week, there have been many changes to pfsense's IPv6 driven by the problems I reported on my thread here: »forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topi···6.0.html

I still lean more towards issues with detection on the test site. But, need more folks to run multiple tests and see the results.

I just ran the test about a dozen times each from three different PCs using two different routers (D-Link DIR655 and Netgear WNR1000v2-VC), and I don't see any kind of tunnel warning message. I don't know what is causing some to see the tunnel warning, but I haven't seen it from my location.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
In my case, I could remove my pfsense router from the mix, testing directly to my cable modem with my same desktop, and see what happens.

If I can run about a dozen or so tests, and never see the message, then I would assume it has something to do with my pfsense router. However, if I get the same behavior, then maybe something else is going on.

If I can get the time today to bring down the network and plug my desktop directly into the modem, I'll do it, and post the results in this thread.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I wanted to add one more set of screen shots that may help explain what is going on.

Pictures #1 and #2 are from the same test. Pic #1 is the "Summary" Tab, while Pic #2 is "Tests Run" Tab. For that test, I did not get the tunnel warning message.
Of note with this test is that on the "Test Run" tab, the two results that come back for the test "Find IPv4 Service Provider" and "Find IPv6 Service Provider" are the same, which is ASN 33491 .

On the test where I do get the tunnel warning message (Pic #3 and Pic #4), the result that comes back for the test "Find IPv4 Service Provider" is different: ASN 7922 . However, the result of the test "Find IPv6 Service Provider" comes back with ASN 33491 , which matches the ASN number from the test where I did not get the tunnel warning message.

I have no idea what that means, but it is a difference that I did notice. Maybe somebody with a little more knowledge on this could help explain the difference.

Have not tested yet without my pfsense box. If I do that, I'll post another update.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by plencnerb:

I wanted to add one more set of screen shots that may help explain what is going on.

Pictures #1 and #2 are from the same test. Pic #1 is the "Summary" Tab, while Pic #2 is "Tests Run" Tab. For that test, I did not get the tunnel warning message.
Of note with this test is that on the "Test Run" tab, the two results that come back for the test "Find IPv4 Service Provider" and "Find IPv6 Service Provider" are the same, which is ASN 33491 .

On the test where I do get the tunnel warning message (Pic #3 and Pic #4), the result that comes back for the test "Find IPv4 Service Provider" is different: ASN 7922 . However, the result of the test "Find IPv6 Service Provider" comes back with ASN 33491 , which matches the ASN number from the test where I did not get the tunnel warning message.

I have no idea what that means, but it is a difference that I did notice. Maybe somebody with a little more knowledge on this could help explain the difference.

Have not tested yet without my pfsense box. If I do that, I'll post another update.

--Brian

Since neither your IPv4 or IPv6 address changed between the tests, it would seem that the test site may have a problem with their whois lookups (or their interpretation).

FWIW, here are a couple of links that will provide more information on those two AS numbers than you probably care to know:

»as.robtex.com/as7922.html
»as.robtex.com/as33491.html

From those pages you can see that AS7922 feeds AS33491, and that is probably the source of the confusion in the test results. A possibly helpful flow diagram from the above links is shown below for convenience:

--

luckmann

join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM
reply to plencnerb
I did notice that as of 8:35pm Mountain time the site seems to be down, all I get is a 404 error.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to plencnerb
Just tried it now 10:51 PM CDT, and the site appears to be up and running.

--Brian

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79
reply to NetFixer
Where is the "like" on this thing... BGP flow diagram I like it..

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by NetDog:

"Actions* >>> *Approval For The Post*

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:79

1 recommendation

said by EG:

said by NetDog:

"Actions* >>> *Approval For The Post*

Sweet.. done deal

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to NetDog
said by NetDog:

I can't claim any credit for that diagram; as I said in my previous post, it came from the robtex.com site. I find that site to be quite useful whenever a routing question arises. It also comes in handy with some DNS related questions too. For example, getting a list of all known hostnames used by the same hosting server as the hostname or IP address in question can often provide a clue to the ever popular "Why is [insert ISP here] blocking my [friend's] web site (and/or email)" question.
--