uniqs

geh
Premium Member
join:2012-04-08
U.S.A.

geh

Premium Member

[Southwest] Typical triple play setup?

Hey gang, moving into a FIOS house next month, and will be ordering voice/tv/data package from Verizon. I'm interested to find out what to expect on install day. I'll be ordering the multi-room DVR and two other HD Set Top Boxes.

I believe the termination point is in the master bedroom.
antioch
join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA

antioch

Where in the south west?

geh
Premium Member
U.S.A.

geh

Premium Member

Garland Texas. I assume that was southwest?

Termination point is in the master BR. I'll be ordering 1 multi-room DVR, 2 STB, internet, and phone. There is not ethernet to the other rooms. I believe there is coax. Is a particular method preferred?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to geh

MVM

to geh
I don't know what you mean by "termination point". If you're referring to the ONT, it is very unusual to install the ONT in the master BR in a SFH. If you're referring to the router, then yes, the router can be placed in the master BR or any place else there is a coax connection.

VZ's standard install is coax from the ONT to the router, unless you have a speed tier over 100Mbps, then cat5 is used.

geh
Premium Member
U.S.A.

geh

Premium Member

said by More Fiber:

I don't know what you mean by "termination point". If you're referring to the ONT, it is very unusual to install the ONT in the master BR in a SFH. If you're referring to the router, then yes, the router can be placed in the master BR or any place else there is a coax connection.

VZ's standard install is coax from the ONT to the router, unless you have a speed tier over 100Mbps, then cat5 is used.

I must be talking about the ONT. It appears to be in the MBR because of network demarc is directly behind it, on the outside of that wall. Should I have them move it? A central location in the house will be where the TV is going to be setup in the Living Room.
geh

geh

Premium Member

Click for full size
I got some pics during the home inspection. First is the outside wall where the termination is. Second is the device in the master bedroom, just inside where the termination point is. That is the ONT no?

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by geh:

I got some pics during the home inspection. First is the outside wall where the termination is. Second is the device in the master bedroom, just inside where the termination point is. That is the ONT no?

On the outside is the ONT itself ... the device on the inside is the battery backup & power supply for the ONT.

geh
Premium Member
U.S.A.

geh

Premium Member

Sweet, thanks for the clarification.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by geh:

Sweet, thanks for the clarification.

No particular reason to have it moved... so long as there is coax cable (or it can be installed on Installation Day) where you want the router, you're good to go.

You're going to love FiOS.

geh
Premium Member
U.S.A.

geh

Premium Member

I'm pretty excited. I've heard mixed things on the wireless capability of the router they provide. Someone recommended I use my own personal router bridged for the WIFI portion.

Thoughts?

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by geh:

I'm pretty excited. I've heard mixed things on the wireless capability of the router they provide. Someone recommended I use my own personal router bridged for the WIFI portion.

Thoughts?

I have no problem with my ActionTec router (the one FiOS supplies.) If it is a Revision F or later, it will have wireless "N" capabilities.

Having said that, I am also using an Apple Airport Extreme router to extend wireless to the opposite side of the house. They work well together, and I "roam" between the two.

Before you spend anything, I'd say try the ActionTec. Can't hurt to try it before you go buy something else.

geh
Premium Member
U.S.A.

geh

Premium Member

said by dennismurphy:

Before you spend anything, I'd say try the ActionTec. Can't hurt to try it before you go buy something else.

Thank you, I definitely will.