spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mfriend765
join:2012-07-15
Lafayette, IN

mfriend765

[Connectivity] Comcast SMC + Netgear R6200 router setup help

Hi, I recently upgraded to Comcast's Business service, due to the excessive data usage and their offer of unlimited data usage. I have the SMC gateway, i.e. the modem/router thing. Mine doesn't include wireless, so after reading a lot of reviews, I chose the Netgear R6200. I needed a pretty good wireless network at home, considering with all the people here. My main computer (Windows 7 X64 with SP1) is wired to the Netgear via CAT6 cable. I also have my PS3 (PlayStation 3) connected to the Netgear also connected via Ethernet cable. There is also 2 iPad's (1 first generation the other 4th generation), 1 wireless laptop, and 3 smartphones (2 iPhone 5's and 1 iPhone 4).

After doing some reading up to some issues with wi-fi settings setup on the Apple support forums, and something about DHCP and something called "double Nat'ing", I am getting a bit confused. I want to make sure I have the Netgear connected correctly to the SMC gateway, and the best and easiest way to have the settings done, so I don't have to track down and get the IP address's used by all of the wireless devices being used. I'd appreciate some assistance in kind of a easy to follow step by step way to have the router, gateway, wired, and wireless setup, settings, and such done right, so hopefully my network would be the best I can set it up. Thanks for suggestions, advice and help anyone is willing to offer.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb

I have the same thing going on, except in a small business. Have a WNDR3400 router plugged into the SMCD3G they gave us. Have the routers IP address set for DMZ in the SMC.
Didn't really have to do anything besides that, I thought there'd be alot of trouble having a router behind a router like that but
It's actually been extremely reliable (knock on wood).

There is a security camera, thermostat and wireless printer on the WiFi 24/7 and more devices during the day.

I'm not sure if you can have them put the SMC in bridge mode, I thought I've heard in the past that you cant. But that would be the way to go if you can get it done.
mario02423
join:2004-06-09
Berwyn, IL

mario02423 to mfriend765

to mfriend765
said by mfriend765:

suggestions, advice and help

Call the Business Class support number and request that your SMC be put into bridge mode. This will pass all internet traffic through to the R6200, and you can manage the R6200 like you would a residential router. Things will be much easier for you this way.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mario02423:

said by mfriend765:

suggestions, advice and help

Call the Business Class support number and request that your SMC be put into bridge mode. This will pass all internet traffic through to the R6200, and you can manage the R6200 like you would a residential router. Things will be much easier for you this way.

If the OP does that, (s)he better be prepared for Comcast CSRs to randomly do a reset on it and take it out of bridge mode...and then having to call back multiple times (wasting many hours) to get it put back into bridge mode. This is the voice of experience talking.

If the OP has cascaded NAT problems using the SMCD3G-CCR with the R6200 in the SMC's pseudo DMZ, the best bet would be to purchase a Motorola SB612x and use that as the modem for the business class connection.

The SB612x is officially supported as a business class modem, and if it is a new modem (not a used modem from Craigslist or eBay), there should be no problem just plugging it in and activating it through the walled garden activation web site.

Two added advantages of using an SB612x on a business class connection are that (if your CMTS supports IPv6) you can get Comcast's dual stack IPv4/IPv6 (not currently possible with the SMC gateway in router mode), and you will have up to 5 public IP addresses available (which is handy for setting up VoIP, guest WiFi, etc for Internet access (but otherwise totally isolated from your LAN).
tjsummers51l
join:2010-01-22

tjsummers51l

Quick note: Business customers can not provision through the walled garden page. If you need a purchased modem added to the account, you will need to call tech support.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by tjsummers51l:

Quick note: Business customers can not provision through the walled garden page. If you need a purchased modem added to the account, you will need to call tech support.

Sorry, but another been there done that is in order here.

I am a business class customer, and I have successfully activated two purchased modems through the walled garden site (one of which is not even an approved business class modem). I am in fact accessing the Internet using my business class connection to make this post through the purchased SB6121 that I activated using the walled garden site.