pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

[Speed] Anyone heard anything official on the fate of powerboost

I'm really curious what Comcast's plans are for powerboost. When karl4 See Profile reported the speed increase plans a while back, it was mentioned that powerboost would be going away. We've seen some of the letters that no longer mention powerboost, as well as some of the wording on tiers not mentioning it anymore.

But we're seeing a completely erratic deployment if they truly are eliminating it. So far I've seen a slew of different configurations:

- residential uncapped PB up and down
- residential capped PB up and down
- residential no PB up and down (have we seen this for anything lower than the 50 tier?)
- residential capped PB down, no PB up
- business uncapped PB up and down
- business capped PB up and down
- business capped PB down, no PB up

Has anyone heard anything official from Comcast? You'd think it would be more cost effective, less confusing (to both their customers and tier 1 support teams) if they standardized things, but it seems to be entirely willy nilly.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

jagged

join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

Re: [Speed] Anyone heard anything official on the fate of powerb

after the current upgrades are done, Powerboost is dead

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by jagged:

But we're seeing people that get bumped to 25/4 still see powerboost. Why leave it there when upgrading people's speeds and have to do 2x the work? I'm not sure I understand their logic there.

There was also a rumor that they are eliminating PB only for tiers with 50 down or higher.
--

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA
I went to 50/10 and have powerboost... download PB only, no upload PB

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by neufuse:

I went to 50/10 and have powerboost... download PB only, no upload PB

Yeah I've seen that particular case quite a bit.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to jagged
said by jagged:

Got docs ?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to pflog
it is possible they are not promoting PB any longer. It is no longer a special novelty.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by Kearnstd:

it is possible they are not promoting PB any longer. It is no longer a special novelty.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. They're not promoting it anymore because it's not uncapped anymore. TBH, the extra 7 Mbps I get on business class from 27 to 34 is rather pointless.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

3 edits

I love the incredibly crazy PBs I'm getting on performance 20/4 lol. Can't really tell on downloads but on sites like Youtube where it constantly likes to cause PB to happen it's interesting watching it keep instantly buffer a large amount and then it drops off and it's slow again :P. Too bad this crazy PB didn't last more than a second after it instantly cancels itself out by the speed lol. It usually bursts up to 100+ really quick then drops off to around 25 Mbps then finally goes to 22 before(on sites like Youtube) PBing again.

The days before the big 70 Mbps burst day were when I was still on 16/2 + 25/4 PB.

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 83.212.4.36.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4488 Kbps.
Downstream: greater than 200 Mbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 4405 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 2538-3011 KB;
Shaping rate: 22288 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to pflog
Nothing official, but remembering that PB was always "if bandwidth is available" contingent.
So with the huge speed bump of the upgrade it may be that, at least in some areas, they were worried that bandwidth MIGHT be in short supply and so provisioned first at the flat rate, and then add PB as they see fit.
In previous upgrades, I often saw my speeds provisioned very high and then had them slowly tuned down to the PB and shaped rates over a few days or weeks.
Make sure most hit the advertised speed and then bumping it up seems like a more judicious path.
But even if it's gone, pretty hard for a blast user (for example) to complain about "losing " with the throughput doubling, to well above the brief burst speed.
I agree that a standard speed policy would make sense, but national ISP's (cable in particular) are really a conglomeration of smaller local systems with a certain amount of "this is how we've always done it here" leftover from the old days.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to neufuse
Proof?

Everything we have seen has said no PB. Would be interesting though.

AnonMan

@comcast.net
PowerBoost is ONLY going away for the Blast! speed.

Extreme never had it and this is why Blast! is loosing it because it got moved to what use to be Extreme 50.

Your proof is on the Comcast.com site... go look at the plans. Everything says with powerboost until you get to Blast 50.
A few markets still mention in details but not main listing due to site upgrade laziness.

Everyone on Blast! who has powerboost still is because the engineer that worked on the upgrades for your area didn't properly do they job and remove it. It will at some point get removed in the future but at this time no one is going to backtrack to remove it.

The same for business accounts. Most of them get it, a few don't. Technically a business doesn't get it but for simplicity when the area is configured sometimes some get lazy and copy one config and just make the minor changes without removing the other parts...

Furthermore watch your bills. Some plans will say includes powerboost. Some won't... This wont be accurate initially as blast will still say it until the billing updates are caught up...

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
That all makes sense.

So, how do I get Comcast to remove powerboost from my 27/7 business class service? I would much rather have sustained 27 with proper shaping than a piddly extra 7Mbps with broken shaping after PB ends.
--

AnonMan

@comcast.net
Getting them to remove it will be hit or miss.

You can try the direct forum and see if you can get them to forward to an engineer.

One reason they originally didn't want it on business lines because some systems, services and things are more sensitive to big bandwidth changes and like consistency. This isn't as big of a deal today as say 3 years ago but for some may still be.

If you get PB on business and after it ends get under the rate you pay they will likely fix it after complaint or corporate escalation if not. If you just want them to remove it but because you don't want it they likely will be more lazy. If you want them to remove it because it bounces all over heck this follows the first one, complain as this can impact services and if no response escalate.

Comcast has a LOT of lazy people but they also have some great people. Sometimes you just got to fight a little to get to the good ones.

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Nothing official, but remembering that PB was always "if bandwidth is available" contingent.

I wonder if that is why those of us in crowded areas have seen it go away for performance after the speed increase was implemented. Because to make the boost worthwhile for the new performance speeds the old cap of 25 would need to be increased to around 30, and that would eat too much bandwidth with so many users on the performance tier?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to AnonMan
said by AnonMan :

Getting them to remove it will be hit or miss.

You can try the direct forum and see if you can get them to forward to an engineer.

One reason they originally didn't want it on business lines because some systems, services and things are more sensitive to big bandwidth changes and like consistency. This isn't as big of a deal today as say 3 years ago but for some may still be.

If you get PB on business and after it ends get under the rate you pay they will likely fix it after complaint or corporate escalation if not. If you just want them to remove it but because you don't want it they likely will be more lazy. If you want them to remove it because it bounces all over heck this follows the first one, complain as this can impact services and if no response escalate.

Comcast has a LOT of lazy people but they also have some great people. Sometimes you just got to fight a little to get to the good ones.

I've tried complaining to a number of Comcast people about it and they can't or won't remove it. These are very intelligent, good employees, not lazy. So I am assuming they aren't doing it for a reason. I'll try the direct forum, though, thanks.

Yes, the speeds are bouncing all over the place after PB (though do average out to 27 Mbps) and it's a problem for persistent sockets and I can definitely notice it when working remotely over VPN+VNC.
--

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by pflog:

I've tried complaining to a number of Comcast people about it and they can't or won't remove it. These are very intelligent, good employees, not lazy. So I am assuming they aren't doing it for a reason. I'll try the direct forum, though, thanks.

Keep us updated if you get positive results from using Comcast Direct. Since the business class sales site does not explicitly mention PowerBoost for the two lowest speed tiers anymore (although I am pretty sure that it did advertise PowerBoost at one time for the two lower speed tiers), perhaps AnonMan is correct that PowerBoost is not supposed to be used for business class accounts.

As much as I would like to see PowerBoost go away for my connection, I have not tried to officially get it removed because I can see my config file name, and it is definitely a business class config file (d11_m_sb6121_bciwidebandstarter_c05.cm). Since it would seem unlikely (to me) that Comcast would customize business class config files (other than static IP configuration for the gateway boxes...but that is a different process from the normal cable modem config file) for individual customers, it never occurred to me to ask to have it changed. If it is indeed possible, I will be next in line.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to pflog
Never have figured out the logic in that stupid PB anyway. Charter only did it to try and make themselves look cool, if you ask me.

Always figured if they could give me that speed for a few moments, then there should be no reason they can't maintain it.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
PB served a purpose when it started and most peeps were on the 6/2, that brief burst made a noticeable difference.
now with the same peeps on the 25/4 or 50/10 plan the burst isn't really needed and a constant speed avoids breaking various QoS schemes.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by tshirt:

PB served a purpose when it started and most peeps were on the 6/2, that brief burst made a noticeable difference.

Actually, when it was started in my area, I was on a 6 mbps/384 kbps plan; which still was noticeably faster (even without the PowerBoost) than the 1244/256 kbps (real world ~950/190 kbps) I could get from BellSouth at that time.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to pflog
I see 30mbps/30mbps pb on business starter. after powerboost the speeds are the same as they used to be(16mbps/3mbps).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by ArrayList:

I see 30mbps/30mbps pb on business starter. after powerboost the speeds are the same as they used to be(16mbps/3mbps).

My average speeds are ok, but the traffic is erratic (policing vs. shaping). Many see the same, and it's disruptive.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to NetFixer

No response as of yet. My last post to direct went unanswered as well, so I'm not holding my breath.

The least they could do is respond with a no or at least "saw this, but cannot answer or comment" or something.
--

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to pflog

I was getting 35/6 Powerboost on my Blast! 25/4 connection, but since the upgrades I get 55/11, so either Powerboost is gone or it's been reduced by quite a bit.

FirebirdTN

join:2012-12-13
Brighton, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
I have 50/10 and still have powerboost in the downstream only.

Maybe the reason we still have it is because extreme 105 isn't available in my area. Its just a guess.

I don't like it anyway.

I had some other issues that were resolved by traffic shaping in my router on the upstream side, but later I went ahead and added shaping in my downstream side and it did exactly what I wanted-defeated powerboost. Granted, I don't get the extra "burst", but it sure keeps things consistent:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.107.216.34.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 10062 Kbps.
Downstream: 112721 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 9930 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 49429 Kbps.