Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Leaked: Windows Blue Build 9364

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkNGkGeDd3c

If early indications are to be believed, Microsoft is planning hit the ground running with this release, rushing through testing stages and deploy it to consumers sometime this year. This represents a significant release cycle for Microsoft, which usually upgrades its operating system every 2 to 3 years. The new strategy involves releasing smaller upgrades every year or so, similar to Apple’s OS X release cycle. Faster releases will allow the company to keep up with an ever-changing computer landscape.

It is left to see when Microsoft will finally issue the first public build of Windows Blue and allow us all to get our hands on the goods.

Via: »www.redmondpie.com/windows-blue-···e-video/
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

Interesting,....

Thanks for posting that,....

It doesn't look all that different from Windows 8 but there are subtle changes that I detected with tiles and scrolling,.....

No triditional start button,....

This reminds me of what I read about Windows Blue. There would supposedly be a UI change but no one said there would be a change back to the old start button. It's still early yet so for those who want the old start button back (of which I am not one of them) may still have hope.

With any luck Windows Blue wont break the functionality of the programs that do bring back the start button,.....for those that want it,....

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Octavean:

With any luck Windows Blue wont break the functionality of the programs that do bring back the start button,.....for those that want it,....

Even if it does, I'm sure those programs will be updated
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by darcilicious:

said by Octavean:

I'm sure you're right.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

quote:
this will be a largely minor release focusing on sharpening the rough edges that have kept users off Windows 8. Indeed, if the leaked screenshots and video look anything similar to the final release, Microsoft is largely focused on tweaking Windows 8 rather than revamping it once again. For starters, Control Panel has been improved, allowing more settings to be changed without the need to access the Desktop, which has been quite an annoyance for users of touch-screen computers
Judging from that, I don't think MS understands what's kept users off Windows 8. A lot more people are annoyed than users of touch screen computers. heh

Which is fine with me, Win7 is chugging happily along, but it sort of limits the number of people who will be excited by the new build or willing to buy ... or buy Windows, anyway.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

said by Octavean:

Although, I will add that there was a registry hack in pre-release versions of Windows 8 that allowed Windows Snap to function on lower resolution screens. In Windows 8 RTM that old registry hack was no longer functional and I have seen no equivalent to it.

Its not a big feature IMO so no big deal but it might show that things could get difficult,......

If someone bought a program for Start menu functionality and upgraded to Windows Blue and lost that functionality even for a short time (while they update / fix the defuncted program) it could be difficult on them if they depended on it,....

I personally don't use such programs so I don't really care but you know what I mean.

I don't think Microsoft would or should break this functionality though,....

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to goalieskates

said by goalieskates:

Judging from that, I don't think MS understands what's kept users off Windows 8. A lot more people are annoyed than users of touch screen computers. heh

Which is fine with me, Win7 is chugging happily along, but it sort of limits the number of people who will be excited by the new build or willing to buy ... or buy Windows, anyway.

I have always built Windows computers and am by no means an apple fanatic but I love my iphone and ipad and if MS keeps putting out crappy releases - I would pick up a new MBP w/ Retina.
--
Add a signature here

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

I wouldn't exactly say I "love" my iPhone and iPad but I do like using them. I have an HP Touchpad running Android and I can say I like using Android too,...

Windows has zero effect on if I were to buy a Mac in the future though. My Wife's employer switched from Windows to OS X so the first Mac in the house was actually given to my Wife for work purposes,...in this case a Mac Book Pro,....for travel and telecommuting,...

Which has sort of shaped my philosophy about people not always being able to choose the platform they are on, at least not for work,...

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Octavean:

Which has sort of shaped my philosophy about people not always being able to choose the platform they are on, at least not for work,...

Or even the OS. I was on XP at work for waaaaaaay to long
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by darcilicious:

said by Octavean:

Or even the OS. I was on XP at work for waaaaaaay to long

Indeed,......

Point well taken,....

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to darcilicious

From what ever reason, that video reminded me of what I see on my Nexus 7.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

said by Snakeoil:

From what ever reason, that video reminded me of what I see on my Nexus 7.

windows 8 has many visual similarities to android and google web apps... I agree.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious

quote:
Microsoft are close to releasing their next-generation Windows OS, which is reportedly set for our consumption later this year. The Verge reports that Microsoft began working on a "milestone preview" version of Windows Blue earlier this month.

The Redmond-based software giant plans to make it available to developers and enthusiasts at their Build developer conference in June. The final product most likely won't arrive as 'Windows Blue,' but right now there are no rumors on the new name Microsoft will give it. Rumors have suggested, however, that the return of the Start Bar would be included.

Microsoft's Build conference takes place on June 26 in San Francisco.

»www.tweaktown.com/news/29385/win···dex.html