how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Finklebonker

join:2013-03-24
Lynden, WA

[Connectivity] 6120 modem problems

I am having connectivity problems with my Motorola 6120 modem. I lose Internet, then check the error log and see this:

MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=00:22:10:39:01:37;CMTS-MAC=00:1d:70:b0:00:3c;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Any clues?

MisterP

join:2012-10-11
US

As Holmes says "Data, data, data; I cannot make bricks without clay"

signal levels, setup etc.

Finklebonker

Lynden, WA

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Anything else needed?

MisterP

join:2012-10-11
US

How often are you losing connection? Does the modem reboot on its own and then after that it is fine until the next event or do you have to manually cycle power? Have you taken everything else out of the setup if applicable (i.e. router, switches etc)?

Have you tried a total factory reset (From the diagnostic page in the modem setup)?

Signal levels look ok although your uncorrectibles are higher than correctibles but still a very lower percentage of total traffic. You can also call CC support and ask for the upstream levels (dB and SNR) to the CMTS and post what they say (You may have to call a few times; I've had some totally braindead people answer that didn't even know what I was talking about)

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Finklebonker

I see those MIMO Event messages following any reboot of my SB6121; they would have nothing to do with why you lost your connection. Here are my current signal levels and my entire log:

Perhaps if you displayed your entire log, there might be something it in that would help with the diagnosis.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Finklebonker

The MIMO event is a normal nuisance message on the 6120/21/41 after a reboot. It's also normal for uncorrectable errors to start at 1000-2000 after a reboot, as it begins counting even before it's finalized the connection. You need to keep an eye on it over a few hours or days to see how much it increases, if any.

As mentioned, we need to see the FULL log to see what is going on and why it's rebooting or losing connection.

Finklebonker

Lynden, WA
reply to Finklebonker

Click for full size
My modem just reboot itself for seemingly no reason.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

Presumably, the "Cable Modem Reboot from GUI/Configuration page" was intentional, so that leaves the "Reboot due to power reset".

Check and double check the outlet where the power wall wart is connected, and try using an alternative power outlet. The power wall wart itself is a fairly high failure rate item in most equipment that uses them. They are also relatively inexpensive if you don't already have a similar one in your possession that you can use as a replacement. My SB6121 uses a 12vdc 750ma power supply with a positive polarity center connector pin, and most likely your SB6120 uses the same specs for its power supply. If you don't already have a similar supply lying around from a retired device, any supply with the same style connector, the same voltage output and at least the same minimum amperage capability (I would recommend a 1 to 1.5 amp capacity for the replacement *) should work with no problems.

* The reason I recommend a higher capacity power supply is because Motorola says that the SB612x uses a nominal 9W of power. A 12v x 750ma power supply can only supply 9W of power, and that does not leave any slack for surge conditions.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.