how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clu

@comcast.net

2 edits

[Speed] Linksys WRT54G and the new Blast Tier

Mod Note: Split from the speed upgrade report thread because it was off topic there.

In reply to this post.

If memory serves, you could have kept the router. It's the Docsis 2.0 modems that have a maximum speed of 38Mpbs, whereas the Linksys WRT54G can give you a speed 54Mbps. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

2 recommendations

Re: Houston, TX

said by Clu :

If memory serves, you could have kept the router. It's the Docsis 2.0 modems that have a maximum speed of 38Mpbs, whereas the Linksys WRT54G can give you a speed 54Mbps. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Don't I wish that were true. The Linksys WRT54G series of routers do say up to 54, but real world performance is anywhere from 27 to 35. Anything more then that and you're very lucky.

The WRT54G series also doesn't have Gigabit ports like are recommended for the higher speed routers.

DJboutit

join:2009-12-10
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

For me with the Lynksys WRT54G router which has great range I was never able to get more that 24.5mb to 26mb down wired to it

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Clu

Re: [Speed] Linksys WRT54G and the new Blast Tier

I usually got a solid 38 Mbps wired into my WRT54GL, with it running Tomato and the CPU bumped up from 200 MHz to 216. It could go a bit higher, but it was rather jumpy on throughput. I'm not sure how, but for a couple of days, it did over 50 Mbps.

As for the WRT54G, I suppose it depends on the version. Some of them have more RAM than others, some have slightly different SoCs, some run at higher speeds than others, etc.
--
KI6RIT

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

nightwalker
Nightwalker

join:1999-08-07
Chicago, IL
reply to Clu

Your both confused about what speeds you are referencing.

The 54 Mbit speed you both are referencing is the wifi speed. Not the wired speed. Most likely your linksys has 4, 10/100 ports with either a 10 mbit or 100 mbit wan port.

If you wanted faster wifi speeds, you would need to upgrade to a Wireless-N router, which will probably have GigE ports on the lan side. If your wireless devices do not support Wireless-N, then you will still only connect at 802.11G speeds
--
»www.reverse.net

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
reply to Clu

In terms of WiFi performance...

As others have stated somewhere between 20-30mbps is a reasonable expectation for plain old 802.11g. I run an 802.11n setup and it's capable of about 115mbps at a distance of about 30ft with a couple of walls in the way. That's just enough for 100/20 service.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Clu

Bottom line, no. As others mentioned, you will not get wireless performance much above the low to mid 20s with wireless G.

The wrt54g was a great router in its day (as long as you had the right version!) as evidenced by its very long track record, but in today's bradband speeds, it is time to go to pasture. I have performance tier, and even that puts the wrt54g close to its limits. I wouldn't even dream of using a wrt54g with 50/10 Blast.

Yes, even when you upgrade your router to 11N, keep in mind that all the devices that you run wirelessly need to be 11N as well in order to get true 11N performance. Do not set your 11N router to "mixed" devices (which is often the default router setting!), or you still will get limited speed.

If you do have legacy 11G devices, then the solution is to have a dual-band 11N router where you can designate the older 11G devices to their own band, leaving dedicated 11N to your faster devices. If you are running an older laptop or desktop with an 11g wifi connector, buy an 11N usb wifi adapter in order to achieve the speed that you are paying for.
--
Deeds, not words

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

Right, an 802.11g client transmitting at 25-30mbps is hogging all of the available bandwidth on a 2.4GHz channel even if you have an 802.11n router.