Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits

free VPN from/to anywhere for non-p2p/torrent traffic

read here about free VPN client access to an unlimited swarm of volunteer host outlets worldwide.

»torrentfreak.com/free-access-to-···-130324/

once you install this software and can become a host outlet for other swarm members, or a client using other hosts in the swarm. depending on which outlet you choose, performance is amazing as the swarm itself adds no overhead to your connection. there is no shovelware or anything else evil here other than it putting the disconnected client in your startup which you can manually remove.

do NOT use this for p2p/torrent traffic even if the outlet country is known to tolerate p2p traffic. that's because even though a vpn provider may not log a foreign user over it's leaseweb, a local isp may still log what appears to them as a local public ip, which may not bode well for that local swarm outlet volunteer.

this is perfect vpn supplement for me because my paid vpn only lets me outlet in a few euro countries. with this free system i can outlet to get localized news feeds that are often blocked to foreigners, and do it through a true vpn tunnel to a individually owned local IP, not a leaseweb or proxy that many sights detect and block as they know it's probably a foreign vpn visitor.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
So really its just a dynamic address book of VPNs, still doesn't say anything about who owns or operates the VPNs or what they do with the data passing through the VPN.

For example pool-96-241-86-134.washdc.fios.verizon.net has over 1500 people using that VPN how would you know if this was or wasn't the NSA's Crystal Palace having a little peek at your 'secure' data.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to Packeteers
Not a bad idea, but since it was already posted on torrentfreak, that eliminates any chance of me using it. People will swarm to it now for torrenting music/videos/etc. Not only will that slow it down, it will be filled with liability. People just have to abuse every service that comes out.

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
normally i would agree with such sentiment, but this case is unique as the larger the swarm of host outlet volunteers torrentfreak helps attract, the better vpn alternate it may become, so in this case the more zerg the better. as for abusers - well, it's still a work in progress so hopefully it will be refined to discourage them. you have a similar problem with seed:peer ratios for torrenting, and that p2p system manages to function well despite all the abuse.

I should mention that I have already tested this system out and found it does not add additional overhead to the expected performance of your client to your host over a given distance, which i found to be very impressive as i was able to download at nearly the same speeds as my paid for VPN to the same country. also the client install is clean and inobtrusive. i know online tech savvy people automatically shudder when they see the words "free" and "vpn" in the same phrase, but this really is an exceptional scheme worthy of a closer look - otherwise i would not have posted it here as i'm just as naturally skeptical as any DLSR regular.

i really believe once they nail down ways to minimize abuse, this could be the next big thing...
Expand your moderator at work