how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mark_Venture

join:2000-05-31
Thorndale, PA

[HD] Rewiring to add new TV outlet?

Our home is newly built. We asked for 4 TV drops, master bed room, play room, family room, and bedroom #4, and that is what they gave us. In the basement, there is a 6way splitter (part of a Leviton 47604-F6S compact structured media enclosure.) that all 4 are connected to.

When comcast hooked us up, the cable modem was hooked via a 2way splitter in the master bedroom, and the comcast installer swapped out the builder's 6 way splitter, with his own 4Way splitter and added a filter onto the input of the 4way.

While the basement is not completely finished, it is insulated, so we have added a TV down there for the Wii, PS3, and a cable box. To do so, I just took everything from the 4way (including filter), and connected back to the 6way. This worked ok, except that we noticed playing stuff from the DVR in the master bed room (main unit in the family room), we saw stuttering, audio drops, pixelation, etc. When checking the cable modem's signal levels, they were within range, but were slightly worse then with the original connection. (I did print outs of the cable modem's status screen before and after moving things around).

I then decided to move the cable modem to the basement. Using a 2way off the main inbound feed, one leg connected to the cable modem, and the other leg to our 6 way splitter serving the 5 TVs.

All has been working fine.

Now I have an interesting problem that just came up. After about a week, the cable box in the playroom stopped working (no picture or sound at all other than the Xfinity logo when pulling the power cord and plugging back in), I had to call comcast to send a refresh signal. The box is now working, but its slow to change channels, and I've noticed a few channels (HGTV HD, Starz HD) show "will be available shortly" instead of the picture/sound.

None of the other TVs is impacted.

Is my thought, that the signal might be a little low due to my current configuration and causing this issure, correct?

Is there a way for me to test signal of the cable at the outlets, or can only a repair person do that?

Any suggestions on how to wire and have all 5 TV's connected and properly working? (without having to pay comcast to do it?)
--
In use... Netgear WNR3500v2.. see profile for PC and cell phone configs

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
your tech installed your wiring incorrectly.

the incoming drop from your cable co should go to a 2 way splitter (or 3-way if you have cable companys home phone)

ONE LEG of this MAIN splitter should go directly to your cable modem, no questions asked, it doesnt mean a new run you can use the existing drops easily, the OTHER LEG of your main splitter will then go into a 3-way splitter, the reason why he removed the 6-way is that if there is unused legs on the splitter it decreases available signal strength, which causes pixelation and dropouts, you now will connect the 3 REMAINING DROPS to the 3 legs of this 3way splitter. the filter will obviously go on the input of this 3 way splitter to block the signals from the Hole Home PVR net work from leaking out of your home and affecting your neighbours pvrs. hope this helps
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

timtom

join:2012-11-15

1 edit
said by Paolo:

your tech installed your wiring incorrectly.

the incoming drop from your cable co should go to a 2 way splitter (or 3-way if you have cable companys home phone)

ONE LEG of this MAIN splitter should go directly to your cable modem, no questions asked, it doesnt mean a new run you can use the existing drops easily, the OTHER LEG of your main splitter will then go into a 3-way splitter, the reason why he removed the 6-way is that if there is unused legs on the splitter it decreases available signal strength, which causes pixelation and dropouts, you now will connect the 3 REMAINING DROPS to the 3 legs of this 3way splitter. the filter will obviously go on the input of this 3 way splitter to block the signals from the Hole Home PVR net work from leaking out of your home and affecting your neighbours pvrs. hope this helps

Why the install was not corrected? What would you do if in bedroom is only 1 cable outlet but customer wants cable box and modem there?

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
then install the modem in a different room, its pretty common now a days that modems have wireless so they do not have to be installed in the room physically where the computer is located, we are not in 1997 any more. secondly, some people actually have ethernet drops in each and every room in their house so the modem can be installed the the basement near the hydro panel and the ethernet wires can be pluigged in giving you internet access in your rooms.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!
Expand your moderator at work

timtom

join:2012-11-15

1 edit

Re: [HD] Rewiring to add new TV outlet?

I does not matter for modem if modem is after 1st split or second as long as it has good signal

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by timtom:

I does not matter for modem if modem is after 1st split or second as long as it has good signal

That is correct. My eMTA modem is after two splitters, and I have Blast 50/10 working fine. It's all about the signal levels, not what is where.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to Paolo

said by Paolo:

You DO realize that, at least here in the US, the majority of the cable co. home phone comes out of the SAME modem as the internet?
So I have NO idea why you're saying the bolded part...

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to Anon

To the OP, it sounds like you have a whole home PVR setup. If so they filter they installed is necessary to prevent the signals related to the Whole Home PVR network from leaking back into the cable plant. If the filter is not installed it can potentially cause problems like you described and can interfere with your neighbours as well.

I don't know if comcast utilizes SDV, but the problems you described with tuning into the premium channels sounds like an SDV issue. With SDV, your set top box must communicate with the head end to request the channel you want. If you have low signal the box may have trouble communicating, hence the delay in tuning into certain channels. Most STBs have a diagnostic screen you can access where you should be able to read the signal levels.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by yyzlhr:

I don't know if comcast utilizes SDV, but the problems you described with tuning into the premium channels sounds like an SDV issue. With SDV, your set top box must communicate with the head end to request the channel you want. If you have low signal the box may have trouble communicating, hence the delay in tuning into certain channels. Most STBs have a diagnostic screen you can access where you should be able to read the signal levels.

Comcast does not use SDV.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Anon

To the OP: Call comcast and have a tech come out with a meter and get everything set the way you want.

Mark_Venture

Thorndale, PA
reply to Paolo
Thanks, but that doesn't cover enough TV outlets. I had 4, but need 5 hook ups.
--
In use... Netgear R6300.. see profile for PC and cell phone configs

Mark_Venture

Thorndale, PA
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

then install the modem in a different room, its pretty common now a days that modems have wireless so they do not have to be installed in the room physically where the computer is located, we are not in 1997 any more. secondly, some people actually have ethernet drops in each and every room in their house so the modem can be installed the the basement near the hydro panel and the ethernet wires can be pluigged in giving you internet access in your rooms.

Well, when it was originally hooked up, the comcast supplied wimpy combo wifi router, cable modem, and eMTA in on box could not supply Wifi to all corners of the house (4100 sq ft) when in the basement which is the only other place it could have been installed since the 4 cable outlets the builder installed all had TV's. Additionally, my PC's are mostly located in the sitting room area (connected to the master bed room).

Weeks later, after having issues with that comcast combo box (internet drops, both wired and wireless), they swapped it out with another combo box that is cable modem and eMTA only, no wifi router, and I am using my own router. So now this cable modem can be in the basement, and my wifi router in the master bed room, and my router DOES extend to the entire house and basement, as well as outside in the back yard (important for summer).

As for cable or ethernet drops in "every room"... here, cable and ethernet are OPTIONS and the builder charges for each. Because of this, and the charge from the builder, I chose the ones I "needed" as a minimum to get started.

That being said, the solution in place that Comcast originally wired did work just fine for the 4 TV's we originally had installed. Its adding the fifth that is causing the issue.
--

Mark_Venture

Thorndale, PA
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

To the OP, it sounds like you have a whole home PVR setup. If so they filter they installed is necessary to prevent the signals related to the Whole Home PVR network from leaking back into the cable plant. If the filter is not installed it can potentially cause problems like you described and can interfere with your neighbours as well.

...Most STBs have a diagnostic screen you can access where you should be able to read the signal levels.

yes, we have multi room DVR. The main box is in the family room. One remote box is in the master bedroom, the other in the basement. Bedroom #4 and the play room have HD "only" box and is not part of the any room DVR. I have tried the filter both on the main input lead (before any splits), as well as off the leg of the 1st 2way splitter as it goes into the 6way splitter.

This box, a PACE 150 unit, doesn't seem to show any signal info on the menu I can bring up
--

Mark_Venture

Thorndale, PA
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

To the OP: Call comcast and have a tech come out with a meter and get everything set the way you want.

thanks. I think I'll have to eventually.

For now, I think I'll live with it since its only the play room TV. My little guy is usually only going to watch Disney Jr, and possibly On Demand (that I have parental locked). And especially based on my past experiences with Comcast techs and service calls. Its almost not worth the aggravation of calling them.
--

XYZ HLR

@bell.ca
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

pretty funny since this guy works for the cable company he should know what he is talking a bout

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
said by XYZ HLR :

said by yyzlhr:

pretty funny since this guy works for the cable company he should know what he is talking a bout

except comcast isnt doing SDV.
--
I'm better than you!