spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DanM64
join:2013-01-10
Mokena, IL

DanM64

Adding more ethernet ports

I currently have a Motorola SBG6580 which I'm happy with. I currently have all 4 ethernet ports filled with things, but ai still have 1 desktop and 1 game console that I would still like to hook up with wires. I already have 1 CAT6 cable going into the room in question, I just am not sure what type of switch or something I need to buy so that I can have 3 ports in that room off of the 1 CAT6 wire. I looked at a few switches online but I am unsure if by using a switch the PC in that room will be able to connect to my home network, enter the config page of the gateway, or access the internet. Also I would like opinions on which would be the best quality device for what I need. Thanks!!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

a simple switch will do.
remember the devices in that room will share the bandwidth of that one router port which COULD lead to a slight increase in latency if both are in HEAVY use at once.
IF that is a problem run a second line so the console has a direct line and put the 2 lowest demand device on the switch right next to the router.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

jaynick to DanM64

Premium Member

to DanM64
If you have an old standalone router laying around you can turn that into a switch and save some money. Just turn off DHCP and connect it using the lan ports to the SBG6580. Also turn off the wireless radio(s) if provided.
DanM64
Mokena, IL

DanM64 to tshirt

to tshirt
Sounds great. Looks like I'll be buying a switch. Does anyone have any recommendations of brand/model number?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I don't know much about the best switches so don't really mind me lol.

But, I think these switches are really cheap on Amazon and seem to have good reviews.
»www.amazon.com/TP-Link-T ··· k+switch

mike34
Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

mike34 to DanM64

Premium Member

to DanM64
If you're not doing gigabit, get this one for 10 bucks with free shipping from Amazon.

»www.amazon.com/TRENDnet- ··· t+switch

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

That's a great little switch for the price.
My son has one and it works great.
Can't comment on the longevity as he has only had it a couple months.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
TPlink as Darknessfall See Profile showed or similar priced gigabit switch is fine. any of the name brands makes something similar and cheap
that sort of wired hardware is pretty simple and hard too far wrong (I prefer to buy local as I can quickly return it if it's transfer rates aren't close to Gigabit or whatever maxs out your computer/network.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog to Wayne99021

Anon

to Wayne99021
For $20, I'd go gigabit, look for a deal like below and you can get one cheap.

Any name brand will do, they are dumb, simple boxes. Pretty much any device that you buy to attach to your network these days will be gigabit. Even if your network is not fully gigabit now, why add anymore old technology to it?

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33122363

$19.99 after the code
whiteyonenh
join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

whiteyonenh to DanM64

to DanM64
I'm pretty partial to the Trendnet greennet series with the metal cases, but that's just me. In general, a switch is a switch imho, go with what you're comfortable buying. I personally own 3 of the Trendnet switches, they've been nothing but solid (1 of the 10/100 5-port, 1 of the gigabit 5-port, and 1 of the gigabit 8-port).

If you do loads of LAN transfers, it's probably better to get something that's gigabit, and if not I still would, because it's not that much more money.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by whiteyonenh:

...it's probably better to get something that's gigabit, and if not I still would, because it's not that much more money.

Agreed. Gigabit switches don't cost much more than their 10/100 counterparts. Also since the OP has Gigabit ports on his cable modem, it would be best to just keep it going and use a Gigabit switch.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG to Demog

Premium Member

to Demog
said by Demog :

they are dumb, simple boxes.

They are not as "dumb" as ethernet hubs are.
Expand your moderator at work
DanM64
Mokena, IL

DanM64

Re: Adding more ethernet ports

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! I ended up ordering the TP Link TL-SG1005- NewEgg had it for $20 and shipping was free! My network is already all gigabit so I definitely wanted a gigabit switch- not to mention that for the price there's really no reason not to.

I prefer to keep most everything wired- the layout of my home made wiring tuings pretty easy, I only use WiFi on my cell phone and laptop, and though the wireless range of the gateway isnt as good as a real wireless router it's plenty for the small amount of WiFi I use. The switch will be used for my Slingbox, a PC, and an Xbox, and I rarely use them all at the same time, so everything should work well.

Thanks again!

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I generally believe that fixed location devices should be wired. Leave wireless to portables like tablets, phones, etc...
DanM64
Mokena, IL

DanM64

That's exactly how I feel.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to whiteyonenh

to whiteyonenh
said by whiteyonenh:

In general, a switch is a switch imho, go with what you're comfortable buying.

Certainly for the unmanaged variety. I like the TrendNet ones as well.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

said by Demog :

they are dumb, simple boxes.

They are not as "dumb" as ethernet hubs are.

I wonder if hubs are even still made with how cheap a switch is now.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Double post.
EG

EG to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

I wonder if hubs are even still made with how cheap a switch is now.

I probably should have stated *are / were*.