uniqs

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to HeadSpinning

Anon

to HeadSpinning

Re: VMedia fights mandatory channel carriage

said by HeadSpinning:

The costs are not one time. Equipment and software have licensing and service contracts. There are per subscriber fees for middleware. There are required upgrades as time goes on. All of that equipment and software has an expected life over which the IPTV provider must recoup the costs. That translates in to a per subscriber cost. I'm just trying to point out that your assertion that everything above the programming costs are pure profit are overstated. All of that equipment and software has an expected life over which the IPTV provider must recoup the costs. That translates in to a per subscriber cost.

To my understanding, Vmedia created much of the software they are using. So a lot of those "licensing costs" just aren't there, aside from salary for the software engineers (not sure if they are the owners themselves). And costs are usually amortized over X-years anyhow.

It's also interesting to note that some of Vmedia's fight that they brought to the media (ie. like Macleans) claims they are breaking up the bundle packages and offering "a la carte choice". But this certainly doesn't seem to be the case when looking at their website. Seems they say one thing, yet do another.

Certainly is a head-scratcher when you look at the words versus what they are currently showing. But maybe they will change this.

As George said,
said by GeorgeBurger:

3. .... we try to maximize our customer's flexibility as much as we can. In any event as you can see from reading our posts and our existing website, we will be offering a la carte, over 40 channels that you can package yourself, and about 60 that you can choose standalone.

Currently all I saw were packages. No real "basic" (but this could be something forced by Bell as En Enfer pointed out, who knows). So I guess there is a change coming (per George). At least, I hope so. What I see from other IPTV "basic" packages they should be able to offer true basic and drop price by 5-6$. Not sure why they can't at the moment.

So in addition to not having the software licensing, HeadSpinning, they are currently over-priced for basic. But, then again, they aren't offering true basic (which affects price), nor are they offering a la carte.

Anyhow, currently their words don't match up with the offering and thus the price. Maybe we will see the changes when they launch on the 27th? Or maybe my browser settings prevents me from seeing something different on their webpage that matches the words? Wouldn't be the first time.

BTW, Brama Telecom is stating they are in bed with Vmedia:
»www.bramatelecom.com/pac ··· oduct=-1

Is this the other Canadian Vmedia? These two Vmedia's in Canada is getting confusing.

JoePro
join:2006-11-01
canada

JoePro

said by hm :

BTW, Brama Telecom is stating they are in bed with Vmedia:
»www.bramatelecom.com/pac ··· oduct=-1

Is this the other Canadian Vmedia? These two Vmedia's in Canada is getting confusing.

»www.vmedia.ca/info/partners.aspx