Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

[VOD] Watchaton week

Just a reminder that Watchathon weeks starts today and runs through Sunday. There is a Watchathon menu entry, but I don't know if you are limited to just those.

Either way, I can watch S5 of True Blood without waiting for the BD and renting it through Netflix (and HBO's lack of bookmarking on their BD's.)

psuPete

join:2010-08-09
Lemont, PA

Does anyone know if the navigation and selection of a program through the WATCHATHON menu is the same (uneditted) show as navigating though to the PREMIUM channel series?

Pete

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to andyross

And here's the link to the special Watchathon webpage: »xfinitytv.comcast.net/microsites/watchathon

EDIT: The full list of shows from all participating networks: »xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/201···f-shows/

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to andyross

If I'm not mistaken, they are opening up everything, even on-demand movies and series/shows that typically require a subscription to the "premium" channel in order to watch the content.

On your remote Press OnDemand and select Watchathon week!
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to andyross

Does this also apply for the shows that are part of the Streampix pkg? (ie: like the old Saturday Night Live shows, etc.)

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to andyross

A FAQ was posted here:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Video-On-D···U1634007

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to andyross

Fast Forward (disabled) was left on, so they think this "watch-a-thon" will get them more people, I would not count on it.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

so you think because customer will have to watch 5 minutes of commercials, they will not watch content that is not normally available to them?

good thing you arent in marketing.
--
I'm better than you!

moes

Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online

Commercials on VOD are what I call double dipping, No damn need for it. and I should not be forced to sit through shit, especially if I just need to catch the last 15 damn mintues of the show.

and if I was marketing for them, commercials would be a think of the past.

mariod

join:2009-06-16

said by moes:

Commercials on VOD are what I call double dipping, No damn need for it.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

And if you were in charge of marketing, and suggested eliminating commecrials, you'd be boxing up your desk ten seconds later.

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to andyross

Its been pretty much unusable for me today and tonight. It times out and gives error codes. I'm guessing its because on demand is in big demand due to the watchathon.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

same here. It is unusable keeps giving me watchathon errors. Rediculous.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to moes

said by moes:

Commercials on VOD are what I call double dipping, No damn need for it. and I should not be forced to sit through shit, especially if I just need to catch the last 15 damn mintues of the show.

and if I was marketing for them, commercials would be a think of the past.

and we would be forced to go back to slow dsl.
--
I'm better than you!

moes

Cedar City, UT

Thats fine, Slow dsl I am on now. not planning on giving it up any time soon.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to andyross

Read on the Comcast blog that they are now going to run a different show each week in a sort of mini-Watchathon. They will be offering all episodes of the current season. They are starting with "Grimm".

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to andyross

Would have loved to have been able to participate on my TiVo Premiere.....

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

If you had a tablet, cell phone, home theater PC, raspberry pi, etc. and a comcast email account, you could have.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

yeah but none compare to the TiVo. The point I was making was the ability to stress test the Xfinity App on TiVo. 168 hours straight of On Demand viewing through the TiVo...

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

I find them to be better, so I agree. Controlling it graphically from my chair right to the TV using my tablet? Awesome. No comcast equipment needed either.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

Same can be said by using the TiVo app to control the TiVo in lieu of a remote plus the added ability to access the My Recordings list, all the searches and features found on the Premiere right from the tablet without even having to be in the same room as the actual DVR.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to andyross

Looks like the Xfinity "Watchathon Week" event was a success, at least in Comcast's eyes:

Comcast ‘Watchathon Week’ Breaks VoD Marks
March Binge-Fest Outpaces Previous Usage Record by More than 42%

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - April 18, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···s/142809

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

[VOD] Watchathon Week to be an annual event

Comcast now says that "Watchathon Week" is going to become an annual event:

Comcast VOD 'Watchathon Week' to Return in 2014
McLean Suniewick Says MSO’s Cross-Platform Promo to Become an Annual Event

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 9, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···4/143196

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by telcodad:

Comcast now says that "Watchathon Week" is going to become an annual event:

Comcast VOD 'Watchathon Week' to Return in 2014
McLean Suniewick Says MSO’s Cross-Platform Promo to Become an Annual Event

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 9, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/distributio···4/143196

I think it's a good idea to get them to find and use VOD but the navigation is still such a mess that even if they find there way there they will not be able to find their shows. Most people never use OnDemand because of the navigational issues and the commecericls (which can sometimes run 3-10mins per commercial cycle). Also the commercials and blocking fast forward are two reasons I don't use VOD unless I didn't record a show by accident or missed a show. They block you from using the page up/down button to skip ahead 5 mins to forward through shows. The other day I missed Hells Kitchen and I started it on VOD but 3/4 through I had to use the bathroom. I paused it but when I got back it was back on the VOD title screen and in saved programs the show was there but the counter was reset to 0, which meant I would have to sit through 3/4 of the show again to see the last 15mins! I simply stooped watching and I was so pissed I vowed not to buy or watch anything in the commercials I saw. If we all did this Comcast would be forced to change their policy. That's just one example but I can give a million. Comcast VOD is a joke, it's slow, unresponsive selection is hit & miss and a by whole it's a navigational mess!

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad

Still waiting for my gosh darn TiVo On Demand service for the Cisco areas. I chewed out the executives about how they blew off all their customers and postponed required service updates for their marketing department Watchathon event. How do they expect customers to be able to WATCH the On Demand content on their set top boxes if the update that stabilizes those very same set top boxes are postponed until after the event? If anything they should have used the event to light a fire under the engineering department's butts to speed up deployment until it's completed and make the deadline.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Does anyone else think that Comcast could really care less about offering On Demand for Tivo users? Think about, Tivo users do not pay the same as a Comcast DVR user (DVR rental fee), which = less $$ for Comcast. So why should they invest their resources on a less revenue producing offering?
--
Yesh

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Spiderman865:

Tivo users do not pay the same as a Comcast DVR user (DVR rental fee), which = less $$ for Comcast. So why should they invest their resources on a less revenue producing offering?

Actually, encouraging TiVo users to use VoD would be a way to possibly extract more revenue from them, because of all the pay-to-view, premium content available there.

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by telcodad:

said by Spiderman865:

Tivo users do not pay the same as a Comcast DVR user (DVR rental fee), which = less $$ for Comcast. So why should they invest their resources on a less revenue producing offering?

Actually, encouraging TiVo users to use VoD would be a way to possibly extract more revenue from them, because of all the pay-to-view, premium content available there.

I never thought of it that way since I only use On Demand to watch the premium stuff that's included in my package.
--
Yesh

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Spiderman865:

said by telcodad:

said by Spiderman865:

I never thought of it that way since I only use On Demand to watch the premium stuff that's included in my package.

I know, I normally only watch the no-extra-charge items on VoD myself.

The only On Demand program that I have paid extra for recently was a Rolling Stones concert (my wife's favorite band).

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by telcodad:

The only On Demand program that I have paid extra for recently was a Rolling Stones concert (my wife's favorite band).

I agree, I have Vudu on my Sammy Plasma and it does 1080p, which looks good (not quite as good as Bluray but close). Why should I pay $5.99 for compressed as hell 1080i (if I'm lucky) when I can pay the same and get 1080p? Also Vudu offers different prices for 1080P, 720P and 480P which is great! Plus the GUI is so easy to use and it provides me with Rotten Tomatoes, Community and other reviews not to mention instant director, actor info and access to all those others movies. It's everything Comcast OnDemand should be and is currently a million miles (aka a decade away for Comcast) away from the current OnDemand on the iGuide (anyway). Plus I have Netflix and other video services. Comcast loses out as I don't feel like spending an hour doing research on my computer to find a movie. I watch some of the free stuff only on my friends and families TV's as they most don't have DVR's. The sad part is not one person I know, knows how to use OnDemand, lol, and most don't even know it's there! Just my two pennies, peace....

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Spiderman865

said by Spiderman865:

said by telcodad:

Shhh Don't let Comcast hear this or they'll pull the plug on the app
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with tech problems.