how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Locked out of Actiontech can not use Own ROuter

I have been using my own stand a lone router with the Action Tech from telus for a while now. Things went wrong had to go in and check some settings on the actiontech and foun the root and tech accounts have had their pwds changed. I know we are not to share info regarding the pwds here but what are users to supposed to do when they want to use their own hardware? Are we supposed to try to bruteforce the login to find the password to be able to use our own hardware?

South_of_22

join:2009-03-23

Wish I knew it.

Just noticed I was locked out as well. Looks like there was a very sneaky update with no firmware # change to lock us out.

There was a member here that said you could find out by dumping the tsop? and reading the file in a hex viewer.

If that member is still active, I wish I remembered who they were so I could ask them how to read the tsop on the actiontec.

Grrr..... All in one modem/routers suck

SuperBORG

join:2004-04-07
reply to DanteX

Wow... glad I disabled the auto update... That is very shady indeed. I recall the last tech call the dude wants me to reset my modem. I was like I aint updating the new firmware.

DanteX

reply to DanteX

It is totally Unacceptable for telus to prevent people from using their own hardware.

Does telus really want people to resort to bruteforcing?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to SuperBORG

So they rolled out a "fix" to V57 firmware?

There was an XSS vulnerability in V57 and below that would permit remote sites from changing configuration values - which could either brick your modem, or use to direct your computer to malware sites.

Glad to see it's been "fixed"! (As in, they changed the passwords .. until someone /discovers/ them again.)
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Tornado15550

join:2012-12-16
Canada
reply to DanteX

The normal admin account seems to work. But who knows if I actually got the update or not, since its still a 57 firmware.

DanteX

I heard if you factory reset your modem the current passwords we know about will work going to give it a try later.

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

So if you were already bridged, I don't get how you are locked out of using your own hardware. You can still check the line stats with the regular admin account while bridged. You can also power cycle the modem without losing bridge mode.

There is also a way to bridge using the regular admin login.

hrrm

@videotron.ca

said by ruiner:

You can also power cycle the modem without losing bridge mode.

"resetting" the modem and power cycling are two different things.

Tornado15550

Canada
reply to DanteX

I know this is unrelated, but I was too lazy to create a new post.

How do you force update an Actiontec V1000H?
I have a friend who is still on the 31.30L.55 firmware.

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to DanteX

I noticed they changed the tech password last week. This is starting to get really annoying. I know why Telus doesn't offer a bridging option - because they want to cut down on support costs, however, I'd pay for it so it seems like they're losing a business opportunity.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
reply to DanteX

said by DanteX:

It is totally Unacceptable for telus to prevent people from using their own hardware.

Does telus really want people to resort to bruteforcing?

Let get the fact straight. It not because the modem is sitting in your house that you own it. You do not own the Actiontech. It was loan to you for free.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

DanteX

I was out of line and I apologize. I just come from a generation where we sign up for service with an ISP and all you get was a modem and you were free to use your own hardware for routing.

Symtex

Burnaby, BC

said by DanteX:

I was out of line and I apologize. I just come from a generation where we sign up for service with an ISP and all you get was a modem and you were free to use your own hardware for routing.

That doesn't mean I don't agree with you. I would prefer the same thing but as far as the modem portion of the Actiontech is actually really good. It the router/wireless antenna that is less.

Since I got Loop bonding at home. I was forced to use an Actiontech V2000. I disabled the antenna and use my own wireless access point. I don't run any webservices or any internal server so the cripple router part doesn't bother as much
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

DanteX

Oh the modem works perfectly its the performance of the router and wireless that grinds my gears.

How does the V2000 differ compared to the V1000h

Symtex

Burnaby, BC

said by DanteX:

Oh the modem works perfectly its the performance of the router and wireless that grinds my gears.

How does the V2000 differ compared to the V1000h

It the same cripple interface. The only difference is for the loop bonding part.
--

hrrm

@videotron.ca
reply to DanteX

said by DanteX:

I was out of line and I apologize.

Shame on you for thinking you could use what you pay for. Shame, shame, shame.

BTW, if you can't use your own modem so that you can bridge it for your router (or access your modems full capabilities), you can always switch to a wholesaler and then buy your own modem w/o any locked out firmware over in Telus land.

Matter of fact, there is a CRTC proceeding going on now in regards to locked out firmware and modems. You should acquaint yourself with it and submit a comment to the CRTC on what you guys/girls just experienced with Telus.

See:
»CRTC 2013-80 Optional Upstream Speeds, DSL Modem Cert

Although it is geared towards wholesale, I think it is in your best interest as paying consumers (cherished customers?) to bring this factoid up. After-all, Telus will be mouthing off about how great they are in that filing as well.

Do or don't. I would. Nothing lost and maybe some consumer rights to gain at the end of it. Be it if one day you switch to wholesale or stay with them. At least you are fighting back in some way.

Tornado15550

Canada

'What you pay for'?
Like Symtex said, the Actiontec was a loan to you. You got a free modem RENTAL. It still belongs to Telus. If you actually bought the modem from a 3rd party, then go ahead and mod it/ bridge it/ do whatever you want with it.

South_of_22

I payed Telus $120 for mine (did not want to pay $5 per month modem rental fee at the time when I first got it, so I opted to pay for the modem.) So I own the v1000h that's sitting in my utility room.

I'm locked out as well. Think I could get a refund since I cannot access the root settings on my device?

said by Tornado15550:

'What you pay for'?
Like Symtex said, the Actiontec was a loan to you. You got a free modem RENTAL. It still belongs to Telus. If you actually bought the modem from a 3rd party, then go ahead and mod it/ bridge it/ do whatever you want with it.

DanteX

ZING!!

ruiner

Canada
reply to Symtex

said by Symtex:

I don't run any webservices or any internal server so the cripple router part doesn't bother as much

UPnP has vulnerabilities found from time to time, and has a habit of crashing and not working on the Actiontec.

DHCP reservations are broken. If you use static addresses on your equipment which can be a huge pain, especially on something like the PS3, the Actiontec can have issues with port forwarding.

There are plenty of reasons to need ports open that aren't a web server: games, skype, remote debugging, etc.

Not to mention that there is no access to the QoS settings on the Actiontec either. If you want to use any realtime service while something else is downloading, including a family member browsing, without lag spikes then yes QoS is necessary. And very easy to setup on a decent 3rd party router.

said by hrrm :

"resetting" the modem and power cycling are two different things.

Yes, that was my point. Why would you reset to defaults after you realize that you won't be able to turn on bridge mode again?

Tornado15550

Canada
reply to South_of_22

Well, if you purchased it, and own it, then I see no point why you shouldn't get root access. Telus should 'unlock' purchased modems then, just one update can unlock all the root features, since you own the device.

ynohtna
Need... Speed

join:2005-02-02
Burnaby, BC
reply to DanteX

interesting... I still have a spare brand new 1000H i bought off a guy for $50 or something. It's on 31.30L.48

Been meaning to put on that custom firmware so I can use it as bridge mode but been too busy (lazy) to do it.

He said he owned it but it's marked as rental on the box . Wonder how that affects his service cancellation if any

--
Telus ADSL User Since 1999

South_of_22

4 edits
reply to Tornado15550

If only they would.

I tried calling and as well using online help to get them to do such a thing to unlock the modem. But all I got as a response was........ 'Umm, what?'.

Long story short, it's either use an all in one modem or have no service (unless you're lucky and can get cable internet), as there seems to be no optional VDSL modem from Telus (as most of us are already aware of) that will do what most of us want it to do .

Unless there is a VDSL modem that we can buy that will work with Telus HS25/HS50, then please, someone give a working example so we can migrate to that one.

----> The ZyXel VSG 1432. If a person where to buy that one with stock ZyXel firmware, will it work with Telus without Telus firmware and will it do what we want it to do?

»www.ashlin.ca/p/Wireless_Routers···6033.htm

said by Tornado15550:

Well, if you purchased it, and own it, then I see no point why you shouldn't get root access. Telus should 'unlock' purchased modems then, just one update can unlock all the root features, since you own the device.

Expand your moderator at work

ruiner

Canada
reply to South_of_22

Re: Locked out of Actiontech can not use Own ROuter

»www.frontierpc.com/wireless-netw···033.html

That's the modem Teksavvy uses to connect to the Telus DSLAMs so I would imagine it works with Telus.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to South_of_22

said by South_of_22:

----> The ZyXel VSG 1432. If a person where to buy that one with stock ZyXel firmware, will it work with Telus without Telus firmware and will it do what we want it to do?

I have it and its pretty good. I am using it on a 6Mbps ADSL plan.

»www.zyxel.com/products_services/···html?t=p

Only two ddns providers(pay) hardcoded in it.
Won't allow for certain symbles in the WPA2 encryption.
Have to broadcast the SSID for my smart phone to see it.
Its got quality of service and ability to route IGMP traffic.
Has a main WiFi profile and a couple of 'guest' WiFi profiles.
Can reduce wireless transmission power by 20% increments.
I had to create the ADSL profile as it comes with a default VDSL2 profile only.
I have not tried bridge mode yet.
Heck knows if Zyxel will be putting out any new firmware updates other than the one from when it was born.

In the Teksavvy forum they have some all-in-ones mentioned in various posts that could be compatible with Telus, but basically the 'official' Teksavvy all-in-one unit comply with what Telus tells them, but have from the factory firmware. (speedtouch516 and the Zyxel vsg1432).
There is also some CRTC ruling about modems and companies like Teksavvy getting more different units officially authorized.

On the Bell network there are issues with what the chipset is in the remote/dslam/stinger/co , to what the chipset in the modem you can use that will be stable at higher speeds/traffic.

If you can find the factory firmware for the Actiontec, you could reflash it.

South_of_22

1 edit

said by humanfilth:

Once I gain access, I will..
Just a matter of gaining access back into the firmware update page.

said by humanfilth:

Thanks for the input.
To get that one, I am looking at $141.72 shipped.

South_of_22

reply to humanfilth

double post...

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

3 edits
reply to South_of_22

said by South_of_22:

said by humanfilth:

Once I gain access, I will..
Just a matter of gaining access back into the firmware update page.

said by humanfilth:

Thanks for the input.
To get that one, I am looking at $141.72 shipped.

Check in the Teksavvy forum for some hints at other units. They now have the 50/10 plans for Telus too. [edit: (still rolling out new plans)]

Zyxel bonded line gateway: »www2.zyxel.com/us/en/products_se···html?t=p

Bridgemode a Zyxel gateway(as per Teksavvy): »Zyxel VSG1432-B101 Modem