uniqs
share rss forum feed

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

For a similar price and specs is having 3D worth it?

I'm going to be buying a new TV soon. I need to replace my 32" Sony Tube TV. I've had that TV for almost 8 years. After some power outages my TV color hues are off. TV no longer displays yellows and greens properly. My yellows are orange and my greens are bluish.

Anyway I'm looking at these 2 47" LG Smart TV's. See links below from B&H.
»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8···LED.html
»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8···_3D.html

I think M6200, which is 3D, is a 2012 model and that's why is price lower than the LS5700 which has no 3D. I really don't need or want 3D. But since the 3D is price lower is it still worth buying it. Specs on both TV's are very similar. Will having 3D make it less reliable? Picture wise in 2D it should be the same.

Anyway my biggest worry is that down the road I will regret not getting 3D. I could always use it for gaming. And the 3D is about $50 cheaper.

Thanks.
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v7, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v7 & Online Armor Premium v6, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

NotHereNow

@verizon.net

I had the same thing happen to my 25yo Sony Trinitron, but after a few days of being back on "trickle" power (as long as it's plugged in and getting power, it's not really "off" completely), it was back to normal. I still have it, though I don't use it as much--mostly for DVDs of older TV shows.

As far as 3D goes, I wouldn't get a TV with 3D in any circumstance. I'm not sure it's still true, but I've read (somewhere) that the panels used for 3D were "cheaper" (as in "crappy" by comparison). It's a level of complexity that offers no benefit (to my way of seeing anyway).

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to gugarci

Well that's what I'm concerned about. But my TV is not going to get any better. I've putting up with my colors being off since Irene!!!!!

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to gugarci

i would leave the "smart" stuff off. In a few short years updates for the "smart" apps will be abandoned and no longer updated when the new "latest and greatest" comes along. Instead just a good quality TV . You don't need the 3d either. If you need "smart" stuff use a low cost STB so when it gets obsolete you only throw the STB away not ditch the whole TV .

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to gugarci

I just want to be able to access Netflix. My wife wants that's capability. And frankly using Netflix with the Xbox controller is a PITA. So is it worth to get the 3D??? Again the 3D TV is priced about $50 less.

Just found this link.
»hometheater.about.com/od/televis···Cons.htm
#2 of the Pro's might be my answer. According to LG's specs the 3D TV's contrast ratio is a little higher than the non 3D.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit

3D is just an annoying fad to say the least.

Why LG? They are not known for great TV's...

Here is a 50 inch Plasma for $100 less and free shipping

»www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+5···=8239047

Personally I think any plasma has a better picture and wider viewing angle than any LCD I have seen.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to gugarci

Not looking at Plasma. The TV is going to be in a room that is surrounded by windows. During the day when it's sunny this room get' really bright. Plasma are too dim for this room. Plus I want built in WiFi.

Also Consumer Report rates LG very highly.
--
Desktop Win 7 x64 Emsisoft Anti Malware v7, Laptop Win 7 x64 & Desktop XP Pro Emsisoft Anti Malware v7 & Online Armor Premium v6, Netbook Win 7 Starter and Netbook XP Home Avast 7, MBAM and Hitman Pro used on-demand only.

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gugarci

Might have to rethink plasma. For $749 I can get WiFi, and 1080 in plasma. Burn in worries me with plasma but from what I've read is no longer a big issue. And the room brightness is probablt not a big issue either.
»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8···_3D.html
--

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

Burn-in?

Sure it's possible but even in the CRT days burn-in was rare.

As for the built in WiFi norbert26 is right. These apps could be abandoned in a couple years and even Netflix could change something that would make it obsolete.

You can get a little box like a Roku for $50-$80 that will do Netflix and toss it if something obsoletes it in the future.
--

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ

I've thought about Roku. Do you need to pay a subscription fee to use Roku? I already pay for Netflix.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

No subscription for Roku.

A Roku is just a device that plays streaming content and has "apps" that play Netflix and Hulu+.

Kind of like the "smart" in a "smart TV" but a standalone device.
--

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to gugarci

That might be worth looking into.
Thanks.

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
reply to gugarci

said by gugarci:

And frankly using Netflix with the Xbox controller is a PITA.

If that is your only complaint about using the xbox for netflix- »www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Media-Re···x+remote

gugarci
Premium
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to gugarci

Never seen that before.
Thanks.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to gugarci

if you just need a device to receive netflix, look into the sony bdp-s590 blu ray player. it can be had for about $100 if you look, and has a crapload of apps including netflix and hulu. wifi too.

personally, i like 3d. watched promethius the other day in 3d and it was awesome.