spc
uniqs
bbhog
join:2010-07-05
North York, ON

bbhog to mario9999998

to mario9999998

Re: affordable router to handle 150/10?

mario... perhaps you should stop hijacking these threads to tell people about your amazing solution of turning old computers into routers!
Optional said he wants to find affordable router. Not spend his weekends trying to turn a home made computer into a router.

Even the most technical of people are not interested in doing this... personally there is no way in hell I'm going to spend my time doing that. I just want to spend the least amount of money I need to on "Commercially available" devices so I can push 150Mbps both wired and wirelessly to my my devices.
mario9999998
join:2000-08-25
Canada

4 edits

mario9999998

lol if you don't like what I post then just ignore it.

A m0n0wall/pfsense solution is free if the op has an old computer, and can handle a 150/10 connection with no problem (even with traffic shaping and other extra features enabled). Worst case gigabit ethernet cards are cheap.

And they're really easy to setup... if it takes you more than an hour to setup, let alone a weekend then you probably think too highly of your computer usage skills.

PS. other suggested software routers too, not just me
said by mlord:

said by mario9999998:

Netbooks generally have built in gigabit ethernet

Really? Of the three I have used, including my current N210, none have/had GigE built-in.

My mistake, I just assumed they all have them. Either way, used/old laptop or old desktop. Desktop is cheaper (or more commonly available free) and easier to add gigabit. I ended up getting a cheapie laptop with a broken screen for free and it works fine and am using it. I mean these will use more power than a router, but if you can get it for free (or already have an old unused) that offsets the cost of power savings.

Also, not sure about these new routers, but I had a RT-N16 and used tomato, and using QOS would make CPU usage hit 100% all the time on my 28mbit cable connection.

So an important question is if QOS is a required feature that's enabled (ie. like for gaming and voip users).