spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Trevor S

@cox.net

Modem Giving Out?

So this is the third day in a row I've experienced my internet slowing down to speeds near unbearable with it's regular speed test being up to 10+ mbps before these events happened. Since it's Sunday I'm unavailable to call Cox today but I thought I'd still get some input as to what's happening currently. After fighting with the router (Linksys E2500) for a few hours & eventually resetting it, I finally noticed the blinking orange "Link" light in my modem (Cisco DPQ3212) which I'm assuming can't be too good. I guided myself from the previous thread:
»[NV] Random Drops; Help!

And assumed I'm having similar problems so I'll leave some of my information down here, the only problem being that I have no idea how to pull an error log from my modem itself:

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
Link light isn't anything directly to worry about. As per manual

LINK—Off when no Ethernet/USB device is present,
illuminates to indicate that an Ethernet or USB device is
connected, and blinks to indicate that data is being transferred
between the PC and the cable modem

Page 13 »www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/a···02_C.pdf

First thing I would do is bypass router and run speed tests. Looks like something is throttling your connection. Notice how the speed is high at first, and then goes down during the test? I would say there is heavy traffic somewhere else on your network which is getting priority but that's just a wild guess.

Anonguy

@cox.net
reply to Trevor S
Have you tried without the router?
That EMTA is new and signals are great.

Being that you had to fight for the router for a few hours then reset it I would start by bypassing it and ruling that out.

Trevor S

@cox.net
reply to Trevor S
Just tried to bypass the router & see if I could just go back to Speedtest.net but got a "Unable to resolve the server's DNS address." error along with my ethernet adapter unable to identify the connection directly between my computer and my modem, unless I was supposed to try this another way.

Anonguy

@cox.net
Reset the modem after you unplug the router.

When modem is back online then plug into PC.

Trevor S

@cox.net
Holy hell apparently something is siphoning off my connection, my next 5 tests:

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
Now to isolate, reconnect your router, check to make sure you speed is bad, and then turn off computers 1 by 1 until your speed returns. If it doesn't, its probably someone on your wireless. If it does, take a look at what ever computer you shut down when your speed returns.

PS. May want to edit your original post to remove the MAC address.

Trevor S

@cox.net
reply to Trevor S
I think just resetting the modem itself fixed it, my next 4 tests:

& Those are speeds with 4 different computers & 3+ devices attached so I'd say we're back to normal. But yeah I don't know/don't think I can take out the MAC address currently as an anon.....

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
I had to reset mine also yesterday, since the download went below dial-up speed. All is well now. Occasionally you may have to reboot the modem and router both from time to time.