Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

php111

join:2008-11-06
Allentown, PA

Would this encryption be stong enough?

Hey everyone,

Would this type of encryption be strong enough? Or would someone suggest stronger or recommend stronger encryption? My router is D-link DIR-815.

Thank you,

[WPA-PSK-CCMP][WPA2-PSK-CCMP][WPS][ESS]

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

Strong enough. . . for what?

php111

Allentown, PA

I always just like to have a strong encryption. I don't have a reason. I just like to make it the strongest. Would mine be the strongest? Or would I be able to have stronger encryption?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

You need router steroid food.

Seriously, your best bet is to use WPA2-PSK and if not possible WPA-PSK. To ensure either of those are giving you full extent of their protection go to this site and generate yourself a 64character passkey.

»www.grc.com/passwords.htm
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

php111

Allentown, PA

1.) Does it look like I have WPA2-PSK encryption already?

2.) How do I generate a password from that site?

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

It looks like you are allowing both WPA and WPA2 in tandem, as well as enabling WPS.

If all your stations will do WPA2, you can disable WPA.

Also, WPS is a weakness, disable it.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
reply to php111

said by php111:

1) no. Edit: not entirely anyway.

2) The site generates the keys automatically. You can copy & paste the generated key. Refresh the page to generate a new one. (I've never been to that site before in my life prior to 30 seconds ago. Just read the first paragraph there.)

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
reply to php111

As a side note, WPA-2 is backwards compatible to WPA if the devices aren't capable.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

reply to psafux

said by psafux:

said by php111:

(I've never been to that site before in my life prior to 30 seconds ago. Just read the first paragraph there.)

Dont get out much on the net eh...
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

php111

Allentown, PA
reply to php111

So, to generate a password from that site I would need to refresh the page, and copy/paste a password, and then log into my router and then take one of those generated passwords and change the password I currently use to a generated one?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Yes, that's correct.

You can use the first 16-20 though. No one will crack that for quite a while.

php111

Allentown, PA

Thank you!!

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to php111

Make sure you write it down or paste it in a file so you have it.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by John Galt:

Make sure you write it down or paste it in a file so you have it.

Hidden too!

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to php111

said by php111:

So, to generate a password from that site I would need to refresh the page, and copy/paste a password, and then log into my router and then take one of those generated passwords and change the password I currently use to a generated one?

I highly suggest making any changes on the router using a hardwired Ethernet connection. That way if you screw something up in the wireless configuration you can easily change it or fix it.

Lastly Windows 8/7/Vista/XP all have a feature called Windows Connect Now that allows you to write the wireless configuration to a USB flash drive. You can then take the flash drive to any other Win 8/7/Vista/XP computer and automatically configure its wireless profile for your network. If the client can not use wcn, ie. like a MAC or Linux client for example, the wireless key is in plain text in the \Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt file on the flash drive. Simply copy-n-paste to the client.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···-network

sbconslt

Los Angeles, CA
reply to php111

In this post the OP is guided to generate a random passphrase then it is revealed he will write it down on a piece of paper or place it in a plain text file or possibly store it in plain text on a USB stick. One would be exchanging a tiny risk of over the air cracking to a much greater risk of physical breach of the passphrase. OP would be better off with a comparably weaker but undictionaryable password that could be committed to memory and not written down.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
reply to antdude

said by antdude:

Hidden too!

I have a regular book that has the critical passwords on the back blank sheets. The wife knows that she can look there and find them there if an 'unfortunate circumstance' (i.e. I croak) presents itself...

Insofar as I have a hundred books or more, it is not a place most people would look for that kind of information.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

reply to sbconslt

said by sbconslt:

In this post the OP is guided to generate a random passphrase then it is revealed he will write it down on a piece of paper or place it in a plain text file or possibly store it in plain text on a USB stick. One would be exchanging a tiny risk of over the air cracking to a much greater risk of physical breach of the passphrase.

My usual advice for home use is to write down the network key (or passphrase) on a piece of paper, and tape it to the router. That way they will easily be able to find it, if they have forgotten it.

I don't worry about the physical breach problem because, for most home routers, anyone with physical access to the router can reset the router and gain access to change the key.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 19.0.2

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

2 recommendations

said by nwrickert:

said by sbconslt:

In this post the OP is guided to generate a random passphrase then it is revealed he will write it down on a piece of paper or place it in a plain text file or possibly store it in plain text on a USB stick. One would be exchanging a tiny risk of over the air cracking to a much greater risk of physical breach of the passphrase.

I don't worry about the physical breach problem because, for most home routers, anyone with physical access to the router can reset the router and gain access to change the key.

+1

If someone breaks into my house just to gain access to my wireless encryption key then I have a whole lot of other problems like what else did they steal for example...

You can always lock up the piece of paper or USB flash drive in a lock box or safe or use an encrypted database like eWallet to store the key if your really paranoid. Personally my USB flash drive with my private WLAN profile on it is in my desk drawer along with using eWallet which is synchronized between my two Windows computers and an iPod Touch (4th gen) device.

sbconslt

Los Angeles, CA

Pieces of paper and USB drives have a habit of walking away, just saying.

Expand your moderator at work