uniqs
share rss forum feed

dman66
Premium
join:2004-06-22
Streamwood, IL

[DNS] Transfer Comcast Registered Domain

I have Comcast Business Class.

When I first got service Comcast registered a domain on my behalf. The domain has my personal information in it but the registrar is "DOMAIN PEOPLE" (www.domainpeople.com).

Can I transfer this domain to another registrar that I actually have control over?

The domain is listed as 'clientTransferProhibited' and even though I am listed as the owner I can't seem to initiate a transfer.

Thanks!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

I Googled this: »www.nic.ru/dns/docs/dp/en/status.html

See if that will work.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
reply to dman66

I would try contacting Comcast before doing anything with the ICANN

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

3 edits
reply to dman66

You should be able to handle this yourself from the Comcast Business Class Portal site: »businessclass.comcast.net/

After you get logged in you can then select Manager Tools, and then the Websites link (then just follow the link trails as shown below):

Yes, it is a convoluted path, but I didn't design the Comcast Business Class Portal site; the site layout is Comcast's doing.

FWIW, I left my "vanity" domain registered through Comcast (because it is "free"), and just transferred the DNS to my regular registrar (register.com). That only costs me $5.00 per year to get full DNS control of that domain (as shown in the screen capture below.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

tjsummers51l

join:2010-01-22

You will need to contact Hostway to obtain your transfer key. If you contact Comcast tech support, they will be able to give you the number.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by tjsummers51l:

You will need to contact Hostway to obtain your transfer key. If you contact Comcast tech support, they will be able to give you the number.

As I recall, when I did click on the domain unlock update button a couple of years ago when I was considering transferring that domain to register.com, the web site gave me the key (no need to contact anybody's support); but perhaps that has recently changed.

Anyway, I am not the one wanting to transfer a Comcast issued domain name; but that information might be useful to the OP if indeed the Business Class Portal Control Panel domain unlock function has recently changed.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

dman66
Premium
join:2004-06-22
Streamwood, IL
reply to NetFixer

That was exactly the guide I needed...

Seems my account doesn't have any connection between the Manage Domain menu and the sitecontrol website you show right after.

When I click to manage my domain my only option is to cancel it... nothing else.

I ended up just going to sitecontrol website directly and request my username and password and got to the appropriate page.

Thanks!