how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN

R6300 Emailing of Logs No Longer Works.

Recently Comcast has started blocking port 25. I guess this is why emailing of router logs has stopped working.

There is no setting to change that I can find. No way to choose a port. Anyway to fix this?

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Do you have the option of changing the port in the R6300. My email service had alternate ports available that I use. The POP3 is port 110 and the SMTP is port 587. So check to see if your email service has alternate ports available.

»forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and···/1113851

OverBurn

Greenwood, IN

1 edit
reply to OverBurn
Thanks, but I said in the first post that there was no place to change the port in the router setup that I've seen.

I changed to port 465 in Thunderbird and it works fine. Not related to the router log problem.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
OK, sorry I missed that. I did review the manual for the router and did not see anything in there that mention about how to change the mail ports. I would send a note to Netgear support and ask them if it is possible. There may be a way but just not through the GUI and if there is they may be willing to share that with you. Hope you get it resolved.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to OverBurn
Have you tried to point the router's SMTP server to a local PC running an SMTP server acting as a proxy for Comcast's email server? I don't have access to a Windows 8 PC, so I can't be sure about that version, but since Windows 2000, Microsoft has included the MS SMTP service with the OS. And I haven't seen a *nix distribution that did not include sendmail and/or postfix.

I don't know if the R6300 supports using a LAN IP address (or hostname) as an SMTP server. I have found that some routers do and some don't (and the firmware rev also comes into play). FWIW, I just tried it on my Netgear WNR1000v2-VC by pointing it to an SMTP server on my LAN and it worked.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Very interesting, how did you point it to the SMTP server on your LAN?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Hank:

Very interesting, how did you point it to the SMTP server on your LAN?

By using the appropriate LAN IP address, in this particular case it was 192.168.10.2. That IP address was associated with a PC on my LAN that was setup to run the MS SMTP server on port 25, and then forward any requests to use the authenticated Comcast smtp server on port 587.

For the "pics or it didn't happen" crowd, here are the pics (which should also serve as a mini visual howto):

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Thanks for posting the information. I am sure it will be of benefit to others.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
reply to OverBurn
Couldn't you just use comcast smtp server as a relay?

When I ran a mail server with TW they also blocked port 25. I just used them as relay.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by dcurrey:

Couldn't you just use comcast smtp server as a relay?

When I ran a mail server with TW they also blocked port 25. I just used them as relay.

The problem with that suggestion is that the Netgear router only uses port 25, and smtp.comcast.net does not allow the use of port 25 even if you have a Comcast Business Class account that does not block port 25, A Comcast residential customer with port 25 blocked won't even get far enough to get the reject message. A Comcast residential customer with port 25 blocked would need to use port 587 (with or without TLS) or port 465 with SSL (and the entire reason for this thread is because the Netgear router in question only allows using port 25).

webhost:/ # telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
Trying 2001:558:fe14:70::30...
Connected to smtp.comcast.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
554 omta01.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Port 25 not allowed - 
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/
Connection closed by foreign host.

webhost:/ # telnet smtp.comcast.net 587
Trying 2001:558:fe14:70::30...
Connected to smtp.comcast.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 omta01.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
quit
221 2.0.0 omta01.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

--

OverBurn

Greenwood, IN
reply to OverBurn
Thanks for the info NetFixer. I think I'm still at square one. I did a lot of searching on the netgear forum and it seems no one has a solution for any netgear router.

Seems like a major netgear flaw to not just simply be able to change the outgoing port.

I can always just click and read the logs manually, but the email was so convenient.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by OverBurn:

Thanks for the info NetFixer. I think I'm still at square one. I did a lot of searching on the netgear forum and it seems no one has a solution for any netgear router.

Seems like a major netgear flaw to not just simply be able to change the outgoing port.

I can always just click and read the logs manually, but the email was so convenient.

It is true that many (if not all) Netgear routers can't change the outgoing email port, but it is not true that all Netgear routers can't send the logs to a LAN hosted SMTP server using the standard port 25. That local SMTP server can be setup to forward email to an Internet mail server using an alternate port. The fact that my Netgear WNR1000v2 can do that (at least with the latest firmware...my recollection is fuzzy on its ability to do that on older firmware), is why I replied to this thread.

Just out of curiosity, did you try sending to a LAN hosted SMTP server from your Netgear router? Or are you just not interested in a solution that is not totally router based?
--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Perhaps a port forward might do the trick...? Might be a work-around here.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Juggernaut:

Perhaps a port forward might do the trick...? Might be a work-around here.

Did you read my posts in this thread? That is exactly what I have suggested by using a LAN based SMTP server to forward the email to an Internet email server. OTOH, if you are talking about some kind of port forwarding inside the router itself, I don't know of any way that would work.
--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Yes, I was suggesting a router port forward. I was just throwing it out there.

OverBurn

Greenwood, IN
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer See ProfileJust out of curiosity, did you try sending to a LAN hosted SMTP server from your Netgear router? Or are you just not interested in a solution that is not totally router based?

I'll try your suggestion when I have time to figure it out, never setup something like that before.
Yes, a totally router solution would be much better.

It seems like a simple feature that should already be there.