darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

[Sci-Fi] Defiance: the blending of TV and Gaming (Part 2)

TV premiere is April 15 (Monday) and you can watch the first 14 minutes of the show here: »www.defiance.com/en/series/

The game launches on April 2 and the beta sign up sheet still appears to be active: »www.defiance.com/en/beta/

Original thread (too old to reply to) here: Original thread: »[Sci-Fi] SyFy: Defiance (blending gaming and tv)
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
I just noticed in the beta [NDA has been lifted], that the man and woman from the TV series appears to be sitting to the left and right of you on the ship, just before the ship crashes.

Not sure how they will explain that, as they are supposedly in St. Louis. Though supposedly characters from the TV show may make appearances in the game.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to darcilicious
They should've made a show based on a very popular game instead of starting from scratch with a new IP.

A WOW, Diablo, Mass Effect or Gears of War series would each have a large built in base of people to watch the show.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I played WOW, Diablo, and Mass effect. I wouldn't be interested in a TV series/game.

Also consider the risk you take if you violate canon.
The fans will be all over you.
Best to start fresh.

Besides, Blizzard would have a card game, mounts, pets that you'd be able to buy on game launch. Also the players would turn it into a grind fest to get the best gear for end of game. Then stand around doing nothing as they preen. EA's servers wouldn't be able to met the crush on launch day.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to darcilicious
Tried playing the beta yesterday after work and was disappointed that the servers were constantly down. Finally got in but was only able to get about 30 mins of playtime before I had to hit the hay.

I personally, find the whole concept intriguing with the TV/Game blend and think that if it's successful, it can open up more possibilities in the future.

The show looks interesting and I think we are due for another good futuristic sci-fi story.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious
Just bumping this for those that want to see the show. It starts on April 15th
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious
I watched the first 14 minutes of the Defiance premiere here:

quote:
Watch the First 14 Minutes of Defiance!
Check out a sneak peek of the first 14 minutes of Defiance
»www.defiance.com/en/series/video/2634770

I'd sat not bad,......

I wanted to see more and that is a good sign IMO.

****edit****

I think they were singing a Johnny Cash song, not sure. I don't have anything against it but I wasn't crazy about the song choice,.....

I guess it had meaning for the characters,.....

join:2013-04-08
reply to darcilicious
This looks like it could be a good TV show. I'm waiting to see the premiere next week.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to darcilicious
Can't wait.
Finally some actual sci-fi on TV.

Grimm

reply to darcilicious
Update: I picked up the game last week and can't get enough of it. When the servers aren't down, it's very fun, especially with a group of friends. Arkfalls get a little laggy but not too bad and theres usually close to 50 or more people fighting in a small area.

I also watched the 14-minute segment and am stoked for this show to start! Last night on SyFy they played a small making-of segment and they detailed more that the 'episode quests' in game are the lead-up to the show, so try and get through them before next monday night if you have the game!
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by Grimm:

Update: I picked up the game last week and can't get enough of it. When the servers aren't down, it's very fun, especially with a group of friends. Arkfalls get a little laggy but not too bad and theres usually close to 50 or more people fighting in a small area.

I have been debating on whether to get the game or not.
--

Grimm

I like it and plan on playing it a lot; atleast through the season. It's got a MMO Borderlands vibe which is cool.

I will say I play on the 360 so I do not know how enjoyable it is on the other platforms.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Grimm
said by Grimm:

I also watched the 14-minute segment and am stoked for this show to start! Last night on SyFy they played a small making-of segment and they detailed more that the 'episode quests' in game are the lead-up to the show, so try and get through them before next monday night if you have the game!

I completed the episode quests, and they were interesting.
I have a love hate relationship with the game. I love it because I get to shoot things up. I hate it, because they can shoot me up

I wish the text chat worked in the game, or even voice chat. I'm done a few side missions where other players drop in with you, and you just plug along, assisting them, with no words being exchanged, pretty eerie.

I did find a Bullet to the head quest to be a tad frustrating for a solo player. But they sat it up for solo only.
My current EGO is 203.

edit:
Forgot to mention that they plan on releasing new episod missions every week they show airs. Plus they have 3 to 5 DLCs planed for this year alone. Some will be free, some you'll have to buy.

I haven't gotten to San Fransisco yet, I hear that is real fun.

--

Grimm

My EGO is right around yours. I know I hit 200 but not sure where I'm at after that.

To be honest, I haven't really noticed the non chatter between players as the few times I am using a mic I'm in a party chat with friends. lol

I'm not sure I remember that quest, but the one where you have to clear the farm was a PITA once the Monarch/Matriarch came out.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
»forums.defiance.com/showthread.p···stice%29

Up coming patch info. I think it hits on the 15th or 16th.
--

Grimm

Thanks, I'll have to pull it up on the phone as I'm websensed. I think it hits on the 15th to coincide with the show's season premiere. I believe there is also going to be another in a few weeks but I don't know the details on that one.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I've heard that as well, about the second patch. They haven't released many details on that one.
I hang out at the Defiance game forums.

Grimm

Ok, just read the Patch notes... Wow that's alot. And it looks like they addressed what you mentioned with the area chat, which is awesome. I'm excited to get some time this weekend to actually get a decent gaming session in.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious
3 days left,....

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Grimm
I just hit the mid 300's in EGO. I'm doing a lot of the side missions and I'm nearing the point where I get to go into San Fransisco *shudders*. I hear that is a nightmare lol.

Trion gave everyone another boost to skills, script and ego for a week. Due to all the issues they have had with the servers.
I see a lot of complaints/hate thread in the Defiance forums.
I see some of the issues that those threads talk about, but I also understand the game is only a week old.
So there will be pains in getting it up and running.

I'm still having fun, especially now that I have a shot gun that fires grenades instead of normal rounds.

Though I've learned to really hate two types of Mobs.
The 99er smelters, and the 99er Black Lungers.
*Ugh* I hate them.
lol.

I'm looking forward to the TV show, because I hear that there may be a reference to the TV episode missions that were in game.

--

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

3 days left,....

re: Defiance ... saw the pilot preview (without subtitles) I don't know what to make of it yet. But, it looks like it'll be 'ok' - as far as sci fi goes, I just don't know yet if it'll grow on me.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to darcilicious
One day left ya'll,.......

Grimm

reply to Snakeoil
Hit 329 EGO yesterday myself. I'm not sure how far along in the storyline I am but I just finished the mission where you go to the island prison with Cooper. I also clear an entire area of side missions before doing a story mission; rinse and repeat. That could explain where I'm at in accordance to my level. Idk though lol. I've only faced a few of the 99ers and one was at an Arkfall. They are a definite bitch haha.

I agree with you. The game is very new, and problems are bound to come up with a game like this. I like how they gave all these boosts. Very nice of them.

TONIGHT IT STARTS! Did I hear right? That it's a 2-hour Series Premier?
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
quote:
TONIGHT IT STARTS! Did I hear right? That it's a 2-hour Series Premier?

Yep, 2 hours tonight.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

1 edit
reply to darcilicious
IMO, the show had some rough graphics, but the storyline was good.
Edit:
Damn, I didn't know the gal that plays HG Wells was the wife of the "crime boss". Great makeup job.

Grimm

I know exactly what you mean, but I liken it to the first time I saw BSG's graphics. After a few episodes I didn't notice anything odd.

Storyline was good and I think they've done things right so far:
-2 weeks of hype for the show by way of the game
-PLENTY of PR on many channels
-2 hour series premiere

The game has made me that much more interested in the show, and during the premiere it made me REALLY want to play the game.

haha yea I had to look her up as well. I thought the fight was pretty cool... lol off switch

Also: the sister who runs the Need-Want is the freaky girl from Not Another Teen Movie many moons ago
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
She was also on The L-word. Mia Kirshner is her name. Oddly enough, she isn't listed in the credits at IMDB on the Defiance page. Strange.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
She also had a recurring role as an assassin in 24.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Grimm
It was decent. I need a few more episodes to know for sure if I will be hooked or not. A lot of new stuff to absorb. As for graphics, hell I have seen a lot worse---heck if I can deal with the original star trek FX and Space:1999 FX, I have no problem with Defiance's FX.

The overall atmosphere kept reminding me of a mix between Firefly and Revolution but with aliens thrown in.
--

Grimm

said by Voxxjin:

The overall atmosphere kept reminding me of a mix between Firefly and Revolution but with aliens thrown in.

Which is awesome imo
--