Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hussle87
Premium
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

docsis 3.1 questions

I know the spec isn't finalized yet but I was wondering if when they rollout docsis 3.1 will they have to do some infrastructure chages other than change the CMTS?.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by hussle87:

I know the spec isn't finalized yet but I was wondering if when they rollout docsis 3.1 will they have to do some infrastructure chages other than change the CMTS?.

Probably 2015/16 or so.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to hussle87

While some older systems may need some upgrades for DOCSIS 3.1, the specification is being designed to work on most existing cable infrastructure.

Here are some articles with more details:

Cable ops reveal game plan for DOCSIS 3.1
With FTTH threat diminished, MSOs can wring more from HFC

By Jim Barthold, FierceIPTV - October 19, 2012
»www.fierceiptv.com/story/cable-o···12-10-19

Setting the Stage for Docsis 3.1
Light Reading Cable - November 16, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/video/240143193

Docsis 3.1 Stays on a Fast Track
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - March 19, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/docsis/docs···40151188

EDIT: Another good article:

Docsis 3.1 Targets 10-Gig Downstream
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - October 18, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/docsis/docs···40135193

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

Well at the very least I would imagine they'll do aplant sweep especially if they want to deploy bigger qams on the upstream.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to hussle87

Absolutely. Though I would imagine it would be done in stages; tightening up the existing infrastructure first where required, update the existing plant where they want to increase capacity (read: upstream) and the normal evolution of leveling the plant which also relates to capacity. There are also a lot of other secondary things that need to happen before you will ever come close to seeing the theoretical performance touted by DOCSIS 3.1. Then, there's that pesky fiber question...

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to hussle87

There may still be areas that are Docsis 2.0. Is it possible to jump from 2.0 to 3.1? What about the pesky customers who downright refuse to upgrade their equipment?

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mike Wolf:

What about the pesky customers who downright refuse to upgrade their equipment?

No biggie. I think that it is safe to assume when that time comes, Docsis 2.0 users will be faced with upgrading (if they own their modem) or having Comcast update their modems.

Comcast has shown no hesitation to advise Docsis 1.1 to do so when Docsis 3.0 rolled out.
--
Deeds, not words

Agent 86

@comcast.net
reply to hussle87

The cable plant remains the same, and DOCSIS 3.1 can coexist with previous versions. However, to fully realize the efficiency benefits of 3.1, all modems will have to be replaced, especially the 3.0 modems because they are the bandwidth hogs.

Don't be fooled by the ".1", it's the biggest change to DOCSIS ever.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

I think 3.0 was little more than 2.0 with bonding, and maybe a few new requirements like 1GHz tuners and IPv6 support. I don't think there were any new modulation schemes, which is maybe one reason it was rolled out quickly. 1.1 is being deprecated since it's upstream doesn't support 64QAM, and upstream is the bottleneck right now.

That said, I thought I'd heard some of the newer error correction and modulation schemes could play havoc with latency since they may require more buffering or maybe use some form of interleaving?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5
reply to telcodad

Another article on the new DOCSIS 3.1 specs on the LRC site today:

Making Room for Docsis 3.1
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - March 27, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/blog/docsis···40151838

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

yeah I read that they have to free up 24 mhz of space how are they gonna do that? get rid of more analogs?

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21

said by hussle87:

yeah I read that they have to free up 24 mhz of space how are they gonna do that? get rid of more analogs?

What analogs?

hussle87
Premium
Sykesville, MD
reply to hussle87

ones that aren't currently all digital.

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21

said by hussle87:

ones that aren't currently all digital.

I thought Comcast was pretty much done with analog channels nationwide.