Re: [HD] FIOS Moving to MPEG-4 HD

Came across this. »www.homeboxoffice.com/to ··· 0916.pdf
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

You DID see this at the bottom???

as of 9/16/2008

All this is, is when they started broadcasting the multiplex feeds in HD; those extra HD feeds have been in MPEG4 since day one. (that's why they stated at the end, that (ONLY) the primary E/W feeds would continue to be in MPEG2 HD as well... )

CableFreak
join:2004-10-13
Morehead, KY

CableFreak to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Has nothing to do with FIOS offering MPEG4 to its customers. Just saves companies the trouble of transcoding MPEG2 to MPEG4.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to dishrich

to dishrich
aw that's too bad, was hoping everything was MPEG4 in 2013.
Wish they would hurry up already.
I think having a channel fully MPEG4 would be worth the subscription alone.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to CableFreak

Premium Member

to CableFreak
Other way around? Are they going to be able to pass MPEG-4 directly on, or is it going to be a way higher bitrate?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

Other way around? Are they going to be able to pass MPEG-4 directly on, or is it going to be a way higher bitrate?

HBO also set standards for minimum bitrates it will allow MSOs to rate shape their feeds down to, but they only insisted on such limits for MSOs using their MPEG4 feeds.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Still no new HD Channels in Latest Bill

Well, in my latest bill that was generated Sunday, still nothing regarding any type of channel adds (so that pushes us through May).

With FIOS about to launch 25+ HD channels shortly, Comcast is really going to have to answer the bell.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

2 edits

dishrich to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

aw that's too bad, was hoping everything was MPEG4 in 2013.
Wish they would hurry up already.

Huh??? did you actually read that link, that YOU posted?
ALL HBO/MAX HD feeds ARE in MPEG4 already, & have been since this 2008 posting!
But they ALSO have kept (duplicate) E/W primary feeds of HBO & MAX (4 channels total) in MPEG2 HD as well.
And of course they still have all of the SD feeds of these channels in MPEG2; there's no point in changing those to MPEG4 at this point...

I think having a channel fully MPEG4 would be worth the subscription alone.

Why??? Until CC actually starts to offer HD channels (only) in MPEG4, they will have to keep transcoding them down to MPEG2.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt

Re: Still no new HD Channels in Latest Bill

Comcast has to answer what bell? What 25 channels is FIOS adding, even? I can't think of anything Comcast is missing at this point that's worth watching.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
I was quickly checking the fios forums. What are the 25 new HD channels... didn't seem like there were 25 with concrete evidence of what on the way?

DirecTV has normally been behind the curve on HD channels since Cable operators did SDV or Analog reclamation... but on April 1st, OWN HD, Bloomburg HD and Fox Sports San Diego HD are on the way.

Eventually maybe all the operators will finally catch up with BrightHouse Networks in Tampa or TWC NYC?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to mariod

Premium Member

to mariod
said by mariod:

Comcast has to answer what bell? What 25 channels is FIOS adding, even? I can't think of anything Comcast is missing at this point that's worth watching.

That's your opinion, but there are 50-60 HD channels live right now that Comcast does not offer.

Cypher - shhhhhhh.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

said by mariod:

That's your opinion, but there are 50-60 HD channels live right now that Comcast does not offer.

Cypher - shhhhhhh.

At this point, since Comcast seems to have so many open QAMs in many areas, I'd think the missing channels are due to lack of demand and/or broadcaster pricing not bandwidth.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

At this point, since Comcast seems to have so many open QAMs in many areas, I'd think the missing channels are due to lack of demand and/or broadcaster pricing not bandwidth.

Doesn't seem like it, considering in the cases of the removed premiums that they did in the last year or so, what's missing in HD they carry in SD. Comcast likes to insist that anything you'd want from the premiums is OnDemand so to them it's okay that they killed the linear versions. It really seems like a way to force users into trying OnDemand. I mean OnDemand is so under utilized they're having a giant promotional "Watchathon" this week that opens up most of their VOD library because people aren't using it in the numbers Comcast would like.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by DocDrew:

Doesn't seem like it, considering in the cases of the removed premiums that they did in the last year or so, what's missing in HD they carry in SD. Comcast likes to insist that anything you'd want from the premiums is OnDemand so to them it's okay that they killed the linear versions. It really seems like a way to force users into trying OnDemand. I mean OnDemand is so under utilized they're having a giant promotional "Watchathon" this week that opens up most of their VOD library because people aren't using it in the numbers Comcast would like.

400 million on demand views a month, seems like someone is using it...

»www.multichannel.com/cab ··· 2/142082
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by The Q:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by DocDrew:

400 million on demand views a month, seems like someone is using it...

»www.multichannel.com/cab ··· 2/142082

And yet Comcast still isn't happy...
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA to SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

to SpHeRe31459
I'm almost wondering if they don't want the difference between an 860mhz and a 650mhz system to be too big... or if they think they will need more bandwidth for XoD or HSI. Or they're just clueless?
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

I'm almost wondering if they don't want the difference between an 860mhz and a 650mhz system to be too big...

That's actually a pretty plausible explanation, they want everything to seem uniform no matter the system.

On that note... whatever happened to unifying the channel line ups across markets? They were going to move the HD channels into the 1000's and make them match their SD channel number for the last three digits.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to dishrich

to dishrich

said by dishrich:

Huh??? did you actually read that link, that YOU posted?
ALL HBO/MAX HD feeds ARE in MPEG4 already, & have been since this 2008 posting!
But they ALSO have kept (duplicate) E/W primary feeds of HBO & MAX (4 channels total) in MPEG2 HD as well.
And of course they still have all of the SD feeds of these channels in MPEG2; there's no point in changing those to MPEG4 at this point...

No, I only posted it in case someone was interested.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to BiggA

MVM

to BiggA

Re: Still no new HD Channels in Latest Bill

said by DocDrew:

said by BiggA:

I'm almost wondering if they don't want the difference between an 860mhz and a 650mhz system to be too big... or if they think they will need more bandwidth for XoD or HSI. Or they're just clueless?

Maybe this article on the Light Reading Cable site today provides an explanation. It says that the MSOs will need to reserve at least 24MHz of bandwidth for DOCSIS 3.1 HSI's initial rollout phase.

Making Room for Docsis 3.1
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - March 27, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/blo ··· 40151838
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

to SpHeRe31459
They have moved them all in CT to the 1000's. They have similar lineups, but on my 650mhz system, we have 70 HD's, whereas my parents, on an 860mhz system have 110 HD's. I don't think they want to make the delta any bigger until they upgrade everyone to 860mhz, which seems to be taking them FOREVER.
BiggA

BiggA to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
They are already running 48mhz at least. My modem is locked onto 8 channels.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

D3.1 uses OFDM so 24 MHz in addition to what they have now for D3.0/2.

But that seems a ways off. They must be holding back for other reasons.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

They could get some modems out there while running D3 and then cut some of those channels over. I think that a great way to keep people moving on cable modem technology is to put like a 50GB/mo cap on modems that aren't up to date, and then allow unlimited for those that are.