share rss forum feed

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Ugly

Re: [Virtual Machine on MacBook] What is the best SW for this?

said by Ugly:

There are special drivers for/within an emulation software for the respective OS? Who knew?

So is the install process, emulator, drivers, then OS?

Sorry for being such a n00b.

just so that the os can perform better and recognize the "virtual" stuff that the software is presenting to it.
case in point -- you'll get standard video with the installation into parallels, fusion, or vbox. however -- to get better resolutions, run aero, etc. -- you'll need to install the drivers for that vm software.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow

said by tubbynet:

just so that the os can perform better and recognize the "virtual" stuff that the software is presenting to it.
case in point -- you'll get standard video with the installation into parallels, fusion, or vbox. however -- to get better resolutions, run aero, etc. -- you'll need to install the drivers for that vm software.

q.

I think I understand.

I will get the drivers from Parallels website?

• The install order is 1. Parallels, 2. Drivers for respective OS, and 3. finally the OS itself?
--
Oh, I love the smell of fish. Guts, rotten, it's all good.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ

1 recommendation

it will come with you software. you'll install it after the os.

q.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18

1 recommendation

reply to Ugly

When you install Windows on regular PC hardware you may need drivers for certain hardware, for example, some drivers for your motherboard and video card. Windows comes built in with lots of drivers, but anything it's missing you need to manually download and install yourself (or more recently, through Windows Update). It's the same when you install Windows in a virtual machine (Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox). The virtual machine software packages all the drivers and some special sauce into a guest software package. You first install the virtual machine software (Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox) on your Mac. Then you install Windows inside the virtual machine. Then you install the virtual machine guest software package.

For example, Parallels calls the guest software package the Parallels Tools and it adds some extra features. Here's the Parallels manual where they talk about it: »www.parallels.com/fileadmin/para···uide.pdf then scroll down to PAGE 153
--
less talk, more music

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to Ugly

No, it's Parallels, Windows and after Windows is installed, Parallels will automatically trigger a launch of the Windows drivers for Parallels (aka Parallels tools) installer within the newly installed OS.

With both Fusion and Parallels, it is all step by step, all included and pretty much does it all on its own.

There are tons of videos on Youtube detailing the install process in addition to instructions available on the vendor websites (as previous posed).

Ugly
Fishy Cool Bird

join:2001-12-12
The Meadow
reply to Ugly

Thank you Ctrl Alt Del, Skeechan, and Tubbynet!

kerriskandie

join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Ugly

Same for VirtualBox........

the installer is on their website............downloads as a .dmg ( Disk Image) double click that, an Installer opens, takes 2 minutes to install the Application (Program) .

The first time you run it, it will ask you/coach you to install your Windows OS....(XP,Vista etc etc).....once that's done, any time you want to run Windows 'side by side' with your Mac OSX, you just launch VirtualBox Application......it runs just like any other Mac Application.....you can download and install Windows Apps as often as you want.........

Case inpoint:
The Windows Motorcycle Tuning software I run,inside 'VirtualBox' needs a special 'Windows only' port driver, I go to the Tuning site, whilst running Windows XP, download the driver, and install it just like I would any piece of software/Application/program.......

( Insert Parallels/Fusion in place of VirtualBox, depending on which one you decide on).....