StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Mayor Bloomberg: "Get used to it"

quote:
'We're going to have more visibility and less privacy': Mayor Bloomberg admits soon NYPD surveillance cameras will be on nearly every corner and in the air.

'You wait, in five years, the technology is getting better, they’ll be cameras everyplace . . . whether you like it or not,' Bloomberg said Friday. 'The argument against using automation is just this craziness that 'Oh, it’s Big Brother.' Get used to it!'
»www.nydailynews.com/new- ··· .1296103

Or in layman's terms "Take it peons!".

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

Never say "It couldn't happen here."
But it couldn't happen here (with the current/near future administrations).

The differences in how the States view privacy is noteworthy.
e.g., In Hawaii when LE wants a wiretap the court will appoint a lawyer to act as the wiretap subjects advocate arguing against the order in private session.
This doesn't mean the subject is made aware of the application because their not - the attorney acts on the subjects behalf without their knowledge.

Of course this doesn't affect Federal wiretapping but it does show the differences in values.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Agreed. I was just thinking about that very issue.

In the US law enforcement is hierarchical. The President can't order the police to do anything. The same applies to Governors. In some states LE is refusing to enforce certain laws (Federal and/or State).

The Feds don't have the resources, yet, to be everywhere. And people are, for now, free to move if a certain jurisdictions don't follow their values.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

quote:
...'The argument against using automation is just this craziness that 'Oh, it’s Big Brother.' Get used to it!'

He speaks like someone in the Inner Party... until the day arrives when he suddenly discover's he's actually in the Outer Party, from the perspective of those in power well above him.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Peeping tom.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to StuartMW

to StuartMW
Do not question and do not argue.
Mayor ControlFreak knows best - just ask him.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
Bull. Hawaii is the FIRST AND ONLY state in the nation to totally VIOLATE personal privacy when it comes to medical issues. ALL OTHER STATES require OPT IN to any setup of state wide or local sharing by a computerized network used by all medical providers, pharmacies, hospitals, therapists, naturopaths, etc of a citizens personal health data (it is MUCH MUCH worse than the crap CVS is pulling nationwide against their employees). In Hawaii there is a statewide computer network setup and two more in the process of being set up on my island. On the Mainland, individuals in ALL states must opt IN to computerized medical networks before their medical information is shared and scattered all over creation so they have absolutely no medical privacy. In Hawaii, the individual is required to opt OUT. By default, because the state of Hawaii says we are idiots and must be protected against having any health privacy whatsoever, everyone is AUTOMATICALLY OPTED IN TO ALL THREE NETWORKS. I will be opting out once I find out how one does that. I suspect it will not be easy but probably involve delivering snail mail letters to every provider I have ever seen or will ever in the future see...doctors, pharmacists, HMSA, physical therapists, mental health advisers, etc.

So don't tell me Hawaii has good privacy for its citizens. It was bone chilling to read the comments of Hawaii state officials regarding how little respect, if any, will be given to personal medical privacy and to learn that ONLY Hawaii is throwing personal medical privacy down the drain makes me quite angry. (I just got the CVS crap from HMSA yesterday that also violates my medical privacy and I torn it up as I don't want CVS putting crap on Facebook, and who knows where else, about what I purchase OTC health wise using the HMSA sponsored CVS card).

Plus, can't you just see what a joke it will be when somebody hacks into one of these three networks and publishes a lot of personal medical data all over the internet? On the Mainland, from what I read, it will be opt IN only and the opt in will be EACH TIME ....no one time opt in so personal medical privacy will be protected yet when there is a REAL need for sharing of personal medical information (hospitalization for surgery) then the individual can opt in just for a specified period of time and can designate the extent of the opt in. This shows respect for the individual and their medical privacy. Hawaii's opt out only shows the opposite and state officials have stated that they believe the citizens of Hawaii are too stupid to be allowed to have any medical privacy (unless they are bright enough and diligent enough to, on their own, find out how to opt out). Most citizens won't even know they have a choice because the state has decided to not tell them UNLESS they SPECIFICALLY ASK ABOUT THEIR RIGHTS.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
Is this something new or just a confirmation of something we already knew, you can't expect privacy in public areas. So if someone were to stick a webcam on every street corner, what changes?

Blake

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Mayor Bloomberg is a fine one to talk about "craziness." I'm pretty sure his photo's in the dictionary.

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Isn't this is the same guy that tried to ban 16 oz sodas at retail outlets? 'Nuff said IMO...

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna

Premium Member

Yes, same guy. He's an idiot.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by La Luna:

Yes, same guy. He's an idiot.

Seconded.

Then again: NYC has had a very long list of mayoral idiots going all the way back to the heyday of Jimmy Walker during the roaring 1920's...all legally elected I might add.

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

shortckt to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
quote:
Bloomberg warned that drones would be able to peep into private residences - but that Peeping Tom legislation could help maintain some privacy....

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I don't see how you stop that. And it's not a question of whether I think it's good or bad. I just don't see how you could stop that because we're going to have them."
Just because Mr. Mayor doesn't want to do anything to stop this doesn't mean the residents of his state won't. It may take a video from one of these cameras of someone in their bathroom accidentally getting posted on YT to galvanize the public sentiment.
shortckt

shortckt to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Bull. Hawaii is the FIRST AND ONLY state in the nation to totally VIOLATE personal privacy when it comes to medical issues....

Yet isn't it Hawaii where employers cannot ask applicants to disclose if they were arrested or have a criminal background? Not positive about this, just going from some job applications I've seen for multi-state corps where they have a whole page of fine print addressing applicants in each state, and Hawaii residents are instructed not to answer those questions.

PS: what's is CVS doing nationwide against their employees?

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

2 edits

1 recommendation

Snowy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

...because the state of Hawaii says we are idiots...

Some residents make a strong case for that.

Edit for clarity:
on reflection...

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Hup, two, three, four...

Killer_B
Speedy
join:2002-02-11
Evanston, IL

4 recommendations

Killer_B to Rojo31

to Rojo31
said by Rojo31:

Do not question and do not argue.
Mayor ControlFreak knows best - just ask him.

We interrupt this program with a special bulletin:

America is now under martial law.
All constitutional rights, have been suspended.

Stay in your homes.
Do not attempt to contact loved ones, insurance agents or attorneys.

Shut up.

Do not attempt to think, or depression may occur.

Stay in your homes.

Curfew is at 7 PM sharp, after work!
Anyone caught outside the gates of their subdivision sectors after curfew,

Will. Be. Shot.

Remain calm. Do not panic.

Your neighborhood watch officer will be by, to collect urine samples in the morning.
Anyone caught interfering with the collection of urine examples,

Will. Be. Shot.

Stay in your homes! Remain calm.

The number one enemy of progress, is questions!
National security is more important than individual will.

All sports broadcasts will proceed as normal.

No more than two people may gather anywhere without permission.
Use only the drugs prescribed by your boss or supervisor.

Shut up! be happy.

Obey all orders without question.
The comfort you've demanded is now mandatory.

Be happy.
At last everything is done, FOR YOU.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Rojo31

All sports broadcasts and entertainment feeds will proceed as normal. Remain distracted.

Fixed.

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium Member
join:2000-11-23

1 recommendation

Rebrider to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Please stop telling the people that live in New York that this is bad. Tell them what a good idea this is and how much better their lives will be. Do you really want them to leave and move here?
said by StuartMW:

quote:
'We're going to have more visibility and less privacy': Mayor Bloomberg admits soon NYPD surveillance cameras will be on nearly every corner and in the air.

'You wait, in five years, the technology is getting better, they’ll be cameras everyplace . . . whether you like it or not,' Bloomberg said Friday. 'The argument against using automation is just this craziness that 'Oh, it’s Big Brother.' Get used to it!'

Or in layman's terms "Take it peons!".

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Rebrider:

Do you really want them to leave and move here?

Well there's not much chance of them moving to where I am. I'm hundreds of miles from any major city--on purpose

The only surveillance camera's around here are at stores wanting to catch shoplifters. Plus our soda's can be any size

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
Many have moved here over the years, but it doesn't matter. We may be podunk center compared to NYC, but not where cameras etc. are concerned. We've had them forever. After all, guys, think of them as revenue!

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
they have these on intersections and on some blocks around town in granite city, IL. Not a terrible idea, and truthfully how much privacy can you really have in public? None really, nor should you expect it.

my brother in law is a dispatcher and I go and talk to him at his PD every now (not granite city, IL) and then. It came in handy recently in a drive by shooting where he works. Guy is going to have a hard time proving he wasn't the one with the gun.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

After all, guys, think of them as revenue!

The camera's or the New Yorkers?
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I predict a bull market in these...

StuartMW
Premium Member

2 recommendations

StuartMW

Premium Member

And/or these

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium Member
join:2000-11-23

Rebrider to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by Rebrider:

Do you really want them to leave and move here?

Well there's not much chance of them moving to where I am. I'm hundreds of miles from any major city--on purpose

The only surveillance camera's around here are at stores wanting to catch shoplifters. Plus our soda's can be any size

When asked where I live, I have to tell people you can't get here from there. We also have any size soda or beer or just about anything else.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to Killer_B

Premium Member

to Killer_B
said by Killer_B:

Do not attempt to think, or depression may occur.

It can yes Or you can view it all as a movie, get some popcorn (and really big soda), and enjoy the show

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
Both, if you happen to be the Mayor. :LD

Faster56
Premium Member
join:2013-03-09

Faster56 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
For security and safety surveillance and accurate information of events cameras are your friends. It's too bad that NYC is being used as a major US proving ground. I'd prefer Los Angeles or San Diego or just about any other major city to NYC.

I'd like to give a sincere from the heart honest explanation as to why I feel that way but it would be grossly misinterpreted as flaming or trolling. That's does no one any good.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to shortckt

Premium Member

to shortckt
said by shortckt:

quote:
Bloomberg warned that drones would be able to peep into private residences - but that Peeping Tom legislation could help maintain some privacy....

"We're going to have more visibility and less privacy. I don't see how you stop that. And it's not a question of whether I think it's good or bad. I just don't see how you could stop that because we're going to have them."
Just because Mr. Mayor doesn't want to do anything to stop this doesn't mean the residents of his state won't. It may take a video from one of these cameras of someone in their bathroom accidentally getting posted on YT to galvanize the public sentiment.

the issue in such a case is that the city could ask why the person did not have blinds or curtains.

its NYC if a camera on a pole can see in your BR window, So can the people across the street, So can the kid with a zoom lense.