uniqs

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to aurgathor

MVM

to aurgathor

Re: [poll] Which windows 8 start menu replacement do you use?

said by aurgathor:

Wow! Almost 1/3 of the users are actually happy with the Win8 UI!

Wonder how many of those had extensive experience with other, touch screen oriented devices and OSs before Win8.

In my case I run iOS on an iPhone and iPad. For some time I've had an ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 PC tablet that came with Windows 7 Home Premium but I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro. I've also had an HP Touchsmart PC for a while although I never really used its touch feature much and don't currently use the system at all.

Touch isn't really a big deal to me though.

My desktop systems use standard non-touch monitors. I have two 27" monitors at 2560x1440 on different systems (one uses a KVM). I also have one system that has a triple 27" monitor setup at 5760x1080. IMO the user experience of Windows 8 with or without touch is basically the same.

I wouldn't say I love the Windows 8 UI but it wasn't difficult to become accustomed to it. Since I use more then one OS (OS X, Android, WebOS,.....) I think that might make me a bit more flexible then some others,....

Windows was my first OS though and was the only OS for a very, very, very long time,....

I don't see Windows as some sacred cow though,....

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I've used most everything under the Sun (both figuratively and literally ) and Windows came in kinda late since I never really started to use it until 1996. Had lots of experience with DOS, VMS, Unix and Solaris, although lately (last 10 years or so) it's mostly Windows or WinCE.

To stay on topic, while other utilities may be better, Classic Shell is hard to beat, especially on price.