Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MarkyD
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

Does Cox throttle Usenet?

Lately my speeds in downloading via Giganews have gone from 3.5MB/sec or so to 1.5-2MB/sec. I'm on the 30mbps Premier, so 3.75MB/Sec would be maxing out my connection. I'm not sure what has caused this decrease in speeds. I've tried different ports, as well as SSL and no SSL, all with about the same results. Has anyone else experienced this? I seem to be able to max out my connection downloading large files from my Google Drive, etc.
--
VMware Guru by day; Android fanboy always.

D3rAnG3D

join:2013-03-24

My problem is similar but different. Since 3/15, when downloading from Giganews, my internet connection gets reset after a few minutes of downloading. Once it starts, it resets every 5 minutes or so for about 2 minutes. My downloads eventually finish but it's pretty disruptive if I'm doing anything else while downloading. I've tried SSL and VPN and neither help with this behavior. I've tried other types of traffic (i.e. hd streaming, large file copies, etc) and can't reproduce the issue on demand. I can reproduce it every time while downloading from Giganews though.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is seeing this as well. I can't be sure it's throttling because it has happened a couple of times even though I'm not downloading from Giganews. Between disconnects, my speeds appear to be normal...

Anonguy

@cox.net

I buy blocks from News Group Direct and can max out my 25mbps connection without a problem.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to MarkyD

I can also confirm not throttling over here. Maybe try

»www.giganews.com/performance.html#traceroute

m33crob

join:2013-02-06
Phoenix, AZ
reply to MarkyD

I use Astraweb since it is only $11 per month and has almost the exact same retention as GigaNews. Last I checked, AW had like 8 days less retention than GN, but since these periods are moving into the several years range, it doesn't matter. I am not having any issues with usenet. I'm on the Ultimate tier and definitely hitting 19 mBps.

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to MarkyD

Why would cox throttle NNTP? A majority of the traffic on the internets is kitten videos , netflix and torrents.

mattybaby

join:2003-05-14
Phoenix, AZ
reply to MarkyD

Not in AZ on the Preferred tier.

Alt.binz windows client + secure.usenetserver.com + 20 concurrent connections over port 8080 = 23-26 Megabits per second consistenly. I do see spikes up to 32Mbits. No complaints whatsoever.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to MarkyD

I have no throttling issues with Giganews.

shakazulu

join:2001-06-20
reply to MarkyD

I have no problems over here on preferred package. Get 32Mbs+ constantly and that is with getting usenet via free ipv6 servers, so not sure why u paid customers of usenet will not be able to get better or more.