spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Benji_Lag

join:2013-03-24

900Mhz Canopy Subscriber Module problems

I'm having problems with my current WISP and their is something strange about the 10.0.0.1 page (Page that I connect to to check the modules stats.)

Device Type : 900MHz - Subscriber Module - 0a-00-3e-93-2b-fd
Software Version : CANOPY 8.2 SM-DES
Software BOOT Version : CANOPYBOOT 1.0
Board Type : P10
FPGA Version : 060707
PLD Version : 9
Uptime : 14:20:27
System Time : 02:11:37 03/25/2013
Ethernet Interface : 100Base-TX Full Duplex
Antenna : External (Connectorized)
Subscriber Module Stats
Session Status : REGISTERED VC 31 Rate 2X/1X
Registered AP : 0a-00-3e-93-3a-d4
RSSI : 2095
Power Level : -58 dBm
Jitter : 8
Air Delay : 20 approximately 0.56 miles (2940 feet)
Site Information
Site Name : *-*** ******* ***
Site Contact : 450-451-**** 256 du Ruisseau
Site Location : Tour 2

--------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed that when I'm playing a game that displays my ping(ms),
the line -REGISTERED VC 31 Rate 2X/1X changes to REGISTERED VC 31 Rate 2X/2X, the ping in my game rises dramatically causing lots of issues for me. It keeps on changing between 1X and 2X, and between this time, the ping keeps itself high until it just sits back to 1X.

Now, what I'm wondering is if this 'instability has anything to do with my ping being affected? I usually get about 100-120ms with my game server in Santa Monica, from Canada and it jumps to 700-1000ms. Now I can't change any settings on this because the technicien would have to come and check to see what's the matter.

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

Jitter is too high. Check for localized interference. Ask the tech to lock the rate to 1X. If they are running firmware that old they probably haven't power balanced the tower.

In short, there is nothing you as a customer can do to correct this.

Benji_Lag

Well the jitter always fluctuates, it's usually at 1-2 when I'm the only one online. I'll see if they can lock the rate to 1X

Thank you wirelessdog

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to Benji_Lag

Jitter is interference. Has nothing to do with who is online.

Benji_Lag

Interference, do trees count as interference? Wind, terrain? To me it is, just not sure. Also, this line has changed to REGISTERED VC 42 Rate 2X/1X, note the it is now VC 42.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to Benji_Lag

The VC number refers to what SM number you are on the tower. You are going to have shit service if there are that many customers on the tower without perfect settings on the ISP's end of things.

Benji_Lag

I was told that the our tower emmiter has slightly too many people on one emmiter. If I'm not wrong, we have 4 emmiters on each tower, and ours is receiving 58 people on it, I assume that there is alot of congestion therefore slowing down speeds and increasing delay am I right? And they also told me that people in my area that are connected to the same emmiter are downloading monsters. They said they spent approximately 30 000$ on new equipment for their towers and will start improving things in April, which is soon. I wonder if that will have any effect. I've been to their office aswell and they bought new SMs, capable of supporting up to 50Mbps of traffic. Now I doubt that we'll get that because their lines probably don't support it.

Anyways, thanks for answering man!

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to Benji_Lag

Unless they are adding AP's to the tower there will be no difference.

Understand, a Canopy 900AP will only do 4megs aggregate. That is 4 megs upload+download total split between 58 users. I think you see the issue.

If they don't properly have users throttled, control slots set, appropriate bridge filters set its going to be ugly.

There are WISP's that claim around 70 customers per 900AP without complaint that that is with perfect settings.

Plus every customer in 1x mode instead of 2x doubles the burden on the access point. So figure, every one in 1x is the equiv of having two customers on the tower because the AP has to work twice as hard.

There are many experts on this forum. If the owners of your WISP would post here on this forum there is much free yet invaluable help they would receive.

Benji_Lag

They don't throttle users to what I'm told, it would probably take them time and money to buy and install a software to set all of the throttling. I believe that the owners manually change things according to who calls and reports problems. We are also 800 members on their 2 towers and to what I know, many users have problems, others have it fast and working all the time. I have a couple friends MUCH closer to the tower and have zero interference with their main tower. Adding more APs means adding more in our case, Internet Fiber lines connected to the towers. Anyways, our neighbor received a planflet for a new Internet Service arriving in about 2 months. Now I'm probably just going to switch because of the probably more reliable service because the lines will be Fiber to our Neighboorhood from Bell. We've been with our current ISP for 6 years and I must say I give them credit for starting their service in 2006. I'll try to talk to them in possibly checking out this forum. Lots of great informative people such as yourself.

Thanks again.