uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium
join:2002-04-08
CT

LED Light Bulb Recall

Apparently they can over heat and cause a fire hazard.

»www.lsgc.com/recall/

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I have 3 LED bulbs from OSRAM Sylvania that are of the effected model but with slightly older date codes (L3410CH and L3510CH) which translates to the end of August 2010 (recall period starts October 2010). Of course I'm wondering now how safe those bulbs are.

I find particularly disappointing that there is no recall information at the official OSRAM Sylvania website (www.sylvania.com). Whatever happened to this company which used to be a manufacturer of top quality lighting products ?
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
said by leibold:

Of course I'm wondering now how safe those bulbs are.

You may try giving them a call. It's not unheard of in a situation like this for a company to make a "good will" replacement on a case-by-case basis.

I find particularly disappointing that there is no recall information at the official OSRAM Sylvania website (www.sylvania.com). Whatever happened to this company which used to be a manufacturer of top quality lighting products ?

Probably because Sylvania doesn't manufacture it (still not a valid excuse..). They were acquired by Siemens AG in the mid-1990s if I recall correctly.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to Nightwing
There is a *little* more info about the mode of failure on the CPSC website...

»www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/LED···e-Group/

I've got eight of the PAR 20 lamps with the L1011CH date code. If time permits, I may try calling the number listed at the link originally posted to see what they say. Probably gonna say "Sucks to be you" but who knows; they may replace them or at least offer a discount on replacements.

At any rate, thanks for the heads-up since four of my PAR 20s see heavy, unattended use.
--
Zach

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to Nightwing
quote:
were marketed under the brand names Definity, EcoSmart, Sylvania and Westinghouse

Goes to show that you really can't depend on brand name these days. You never know what you're actually getting.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Nightwing
Thank you for that link! I have 2 of those A19..well, had one, but it died. Rather replaced it with Phillips...
--
Splat

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
reply to TheMG
Typical... manufactured by ChineseCheapShitElectronics, marketed (and priced) as AmericanGoodness...

Sigh
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

join:2013-03-04
North Reading, MA
reply to Zach1
said by Zach1:

There is a *little* more info about the mode of failure on the CPSC website...

»www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/LED···e-Group/

I've got eight of the PAR 20 lamps with the L1011CH date code. If time permits, I may try calling the number listed at the link originally posted to see what they say. Probably gonna say "Sucks to be you" but who knows; they may replace them or at least offer a discount on replacements.

At any rate, thanks for the heads-up since four of my PAR 20s see heavy, unattended use.

They will send out replacements at no charge then you put the old bulbs in the packaging from the new bulbs and return them with the enclosed return labels.
--
"Everyone has his day and some days last longer than others." - Winston Churchill

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
said by 35245635:

They will send out replacements at no charge then you put the old bulbs in the packaging from the new bulbs and return them with the enclosed return labels.

He's outside the date range. I have the same problem in the other direction - I have some of the HD EcoSmart ones. They're L3310's.

I wish we knew more about why only a certain range was affected. If it's anything like my GE refrigerator, we have reason to be worried. GE "recalled" control boards with bad capacitors from a range of dates. My fridge was before that date, but the control board still failed exactly the same way.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
said by djrobx:

He's outside the date range.

Actually L1011 (and L1111 too) are still within the recall date range.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!
Expand your moderator at work

ame101

join:2002-05-02
Southington, CT
reply to Nightwing

Re: LED Light Bulb Recall

Got my replacements just now via UPS.
Expand your moderator at work