Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212

Re: Rules are off target

I had one of the original game boys. Nintendo did not add Internet connectivity until the DS line. I just bought a 3DS and I downloaded some games that I have not played since I was hospitalized in 1998.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

The original game boys came out in 1989. Rock solid, dot matrix toys. Mine still works albeit not the greatest, but functions. I dare you find any toy made today lasting that long!

Cheap crap made to break.

Per the FAA relaxing rules, please by god don't allow cell phone use in the planes. We all now from Mythbusters that phones DO NOT interfere with guidance systems. However, I DO NOT want to listen to some loud mouth yapping away on a few hour flight. It's bad enough in public.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20

Premium Member

Good luck actually making a call at 30k+ feet in the air. It just won't happen. Unless the airline deliberately puts picocells in the aircraft to accomplish it. Just for shits and giggles, try turning off airplane mode inflight and see what happens to your signal. 1 bar or less and constantly going in and out of service. Have tried myself. Sometimes don't even get a time update from the cell towers when traversing time zones.

ka9q
@ka9q.net

ka9q to jc10098

Anon

to jc10098
Why, oh why, can't we work out stuff like this like the adults we supposedly are? Why do we have to have the government pass laws against things that are merely annoying?

The only valid reasons to prohibit cell phone usage on airplanes are a) safety and b) network interference. if neither of those issues are actual problems, then the FCC and FAA should have nothing to say about it. Simple personal courtesy can resolve any problems of being bothered by other people's conversations.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to Vchat20

Premium Member

to Vchat20
said by Vchat20:

Good luck actually making a call at 30k+ feet in the air. It just won't happen. Unless the airline deliberately puts picocells in the aircraft to accomplish it. Just for shits and giggles, try turning off airplane mode inflight and see what happens to your signal. 1 bar or less and constantly going in and out of service.

Near future may change that
As the airlines roll out inflight internet access, they could potentially add micro cells - cellular to net devices - if FAA would allow it