1 recommendation

mozerd to Kirby Smith

MVM

to Kirby Smith

Re: 2013 USG SHOULD ADD FUNCTIONALITY

Click for full size
UTM Performance
said by Kirby Smith:

I doubt that CISCO has produced in the ISA570 a router that will never need alteration. It may be fair to say that at its introduction it was more mature than the USG.

I'm sure that the ISA570 has flaws and I need some quality time plus a unit that I can experiment on to find those flaws My point was that all the services I mentioned including some that I did not mention work out of the box --- so yes a lot of stuff is mature and does not require a rocket science IOS background --- only time will expose stuff. BTW, the web based management interface is a real pleasure to work with -- a very dramatic change from the CISCO stuff I used to work with many moons ago --- and certainly MUCH easier that the Object Oriented GUI present in the USG appliances. But since I was using the ISA570 Wizards I did not spend a lot of time with the whole GUI. If you'd like an idea of what the ISA570 GUI feels like LOOK at the emulator

My key point was that the ISA570 has a very strong Value Proposition --- and when compared to the USG300 the ISA570 wins in every department. UTM performance is outstanding at 75Mbps and THAT is what counts. CISCO is normally very conservative with specs cause they have many gear-heads using their gear who are ready-willing-able to pronounce marketing BS.
Kirby Smith
join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

1 recommendation

Kirby Smith

I am not trying to defend ZyXEL against CISCO. I think the ISA570 has great specs. But I thought it possibly premature to use it as a cudgel against the USG.

Rave on, everyone. I look forward to technology improvements no matter where the source.

kirby