I posted this in the So Cal forum if any Nor Cal drivers are interested:
»Traffic Cameras--Stop Assembly Bill AB-666
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Fremont loves their red light cameras and the resulting revenue but neighboring Union City has removed all these devices after Union City was caught illegally shortening their yellow light timing to increase that revenue, then Union City subsequently had to refund all the ticketed drivers all the fines.
Trust me, anyone who is ticketed by these systems should check the timing of the lights after that incident.
This is not really about safety, it is about generating revenue and about automation done by contractors vs employing traffic cops that use their judgement to enforce the laws.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

The bill changes the law to favor the government from how it is currently set up.
said by shortckt:

What does AB-666 Do?

• Eliminates Your Right to a Trial if You Get a Red Light Camera Ticket
• Makes You Responsible for the Ticket Even When Someone Else Is Driving
• Sets up Kangaroo “Administrative Hearing” Courts Run By Those Who Gave You the Ticket
• No Evidence Other than the Ticket Itself is Needed to Convict You
• No Right to Face Your Accuser
• You Are Assumed Guilty and Have to Prove Your Innocence
• You Will Have to Pay a Fee If You Want Your Case Heard in Court
• Expands the Use of Photo Enforcement to Other Traffic Violations

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

shortckt to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
I've been following the issue of automated traffic enforcement and the problems it creates around the country. Shortened yellow signal time, to the point that it is less than federal guidelines, is just one of the things municipal governments have done or allowed just to increase revenues from automated enforcement.

There is a volunteer project started by National Motorists Association taking place to monitor traffic signals for short yellow timing.
shortckt

shortckt

Premium Member

At least someone is trying to fix it

California Assembly Committee Votes for Longer Yellow Times

Assembly Bill 2128 authored by Assemblyman Paul Cook (R-Yucca Valley) would have provided significant financial relief to California motorists who make minor traffic violations by fixing an error that has cost Californians millions of dollars while also improving public safety by reducing accidents at camera-equipped intersections.

First and most important by lengthening the duration of yellow signal timing to reasonable minimum standards, and second reducing the cost of a rolling-right turn automated fine from $500 to $250.

These changes would address the most significant complaints from California motorists regarding red light cameras.

AB-2128 introduced 2/23/2012 passed 13/0 in the California Assembly's Transportation Committee. The bill next needed to pass in Appropriations Committee before a full vote but died in committe on 11/30/2012 without further action.

Source:
»www.thenewspaper.com/new ··· 3762.asp

Legislative info:
»leginfo.legislature.ca.g ··· eywords=

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to shortckt

Premium Member

to shortckt

Re: [Info] Traffic Cameras--Stop Assembly Bill AB-666

I always knew it was all about the money, especially when the cameras were being programmed to get you when making a right turn on red.

shortckt
Premium Member
Tenant Hell

shortckt

Premium Member

Not just a right turn on red, but issuing tickets for allegedly not stopping behind the limit line before turning. Even in intersections where a right turn on red is permitted, the problem is a driver needs to inch forward to see cross traffic before making the turn, and that's when the cameras would snag them, for crossing the limit line while the signal is red.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne to shortckt

Premium Member

to shortckt
I'm not totally against the cameras, but I'm against how poorly it's implemented.

I would suggest instead of a picture, they produce a video. That will tell the whole story.

shortckt
Premium Member
Tenant Hell

shortckt

Premium Member

If I understand correctly, many of the red light camera installations produce still photos AND a video. Some cities make the video and photos available online to the recipient of the ticket, in others one must visit the law enforcement agency that handles the tickets to be shown the video, and yet others don't make it available for other than internal use, which makes it more difficult to fight a ticket.