Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

My IP Location

Even since I got my new modem and my new IP address it's been messy. Sites have been confused so much :/.

One site: Thinks I'm in Franklin, MA
Google: Focuses on my state but fails to auto find my location
Third site: Thinks I'm in North Attleborough, MA(Seems close to Franklin)
Fourth: Thinks I'm in a nearby town.
5th: Thinks I'm in the town over.
6th: Almost close but puts me in the wrong zip code that's nearby(Puts my location in a very interesting spot)
7th: Franklin, MA
8th: Same as 6th.
etc.

Before this the sites that thought I was in MA thought I was around the same spot in NJ then they thought I was around the north eastern part of RI.

My last IP address had no issues with any of these sites and showed the correct location.

Is my IP address really this crazy or is it just the sites?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

While I won't suggest you post your public IP, I think it may be a good idea to list what the other sites that you are seeing this on so that other people can test with them and see how close they are. If needed, be a bit specific, like site abc, and you click this link, and then that, and it shows your location.

You mentioned google, so I'm assuming you are talking about the google map part of the site, where it shows your location. For me, I feel its correct, as it says I'm in Illinois (which I am).

If you could provide the other 7 sites that are not reporting things correctly, myself (and others) could research the sites and figure out what may be going wrong.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Darknessfall

Pay no attention to those things as IP addresses can be reassigned at anytime and those Geolocation sites have to update their databases.

So just carry on

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall

The data in those geolocation databases are often stale.

Without leaving the comfort of my house, my computing presence has been placed in areas ranging from Massachusetts to Oregon.

At least you seem to stay in the same state.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

3 edits

said by camper:

The data in those geolocation databases are often stale.

Without leaving the comfort of my house, my computing presence has been placed in areas ranging from Massachusetts to Oregon.

At least you seem to stay in the same state.

Oh, I'm in CT lol. I've seen Mass, NJ, CT, and RI locations over the past few months.

Sites:
1- Google Maps = Correct state but auto location finding usually fails.
2 - Youtube = Shows next town over at times
3 - Slickdeals = Shows North Attleborough, MA
4 - »www.whatismyip.com/ip-tools/ip-a···-lookup/ = Franklin, MA
5 - Speedtest.net App = Thinks I'm in a nearby zip code and shows me living in a very interesting spot lol.
6 - whatismyipaddress.com/ = ^
7 - »www.ip2location.com/ ^
8 - Weather apps = Thinks I'm in the next town over
8 - Comcast's Website = Thinks I'm in MA or the nearby zip code at times.

Darknessfall
Premium
reply to camper

- Double post

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to Darknessfall

One site told me that I am in the middle of the Everglades many miles from the nearest road or cell tower.

I'd have to be on an air boat to be where they show my IP address and have a net ready satellite phone.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Darknessfall

Most of the web pages you listed above show my location as either Libertyville, IL or Vernon Hills, IL. Speedtest.net pics the server in Arlington Heights, IL over the one in Aurora, IL as the "closest" test server. However, I think I may be closer to Aurora then I am to Arlington Heights.

So yes, I see what you are talking about, but I don't know why it is not more accurate then it is.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Darknessfall

HI!

Just curious as to the importance of it being somewhat accurate. Mine from Comcast is almost spot on. I'd rather it be hundreds of miles away.

I may be not considering all factors, but one of the only reasons to be accurate that I can think of off the top of my head, would be for content from a closer CDN like YouTube and such.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

Is my IP address really this crazy or is it just the sites?

It is the web sites that are crazy. My location is generally pegged at some point within a 40 mile radius of San Francisco, California; anywhere from Santa Rosa in the north to San José in the south. That is about 80 miles between the extremes.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

AnonMan

@comcast.net

The location your IP says you're in doesn't impact anything really.

CDN deliver you to the closest CDN based on the location of the DNS server you use as the DNS server is the one to point you to the CDN and will pick closest to itself.

That said the only thing IP location can impact is say you are streaming a sports channel online and it's blacked out for a specific markets and they think you are in that market due to geolocation being wrong.

Otherwise don't worry about what the IP says... Your routes, traces, speed etc. will all remain the same.