signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to hussle87

Re: First pc. build need suggestions?

hussle, you probably want to spend plenty more time learning about parts and compatibilities before taking this on, because if you didn't realize that we need to know what tasks and what budget already, I am concerned you might not be ready to build yet.

No, building a system is not a dark art or alchemy, but there is just enough of those elements that learning enough to ask the right questions first is important.

Here are some things to learn, first, have some fun, do a google on them:

What is ripple current, and why does it matter with SMPS units (power supplys)?

What are chipsets, and which of the latest chipsets support features such as more PCI-Express bandwidth?

What is an acceptable warranty period for a (insert device here).

What are MOVs, and how does stress affect their service life?

What is an EPS connector?

What is a PEG connector?

What is m-ATX standard?

Is future proofing a reality or a myth?

Now:

600 bucks is scraping the bottom of the build barrel if your talking about getting all this:

Case
Mainboard
CPU
RAM
Video
Coolers/fans
SMPS
HDs/SSDs
Cables
I/O parts
ODs
and don't forget the operating system license!!!

That's all a LOT for 6 buckaroos.

Oh, so you have an OD, and it is SATA. That is 20 bucks saved, but that isn't much.

Start with a processor you know enough about to see it as acceptable.

Then choose a chipset.

Then narrow down to a few boards.

Then choose how graphics is done.

Then choose RAM.

Then choose PSU/SMPS.

Then choose HD/SSD and the rest.

Use the search function of this forum to answer most of your questions first, don't hestiate to ask us, but don't forget that search is also your friend.

I suggest upping your build budget if you can, to 800-1000 if you want something built to last.

Then what board features you want (IMPORTANT!!!)
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.